Sony FY23 Q3 - sounds dire

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 14, 2024, 12:58 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

There's a weird direness with all the layoffs.

There's a part of me wondering if in like 5 years, things will calm down.

It's not even remotely the same thing, but I am kind of thinking the weird late-PS3/pre-PS4 era, where a lot of people were convinced that mobile was just going to replace the console industry. It was growing, handhelds were basically dead in the water.

Is the industry going to have another moment where it like collectively goes "turns out we panicked for no reason"

kitler53

There's a weird direness with all the layoffs.

There's a part of me wondering if in like 5 years, things will calm down.

It's not even remotely the same thing, but I am kind of thinking the weird late-PS3/pre-PS4 era, where a lot of people were convinced that mobile was just going to replace the console industry. It was growing, handhelds were basically dead in the water.

Is the industry going to have another moment where it like collectively goes "turns out we panicked for no reason"
Sony"s statements were a panic for no reason set of statements.   they can be successful without growth.  they can be sustainable if they just manage their studios better.  

...but they could kill off their own consoles with their reactions.  day-1 PC is what hurt Xbox more than anything.    if Sony follows suit Nintendo will be the lone console maker eventually.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BananaKing

Sony"s statements were a panic for no reason set of statements.   they can be successful without growth.  they can be sustainable if they just manage their studios better.  

...but they could kill off their own consoles with their reactions.  day-1 PC is what hurt Xbox more than anything.    if Sony follows suit Nintendo will be the lone console maker eventually.  
Gaming has grown so much yet console sales have remained about the same each gen.

Console makers are losing potential growth and market share to PC. Supporting PC IMO is a dumb idea.

Sony should aim to have 200 million console sales each gen, not 100. That's why they aren't seeing growth IMO.

Let third parties do their thing, get a 30% cut. That's money that is risk free. I don't see why they aren't content with that. And just keep building your first party, let it grow, and sell more accessories.

Steam/valve is laughing all the way to the bank. Their competitors are giving them games. Sony isn't even opening a market store on PC!!!! If they want to grow on PC it should be like this
Single player game launch
- PS consoles day 1
- PS Store PC -  2 years or more depending on legs (could go up to 4 or 5).
- Steam 6 -12 months after PS Store PC launch.

Horizon

All Sony need to do is get to about 65 million by the time GTA 6 launches and let that game do the heavy lifting. That game is going to sell millions of PS5's.

As for budgets only their big studios (ND,SSM, Insomniac, GG, PD) should get $200-300m budgets. Sucker Punch should get up to $200m and Bend up to $150m as they have shown they can sell games. The rest should get up to $150m till they prove they can deliver.

There is no reason to panic. It honestly sounds like the latter half of gen will be filled with bangers. Plus stuff like Helldivers 2 can come out of nowhere and be a big hit. This Totoki needs to be careful he's not too focused on profitability and compromise the whole business.

BananaKing

All Sony need to do is get to about 65 million by the time GTA 6 launches and let that game do the heavy lifting. That game is going to sell millions of PS5's.

As for budgets only their big studios (ND,SSM, Insomniac, GG, PD) should get $200-300m budgets. Sucker Punch should get up to $200m and Bend up to $150m as they have shown they can sell games. The rest should get up to $150m till they prove they can deliver.

There is no reason to panic. It honestly sounds like the latter half of gen will be filled with bangers. Plus stuff like Helldivers 2 can come out of nowhere and be a big hit. This Totoki needs to be careful he's not too focused on profitability and compromise the whole business.
I'm not panicking. They are doing good business and making a lot of money. They just released HD2 to great success.
But It seems the next 12 months will be slow from a first party perspective. Which is a shame as I love sony first party games

Horizon

I'm not panicking. They are doing good business and making a lot of money. They just released HD2 to great success.
But It seems the next 12 months will be slow from a first party perspective. Which is a shame as I love sony first party games
Oh yeah it sucks but it does seem like 2025-2027 could be absolutely packed.

kitler53

Gaming has grown so much yet console sales have remained about the same each gen.

Console makers are losing potential growth and market share to PC. Supporting PC IMO is a dumb idea.

Sony should aim to have 200 million console sales each gen, not 100. That's why they aren't seeing growth IMO.

Let third parties do their thing, get a 30% cut. That's money that is risk free. I don't see why they aren't content with that. And just keep building your first party, let it grow, and sell more accessories.

Steam/valve is laughing all the way to the bank. Their competitors are giving them games. Sony isn't even opening a market store on PC!!!! If they want to grow on PC it should be like this
Single player game launch
- PS consoles day 1
- PS Store PC -  2 years or more depending on legs (could go up to 4 or 5).
- Steam 6 -12 months after PS Store PC launch.
generally agree with you but will reply/expand.

i agree,.. just plopping their games on steam is basically giving away their shame for nothing in return.    if sony really thinks they can expand to PC i would say they do what MS kind of half-assed.    make their own PC market store to compete with valve and make it at least an option for games to be cross-buy with ps5 like they did with vita/ps4.    competing with valve clearly won't be easy but i've used steam and i've got to say,.. it's not that great.    

if sony thinks day-1 PC is a thing that make that day-1 PC on the playstation PC store exclusively.      ...port to steam if you must but make that port the 1-2 year later to promote your own store.   that store doesn't need to be the market leader to be profitable and a positive impact on your ecosystem.

next up if you want to grow you need to approach it like apple did with the iphone.   find your core market first and then find markets that are tangential and creep on in.  that's how iphone became not just a phone but also a camera, a gps, a credit card.   

sony's console lives under the TV.   they've already expanded from games to TV services (netflix).   there are other services well suited for a TV though.   the exercise video is already a multi-billions dollar industry.  for the love of god why can't i access my nike fitness app via the ps5?  as nintendo has shown with ringfit and the balance board consoles are uniquely suited for offering a novel form of exercise oriented content.

next up let's talk about form factor,.. one detail of why nintendo can sell so many units is because they are selling a handheld not a TV console.    TV consoles are a 1 per househould item.  hand held is 1 per child.   i'm literally the only person i know that has 2x ps4s but i know dozens of households with 2, 3,4 switches.  i don't personally want sony to go the route of switch.  i'd rather they did a steam/steamdeck kind of thing but for the love of god what was sony thinking with projectQ.   that thing should have cost $600 and be able to play games locally as a mobile version of a ps5.

now let's talk content.  it's impossible for me to recommend a playstation to young kids.   they have to be on nintendo.   i love sony's content but it trends soo old.  sony needs family friendly content.  for that matter they need the rest of their ecosystem to be child friendly too.   my kids profile prevents him from playing mature rated games but if he launches the ps store he will mostly likely be seeing promotions for CoD and other content he wouldn't be able to play if the downloaded it.   wtf??

anyways, there is plenty of avenues for growth that isn't "let's do what we've always done but dump our games on steam...."

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

Sony's "profit margins" are low compared to business land.  Which is why "experts" are complaining.  They used to be sort of in-between Nintendo and massive budgets in terms of their profit margins.  But that changed recently (I wonder why) and now they're reaping what they sowed.  Sony will be fine, but their studios need to be reigned in.  When Insomniac somehow bamboozled their budget for Spider-man 2, something's wrong.

Go Up