God of War |OT| Now on PC

Started by Xevross, Apr 11, 2018, 05:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

God of War Review Thread | Page 378 | ResetEra

There's a storm coming, Harry
Listening to this now. God these guys shouldn't call themselves journalists. fudge me. I'd do a way better job than them.

This is why I don't expect this to stay at 95.

Dr. Pezus

Listening to this now. God these guys shouldn't call themselves journalists. fudge me. I'd do a way better job than them.

This is why I don't expect this to stay at 95.
I wonder why meta even uses their reviews...

the-pi-guy

Do you have a better summary of it?

Xevross

Do you have a better summary of it?
Well first of all, they seem to have no idea of the franchise history. The reviewer is 3/4 through the game, and wasn't sure whether the last game was God of War 4 or 5  :-\

So far he seems fairly positive though, and apparently the ending of the game is really great so there's a chance his opinion goes up. But I'm not seeing them give more than an 8 here. Seems like a 6/7 honestly.

Legend

"Troll" reviews are interesting. Without metacritic it wouldn't matter and people could be people, but with metacritic it actually is something that the industry needs to think about. The best option would be to just go back to not caring about metacritic but that'd never happen  ::)

Xevross

His main criticism seems to be that he's playing a video game. He doesn't like that there's loot and stuff while also being a story. Because if you have a good story then having videogamey stuff like chests of loot just doesn't make sense and it should be story only.

He's basically saying stick with the new direction, story focused etc. and cut out the gameplay/ light hearted stuff and most of the side stuff, or just not bother with the journey/ new narrative etc.

I don't get what's wrong with him, it seems like he just doesn't like video games. He's calling the RPG elements like upgrade "garbage busy work"... :(

"Troll" reviews are interesting. Without metacritic it wouldn't matter and people could be people, but with metacritic it actually is something that the industry needs to think about. The best option would be to just go back to not caring about metacritic but that'd never happen  ::)
Yeah the issue is that the industry cares about metacritic too much.

the-pi-guy

Well first of all, they seem to have no idea of the franchise history. The reviewer is 3/4 through the game, and wasn't sure whether the last game was God of War 4 or 5  :-\

Xevross

the-pi-guy

His main criticism seems to be that he's playing a video game. He doesn't like that there's loot and stuff while also being a story. Because if you have a good story then having videogamey stuff like chests of loot just doesn't make sense and it should be story only.

He's basically saying stick with the new direction, story focused etc. and cut out the gameplay/ light hearted stuff and most of the side stuff, or just not bother with the journey/ new narrative etc.

I don't get what's wrong with him, it seems like he just doesn't like video games. He's calling the RPG elements like upgrade "garbage busy work"... :(
Yeah the issue is that the industry cares about metacritic too much.
There's a few reviewers that I think don't like games.  

Xevross

There's a few reviewers that I think don't like games. 
Well these guys seem to like games, but they don't like it when you put a game and a story together.

I gave up listening when they were comparing it to TLOU. Saying that all the gameplay elements in TLOU interrupted what would have been an incredible story. "You have this emotional moment but then you have to fight these zombies, or craft this battleship bomb"...

Seems to me, they think if any game wants to attempt a good story it should be a walking simulator and never interrupt this story with any gameplay whatsoever. I just don't get their mentality at all.

Also he says this game isn't that good at telling the story either. Then his only reason is that a few key moments need some longer pauses of silence after to reflect upon them. I mean, if you want to reflect on what just happened then pause the game wtf.

His main summary quote is "very good but with a lot of problems", sounds to me like he'll give it a 7 but we'll see.

Dr. Pezus

Well these guys seem to like games, but they don't like it when you put a game and a story together.

I gave up listening when they were comparing it to TLOU. Saying that all the gameplay elements in TLOU interrupted what would have been an incredible story. "You have this emotional moment but then you have to fight these zombies, or craft this battleship bomb"...

Seems to me, they think if any game wants to attempt a good story it should be a walking simulator and never interrupt this story with any gameplay whatsoever. I just don't get their mentality at all.

Also he says this game isn't that good at telling the story either. Then his only reason is that a few key moments need some longer pauses of silence after to reflect upon them. I mean, if you want to reflect on what just happened then pause the game wtf.

His main summary quote is "very good but with a lot of problems", sounds to me like he'll give it a 7 but we'll see.
They must really like telltale games

the-pi-guy

It sounds like my perfect game would be a 7/10.  

Xevross

It sounds like my perfect game would be a 7/10.  
Lol yeah same. I want an amazing story with some fun gameplay in between. Well, at least that's what I thought my perfect game was until BOTW showed me otherwise.

If he didn't like the combat it would make sense but it seemed to me that he quite enjoyed the combat in the game too.

Xevross

Someone on Era quoted part of the podcast:

"I couldn't find a good emotional line for me to stay on. I ended up deciding that the story and narrative were the most valuable part of the game so far. And I decided to ignore all of the upgrades, side quests, everything not on the critical path. It detracted from my enjoyment of the game. It was really hard to feel the emotional beats and the pacing. Get your narrative out of the way quickly so then I can go into the systems if I want to. I'm surprised how much garbage is in the game that doesn't need to be there."

This guy should get a new job. Maybe he'd enjoy reviewing films a bit more.

Doesn't really sound like a Gow criticism, just any game with a story in general. Basically "I like the story so much, that I get annoyed when I have to actually play a video game for a bit before the next story bit". If this was me, I'd just be delighted I was loving the story so much. The gameplay bits are the reason I play games, instead of reading books/ watching movies for stories. If you want to skip those bits and focus on a story then wtf are you doing playing games. Smh.

Legend

I'm skimming his stuff but maybe he just has different views. :P

(Will need to play gow myself first)

Go Up