the-pi-guy

Tripwire Interactive

Limited Run Games

Singtrix

Tuxedo Labs

IP rights to Lord of the Rings

opens 11th operating group Embracer Freemode

In this last article:
We are also proud to officially announce that we recently acquired Tatsujin which is Embracer's first studio located in Japan. Tatsujin is led by Masahiro Yuge, one of the founders of the iconic arcade games studio Toaplan known for games such as Truxton, Snow Bros and Flying Shark. Acquiring the rights to the Toaplan catalogue separately in another deal means Tatsujin with several employees that once created the Toaplan games can now curate these classics and shepherd them into the future.

Freemode also acquired Bitwave Games, a Swedish studio with passion for retro games. With the backing of Freemode, Bitwave can expand the internal development team and build a publishing team. Bitwave will bring the highly regarded shoot 'em up games from Toaplan to PC and publish the NES/Famicom classic platformer Gimmick! on console and modern consoles in the west.

We are also excited to announce that we recently acquired Gioteck one Europe`s leading gaming accessory brands. Gioteck has a rich heritage spanning 2 decades. We believe there are great opportunities for Gioteck to collaborate within Embracer as well as the wider gaming industry.

Legend

Supposedly there is a controversy around limited run games with many believing they are a very manipulative company.

I wonder if any of this will change with new owners.

kitler53

all studios i don't know about.   so overall i don't have much of an opinion about this.

i'm fine with the limited run games although that seems to be the thing people are most intrigued to discuss.  i'm not into physical at all so i couldn't give a fukt.   also embracer is a owner of a rather large catalog of small but cult loved games.  seems like a good fit to me but what do i know...

all and all i'm just glad it's not tencent.   china and their authoritative restrictions on free speech need to stay the fukt out of video games.

...a bit mift that such a AA group as embracer now has the LoTRs rights though.   A big IP like that should be with a AAA developer. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens