Make your 2022 Gaming Predictions!

Started by the-pi-guy, Dec 28, 2021, 05:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

This isn't a prediction, let alone a 2022 prediction.  

But it would be interesting if in the future we started seeing fewer exclusives to hardware, and started seeing subscription exclusives.

TES VI comes to PS5, but you will get it on Gamepass.

BananaKing

But it would be interesting if in the future we started seeing fewer exclusives to hardware, and started seeing subscription exclusives.

If gamepass only consisted of xbox games, no other third party, and the only way to use gamepass on PS5 was to buy it though the PS5 store, I think Sony would agree to have it on.
But when GP has for example, games like hitman or avengers on it. Then that means GP is eating away at third party sales on PS. That song won't allow because it will kill their profits

the-pi-guy

On Xbox Game Pass twitter: MLB the show: https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass
On PlayStation twitter: Ghostwire Tokyo: https://twitter.com/PlayStation

It's starting. /s

the-pi-guy

Bump:

I'm probably 80% confident we will see a June show for PlayStation. The FFXVI trailer is waiting for something, and there are supposed to be a few titles that are supposed to be released later this year.

I think the Xbox E3 show will be massive. I think chances are good this will be a show where Zenimax and Xbox align more and they are able to start showing off bigger stuff.

If Sony acquires a publisher this year, I think they will acquire Square Enix.
Some publishers like Take Two, EA are valuable, but they're very expensive. Seems unlikely.
Ubisoft is cheap, but they're massive. Bringing on 21,000 employees would be insane, and it seems more likely that they're going to get bought by someone else to keep Ubisoft running the way they are.  
Konami doesn't have much for studios.
Bandai Namco might make sense, but I think they have a lot of other businesses like toys that might be a deterrent.
Capcom would bring Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, MegaMan, etc.  
Square Enix would bring Final Fantasy (which is huge by itself), Kingdom Hearts, etc.
Either would bring quite a bit of development experience.

kitler53

I still don't get why Sony would buy SE.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I still don't get why Sony would buy SE. 
1.) Old IPs to put on PS+ service.

2.) Final Fantasy is one of the biggest IPs in gaming. You could certainly argue that the game wouldn't do as well if it missed PlayStation, but that logic isn't stopping Sony from spending money to ensure that Final Fantasy XVI, VII Remake, VII Remake 2 are exclusive. Square Enix was pretty notable in why PS, PS2 were successful. And Sony wants to hold on to them and be the main platform for FF.

3.) Large number of RPG studios. Could basically be a Japanese version of the Zenimax acquisition. Sony could control the JRPGs in the same way MS is controlling the WRPGs.

4.) Could help ensure that smaller titles end up also hitting PlayStation. They make games like bravely default, octopath traveler, and others that never released on PlayStation.

5.) If they see any potential in making movies for Final fantasy or others, they could.

Legend

Would be cool if Sony did a May show. How early did they announce their two PS5 events?

Xbox show should be banging. Just wish it was longer. Might be too early but they could have a lot of cgi trailers to make a statement like "this is what xbox enables for Bethesda."

BananaKing

Would be cool if Sony did a May show. How early did they announce their two PS5 events?

Xbox show should be banging. Just wish it was longer. Might be too early but they could have a lot of cgi trailers to make a statement like "this is what xbox enables for Bethesda."
They had so many cgi trailers in the last couple of years that they need new proper footage for them now

kitler53

1.) Old IPs to put on PS+ service.

2.) Final Fantasy is one of the biggest IPs in gaming. You could certainly argue that the game wouldn't do as well if it missed PlayStation, but that logic isn't stopping Sony from spending money to ensure that Final Fantasy XVI, VII Remake, VII Remake 2 are exclusive. Square Enix was pretty notable in why PS, PS2 were successful. And Sony wants to hold on to them and be the main platform for FF.

3.) Large number of RPG studios. Could basically be a Japanese version of the Zenimax acquisition. Sony could control the JRPGs in the same way MS is controlling the WRPGs.

4.) Could help ensure that smaller titles end up also hitting PlayStation. They make games like bravely default, octopath traveler, and others that never released on PlayStation.

5.) If they see any potential in making movies for Final fantasy or others, they could.
mayhaps. 

it would be nice to get ports of the Nintendo exclusives like octopath traveler. but I'm just not sure FF is big enough of a franchise to be ps exclusive and still be huge.  people would buy a ps if they had to to get GTA or Red dead.   ...but FF?

I feel like this would screw Nintendo moreso than MS.   ...aand Japan seems like they could not care less about home consoles anymore.  

I wish Sony would do a vita 2 that could be cross compatible will PS5 games at a low resolution.   I like the idea of taking my library in the go but hate how switch feels like a compromised platform in either format. 

the-pi-guy

mayhaps.

it would be nice to get ports of the Nintendo exclusives like octopath traveler. but I'm just not sure FF is big enough of a franchise to be ps exclusive and still be huge.  people would buy a ps if they had to to get GTA or Red dead.   ...but FF?
I mean, Final Fantasy isn't a mega franchise like GTA. It's more like God of War (except historically it was bigger than God of War, less so today). It's a 8-15 million seller that is heavily associated with PlayStation.  

I feel like this would screw Nintendo moreso than MS.   ...aand Japan seems like they could not care less about home consoles anymore.  

There are lots of reasons to buy a publisher aside from screwing over the competition.

Especially if Sony wants to push a Game Pass alternative.

the-pi-guy

Thought this would be a good time to bump.

1.) Early assessment of some predictions.
2.) And maybe predict if Sony will have a September show. Based on the past couple years, they should have one, like 3 weeks away.

Xbox show should be banging.
I wouldn't say it was banging.   :(

Legend

Thought this would be a good time to bump.

1.) Early assessment of some predictions.
2.) And maybe predict if Sony will have a September show. Based on the past couple years, they should have one, like 3 weeks away.
I wouldn't say it was banging.   :(
My whole post is so bad lol.

Are we counting the last Sony show as a real show? I could see something like that in September for 3rd parties. Otherwise nope. I feel like Sony is done with big shows for the time being.

kitler53

A september show won't be a "big" show.  It would be a showcase for the holiday 2022 titles.   So generally speaking only things that are announced but could have first looks.   A GoW gameplay trailer could be featured there.  Maybe something like little devil inside gets dated.  Ect.  

the-pi-guy

A september show won't be a "big" show.  It would be a showcase for the holiday 2022 titles.   So generally speaking only things that are announced but could have first looks.   A GoW gameplay trailer could be featured there.  Maybe something like little devil inside gets dated.  Ect.  
Their two previous September shows have been their big shows (relatively speaking) and they weren't focused on late titles.

September 2020 was where GoW Ragnarok was announced.

September 2021 was where Spiderman 2, Wolverine were announced.

the-pi-guy

Sony

How many Studios will Sony acquire this year? Bonus - which ones?
3: Bungie, Haven, Savage Game Studios
How many PS5's will Sony sell?
billions

Will Sony have a June show?
State of Play

When will Sony announce their PS+ revamp?
March 29th

What will be the prices of the 3 tiers?
$60/$90/$120

When will Sony have the PSVR2 show?
Technically never, technically June

When will Sony release PSVR2?
March 2023

What will be the launch games for PSVR2?
Horizon Call of the Mountain

What studios will announce a game?
Firesprite/Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog, San Diego, Nixxes/Insomniac

What studios will release a game?
Guerilla Games, Polyphony Digital, San Diego, Naughty Dog, Santa Monica

Will Sony announce a JRPG?
No

Will Sony announce anything related to Bloodborne? (Remake, Remaster, Sequel, DLC?)
No

Make a bold prediction.

Microsoft

How many Studios will Microsoft acquire this year? Bonus - which ones?
Activision

How many Series S|X will be sold?
Billions

What studios will announce a game?
Obsidian

What studios will release a game?
Obsidian

Make a bold prediction.

Nintendo

How many Studios will Nintendo acquire this year? Bonus - which one?
None

How many Nintendo Switch's be sold?
Bajillions

Will Nintendo release a successor this year?
No

Make a bold prediction.

All

What publisher and what studio will have the top rated game this year?

From Software, Bandai Namco

Go Up