Pokemon Sword & Shield Sell-Through Over 6M Opening Weekend Worldwide, New Record for Switch

Started by Xevross, Nov 21, 2019, 03:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

News: Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield Sales Exceed 6 Million Units Worldwide After Massive Launch Weekend | Business Wire

Era thread: TPC: Pokémon Sword & Shield has sold through 6M copies (2M in Japan alone). It's the fastest selling Nintendo Switch software ever. | ResetEra

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/corporate/PostImages/b1b2b7b4ea55eef149f2bc849c194eea958c68c6.pdf
 Trying to work out if they mean Friday through Sunday. I think it is as we don't have a full week on sale yet

Also it has sold 2 million in Japan alone from physical and digital in the first week of sale. A step up from the low 1.3 physical that was reported, so that's almost a third digital  
Other notable records: this is the new record for opening weekend revenue in the US for pokemon. Over 2M in Japan means an insane digital ratio of over 33% there.

Dr. Pezus

Crazy sales. Just goes to show reviews and boycotts don't affect sales for Pokemon lol

Xevross

Crazy sales. Just goes to show reviews and boycotts don't affect sales for Pokemon lol
Not true. Zhuge pointed out that at least 7.5billion didn't buy the game, so its actually quite the flop.

BananaKing

I really really don't understand how pokemon is still so big

Cute Pikachu

Simple. It has one of the greatest hooks in gaming. Also is the biggest media franchise on the planet.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

BananaKing

Simple. It has one of the greatest hooks in gaming. Also is the biggest media franchise on the planet.
Biggest media franchise? Yeah.. no.

the-pi-guy

The big TV series plays a part. 

But honestly the biggest thing is probably that Pokemon has 0 competition. 

Name another monster collectathon with hundreds of monsters that has variety, multiplayer options in a package that is available to all ages. 

If CoD sucks, there are other FPS games.  If Pokemon sucks and you like collectathons, you have to suck it up. 

Xevross

Biggest media franchise? Yeah.. no.
You say that like its an opinion, pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time.

Dr. Pezus

The big TV series plays a part.  

But honestly the biggest thing is probably that Pokemon has 0 competition.  

Name another monster collectathon with hundreds of monsters that has variety, multiplayer options in a package that is available to all ages.  

If CoD sucks, there are other FPS games.  If Pokemon sucks and you like collectathons, you have to suck it up.  
Digimon

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Digimon
The exact response I expected, because it's pretty much the only thing.

There are a bunch of reasons Pokemon is bigger though:
-Pokemon came first, so Digimon was considered a rip off.
-Digimon has struggled a lot with quality games.  The highest rated Digimon game I can find is on the Vita....
-Pokemon has Nintendo's backing.

And plenty of other reasons too.

BananaKing

You say that like its an opinion, pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time.
Holly fudgy shame that's  true. I did not expect it to be bigger than Starwars.

the-pi-guy

Holly fudgy shame that's  true. I did not expect it to be bigger than Starwars.
Pokemon cards, toys, etc, there are a lot of them.  

Dr. Pezus

Pokemon cards, toys, etc, there are a lot of them.  
Lots of star wars merchandise too though, magazines, books, toys, pictures, clothes. I'm surprised Pokemon is bigger tbh

Cute Pikachu

Nov 25, 2019, 02:19 PM Last Edit: Nov 25, 2019, 02:26 PM by Cute Pikachu
Lots of star wars merchandise too though, magazines, books, toys, pictures, clothes. I'm surprised Pokemon is bigger tbh
Star Wars struggles primarily in places such as Europe and the Middle East. Most of its revenue in particular is US heavy( see Epsiode 7 gross being 50% from the US). Pokémon has the benefit of not only being huge in the US, but Europe, SA, Mexico and Canada, Asia(especially), and elsewhere. It also helps that the show has continued to be popular worldwide and it's still one of the biggest card games out there.
Pokémon usually is able to grab kids in a larger scale than Star Wars since the concept is more appealing for young kids  when you are younger. Star Wars you can get toys and see movies but young kids aren't gonna be getting cards or playing Battlefront when they are 3 or 4 likely.

That's kinda why. It's actually interesting because pokemon's Fan base skews pretty young and Star Wars skews much much older so it is surprising.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new