Why did no one warn me that Rime is this bad?

Started by Legend, Dec 02, 2019, 11:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I've been holding out on the game for a few years since I was waiting till the right moment to breakdown the game from a dev point of view. Seems that was unnecessary.

It's possible the rest will be better and it's very probable I'm being overly harsh since I have been looking forward to the game, but the first few hours are just so by the books. Instead of it being a genre redefining indie game, it feels like a poor man's recreation of PS3 classics. The puzzles are the type you'd expect to find in non puzzle games. They are extremely simple and more or less lack anything interesting. The story/setting goes for Journy's zero context approach but lacks a clear defined goal.

Again I'm being harsh here but I've been playing for a few hours and the lower level of quality than I expected it me out of left field.

the-pi-guy

>Instead of it being a genre redefining indie game

Who said it was genre defining?  

I vaguely remember there being a lot of excitement when the game was shown off, and then there was disappointment when the game actually launched.  

kitler53

I vaguely remember there being a lot of excitement when the game was shown off, and then there was disappointment when the game actually launched.  
disappointment came long before the game released,.. at least for me.  when sony sold the game's publishing rights back to tequila works we all knew something must be wrong with the game.  game then came out about a year later with a new publisher to mediocre reviews.  sony gave it away as part of ps+ so i think i may get around to trying it one of these days but i'm not expecting much.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

Is Rime that colourful puzzle game?

Legend

Is Rime that colourful puzzle game?

Pre launch was the only time it had major hype but it still has like an 80 on metacritic.

This game so far feels way worse than that.

disappointment came long before the game released,.. at least for me.  when sony sold the game's publishing rights back to tequila works we all knew something must be wrong with the game.  game then came out about a year later with a new publisher to mediocre reviews.  sony gave it away as part of ps+ so i think i may get around to trying it one of these days but i'm not expecting much.
That's kinda how I felt too but the gameplay is just so bland. I expected something interesting at least but instead it's just very "casual."

"Oh no, a pig is blocking your path! Turn around and grab a vegetable to distract the pig!"

I can tell that most of these bad puzzles are being used to set players up for slightly more complex interactions later on but it doesn't feel good at all.

"Oh no, a door in front of you is locked! Just grab the key directly in front of the door to unlock it!"

It feels like they never want players to have to think. Only 1.5 puzzles so far have had any sort of puzzleyness to them beyond "you need to notice the thing we are drawing attention to."

I wonder how development went with this game. I'll try to find some interviews after I finish it since I'd completely understand if this version of the game was hacked together after Sony dropped out.

kitler53

That's kinda how I felt too but the gameplay is just so bland. I expected something interesting at least but instead it's just very "casual."

"Oh no, a pig is blocking your path! Turn around and grab a vegetable to distract the pig!"

I can tell that most of these bad puzzles are being used to set players up for slightly more complex interactions later on but it doesn't feel good at all.

"Oh no, a door in front of you is locked! Just grab the key directly in front of the door to unlock it!"

It feels like they never want players to have to think. Only 1.5 puzzles so far have had any sort of puzzleyness to them beyond "you need to notice the thing we are drawing attention to."

I wonder how development went with this game. I'll try to find some interviews after I finish it since I'd completely understand if this version of the game was hacked together after Sony dropped out.

sounds like every zelda game i ever played.   must mean this is one of the greatest games ever created.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I finished the game.

It got better towards the end but had a poor ending imo. I'd compare it a lot to Bound. That game had VR to help make up for the poorer gameplay.

Some puzzles became puzzles but I really wouldn't call this a puzzle focused game. Instead it has more of a story focus.

Xevross

This is the kind of title written by someone who treats their own opinion as fact. I know you're not that kind of guy, Mike! It has a 78 on opencritic, with plenty of reviews in the "weak" range, so a little research would have shown its perfectly possible for you to not like Rime when you play it.

I finished the game.

It got better towards the end but had a poor ending imo. I'd compare it a lot to Bound. That game had VR to help make up for the poorer gameplay.

Some puzzles became puzzles but I really wouldn't call this a puzzle focused game. Instead it has more of a story focus.
Yeah from what I've seen I wouldn't describe it as a puzzle game. It looks like its one of those Journey style, chill indie adventure games but it doesn't pull it off anywhere near as well. The devs describe it as "puzzle-adventure", which I guess implies it should be a bit more puzzle focused than it actually is. Plus this kind of game has been done a lot now, and Rime doesn't seem to do much to be unique.

Legend

This is the kind of title written by someone who treats their own opinion as fact. I know you're not that kind of guy, Mike! It has a 78 on opencritic, with plenty of reviews in the "weak" range, so a little research would have shown its perfectly possible for you to not like Rime when you play it.
(the title and op are primarily hyperbole)

Yeah from what I've seen I wouldn't describe it as a puzzle game. It looks like its one of those Journey style, chill indie adventure games but it doesn't pull it off anywhere near as well. The devs describe it as "puzzle-adventure", which I guess implies it should be a bit more puzzle focused than it actually is. Plus this kind of game has been done a lot now, and Rime doesn't seem to do much to be unique.
One specific thing I'm interested in is the game's fox that shows you where to go. Was this added in to help with player confusion or was it planned to be there the whole time? It was very hard to see on screen and half of my game was marco polo using surround sound and the fox's "bark" for lack of a better word.

Xevross

(the title and op are primarily hyperbole)

One specific thing I'm interested in is the game's fox that shows you where to go. Was this added in to help with player confusion or was it planned to be there the whole time? It was very hard to see on screen and half of my game was marco polo using surround sound and the fox's "bark" for lack of a better word.
Yeah I know :P

The real reason no one warned you was because none of us played it. After a big deal was made of the reveal the game kind of faded into nothingness. I totally forgot about it until a streamer I watched played it a month or so ago.

The fox definitely seems like it was planned from the start, but it just wasn't implemented very well gameplay wise.

the-pi-guy

The real reason no one warned you was because none of us played it.
Get your facts out of here, boy!  

Legend

The real reason no one warned you was because none of us played it. After a big deal was made of the reveal the game kind of faded into nothingness. I totally forgot about it until a streamer I watched played it a month or so ago.

The fox definitely seems like it was planned from the start, but it just wasn't implemented very well gameplay wise.
The original leak if I remember right talked about the devs wanting survival mechanics and more exploration. I doubt a fox telling you where to go would have worked in that version but who knows.

So many early PS4 announcements faded into obscurity/didn't release. Freaken heck, one of those games is even mine.

nnodley

yeah i never finished it, but i liked what i played though. Can't say it was a good game, just ok

Dr. Pezus

I actually started but stopped an hour or so in. Too boring