TLOU2 is better than the first

Started by Legend, Jul 24, 2021, 06:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I still think about tlou2. It really stuck with me.

Most games should not be like tlou2 but I'm really glad it happened.

the-pi-guy

Hmmm, gameplay wise easily.

But I still prefer the story of the first one.  

kitler53

I'll get around to playing soon and get back to you.  

...and by that I mean I probably won't get to it for another year or two and i'll have completed forgotten about this by then. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

I'd agree with this 100%.  Both are masterpieces, but i had the desire to replay the first more than i have with part 2.  So many great moments in both though.

Legend

I'd agree with this 100%.  Both are masterpieces, but i had the desire to replay the first more than i have with part 2.  So many great moments in both though.
I'd prefer to replay the first. It is way better imo at being fun.

TLOU2 is more destructive. It has traditional flaws and issues, but it also purposefully cannibalizes moments in order to be more authentic. TLOU1 at the time felt like the antithesis to Uncharted, but in hindsight it was primarily an improvement of it. GOW 2018 is an incredible game that follows this trend. Story is near perfect, gameplay is near perfect, the balance of joy and pain is near perfect, etc.

TLOU2 has partially stuck with me so well because it was hard to consume. My appreciation of the game has grown significantly once I put the controller down and let my thoughts simmer for the past year. Upon completion I think I reviewed it as a high 8.

the-pi-guy

I guess I feel that the first game was closer to perfect, but the second one did more things that were more unique/transformative.

How many games have you play as two characters and have a boss fight out of both of them?  

The game did a lot to make you empathize with your enemies, and did a lot to make fighting brutal in a way that made you regret doing it.