Design a better OS for videogame consoles!

Started by Legend, Feb 21, 2015, 06:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

With modern digital libraries, the OSs of the old just don't work.

What would be your ideal OS?

7H3

"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Mmm_fish_tacos

7H3

It works well enough on my sony smart phone... can easily organize and switch between apps while maximizing cpu / ram usage and energy efficiency...

i/o would need to be altered and some of the GUI but could work as a great base to grow from and customize for a console

Legend

It works well enough on my sony smart phone... can easily organize and switch between apps while maximizing cpu / ram usage and energy efficiency...

i/o would need to be altered and some of the GUI but could work as a great base to grow from and customize for a console

Consoles don't have touch screens though, except wii u.

7H3

Consoles don't have touch screens though, except wii u.

touch pad on ds4... also samsung Droid tablets can utilize a mouse and k/b input
also companion app... so I think that is the smallest of issues for it honestly.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Okay, I'm just going to spit ball some ideas. It would be easier to show you but i don't have time for that.

Desktop, You're friends list will be displayed here, your favorite video app will also, along with your game pile. and the option to display your favorite streamer.
Game pile. These are the games you're playing. It's place on Your "desktop" The only gif that is shown is the game thats currently in the systems or the last played
Game library, think of walking to a shelf and having your games displayed as such.  Flicking the right stick right will get you there.
App library,   this will be shown it the typical App "card" fashion. Flicking the right stick left will get you there.
Video library, This will be show the same way a game library is showed and flicking up on the right stick will take you there.
Internet, Flick down on the right stick Will take you to chrome.

Your friends list will be in the upper left of your desk top, with your favorite friends showing if they are line, with what they are playing. Options to join, or chat/video chat, share.

Streamers will be in a box, on the right. Clicking will bring it full screen, You're rating of  your favorite streamers will determine who shows in the box if there's more than one online.

Accessing setting will be Triangle anywhere within the os.
Ps store will be clicking down on the touch pad.

I'll add more later.

the-pi-guy

That's the difficulty, the OS on the phones work well because of touch screen, the OS on computers work well because of mouse/keyboard. 
With the consoles, the primary form of control is the controllers.  Analog sticks do great for some types of motion, but not the same kind as a computer mouse.  Outside of games, I think the best thing to do is for controls in just up and down and left and right directions.