Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

DerNebel

Dec 19, 2018, 04:13 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2018, 04:15 PM by DerNebel
That Switch consistency, holy crud. Anyway, looking good for a new record week next week if it held exactly flat from Smash launch. Smash itself had a good hold.

Nice little boost for PS4 on the back of those two new launches. Very good week overall!
Chris gave more accurate early numerical estimates this week than Benji ever has, just saying.
Chris has also said a lot more straight up wrong shame than Benji has, just saying.

Red Dead Redemption 2 becomes the first non-fifa game to pass 1m in Germany this gen.
That's not how BIU Awards work.

Cute Pikachu

Dec 19, 2018, 04:42 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2018, 04:44 PM by Cute Pikachu
DK Tropical Freeze over 100k too!
Glad to see that game find new life on Switch and not in the hellish landscape of the Wii U.

RDR2 is the first game to hit the million milestone besides FIFA games within its first year.

Super Mario Party over 200k in Germany is very good for it.

Super Mario Party probably will be at 5-6 million shipped after December. Has a chance at being the best selling Mario Party of all time if it has legs.
Pokémon didngood numbers for only two weeks. Wouldn't be shocked if combined it's past 500k after December

Now Japan:
Switch is consistent that is for sure.
PS4 up year over year is great to see. Judge Eyes did great. God Eater 3 did fine numbers at face value but it's low for the series, may need the West.
Pokémon you disappoint me even if your numbers are very strong in the West.
Smash Bros is rediculous and will likely be past 3 million(including digital after New Years)

Now to Nintendo's PR:
Smash Bros 3 million in 11 days for US only- incredible
Zelda at 4 Million means it outsold Skyward Sword's lifetime sales worldwide in the US alone haha. That and God of War are the biggest revivals of the generation.
Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart are huge.
Pokémon is actually keeping up with X and Y(which was at 2.6 million at the end of December). It should be able to tie it or go ahead.
Super Mario Party is actually even more so impressive- fastest selling Mario Party crazy enough, as said before it'll probably be around 5-6 million shipped after december).
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Kerotan

Dec 19, 2018, 04:57 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2018, 05:05 PM by Kerotan
I'm quite proud of this post. You just can't argue with facts no matter what's your console preference.

Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2018 (Dec 10 - Dec 16) | ResetEra

Ishaan said:    Honestly, it's one of the easier options left available to them. We know that both God Eater 2: Rage Burst and God Eater: Resurrection did about 200k on Steam, which is honestly pretty great. Factoring in PS4, we're probably looking at 300-400k in Western sales.

That brings us to God Eater 3, which also has the potential to do the same. And if it does end up doing around 500k worldwide between Japan, Asia, and the West, that looks a lot less terrible.

Granted, it isn't amazing considering the increased production budget, but the only remedy to that is the Switch.  Click to expand...  While i agree that Steam sales is going to help, it also reminds me of the case of Valkyria Chronicle where the sales is bloated to 500k on PC due to very deep price cut. If that is indeed the same case with the two GE there.

It will face the same fate as VC4 performance on the west as the bulk of the money will always come from PS4  
Also proud of this one. Resetera was badly in need of a poster who provides stone cold hard facts. Media Create Sales: Week 50, 2018 (Dec 10 - Dec 16) | ResetEra

Ishaan said:    Honestly, it's one of the easier options left available to them. We know that both God Eater 2: Rage Burst and God Eater: Resurrection did about 200k on Steam, which is honestly pretty great. Factoring in PS4, we're probably looking at 300-400k in Western sales.

That brings us to God Eater 3, which also has the potential to do the same. And if it does end up doing around 500k worldwide between Japan, Asia, and the West, that looks a lot less terrible.

Granted, it isn't amazing considering the increased production budget, but the only remedy to that is the Switch.  Click to expand...  While i agree that Steam sales is going to help, it also reminds me of the case of Valkyria Chronicle where the sales is bloated to 500k on PC due to very deep price cut. If that is indeed the same case with the two GE there.

It will face the same fate as VC4 performance on the west as the bulk of the money will always come from PS4  

Dr. Pezus

Red Dead Redemption 2 becomes the first non-fifa game to pass 1m in Germany this gen.
Gtav¿

Xevross

Dec 19, 2018, 05:39 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2018, 05:42 PM by Xevross
Yes?

It needed not a great November, but an extremely massive November and December to reach the numbers needed.

So far it's US numbers are behind all PS4 numbers in the USA for the past 4 years. Its YoY up in Japan, but not by massive amount. Its up in a good amount in the UK, but again behind PS4 numbers.

The reason I mention PS4 numbers because I'm using them as a reference point. PS4's biggest holiday season was at 9.7 million, and that number is no where near enough for switch to reach its 20 million forecast.

It needs 12~ million to reach that forecast, and that's a number that even the Wii didn't do.

So far it's trailer behind the PS4 in every major market with the exception of Japan, which will no doubt help move a lot of Switches, but It needs to do what, 7~ million world wide in the month of December alone? I'm just not seeing these numbers happening
It needed to be up around 50% YOY in Q3, and in November in the US it was up 75%. November has always been a much stronger month for Sony and Xbox over Nintendo, so its performance this year is fantastic. With December its going to match and probably even beat PS4's best ever holiday season in the west.

Using US as a guide, PS4's best ever final Q was 3.4M in 2015, and that was a quarter where it shipped 8.4M worldwide. In its 9.7M WW quarter it sold through 2.9M in the US. Switch is on 1.6M so far with Oct+Nov, and I expect it will reach a minimum of 3.4M with Dec NPD numbers, beating PS4's best.  That will probably be roughly echoed in Europe.

PS4's best final Q in Japan is around 400k, so Switch is looking to pull a million over PS4 there. So with all these considered, I think 10M+ looks fairly likely for WW shipments. Depending on Europe 11M may be possible, which would put it in a great position to reach the 20M.

DK Tropical Freeze over 100k too!
Glad to see that game find new life on Switch and not in the hellish landscape of the Wii U.

RDR2 is the first game to hit the million milestone besides FIFA games within its first year.

Super Mario Party over 200k in Germany is very good for it.

Super Mario Party probably will be at 5-6 million shipped after December. Has a chance at being the best selling Mario Party of all time if it has legs.
Pokémon didngood numbers for only two weeks. Wouldn't be shocked if combined it's past 500k after December

Now Japan:
Switch is consistent that is for sure.
PS4 up year over year is great to see. Judge Eyes did great. God Eater 3 did fine numbers at face value but it's low for the series, may need the West.
Pokémon you disappoint me even if your numbers are very strong in the West.
Smash Bros is rediculous and will likely be past 3 million(including digital after New Years)

Now to Nintendo's PR:
Smash Bros 3 million in 11 days for US only- incredible
Zelda at 4 Million means it outsold Skyward Sword's lifetime sales worldwide in the US alone haha. That and God of War are the biggest revivals of the generation.
Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart are huge.
Pokémon is actually keeping up with X and Y(which was at 2.6 million at the end of December). It should be able to tie it or go ahead.
Super Mario Party is actually even more so impressive- fastest selling Mario Party crazy enough, as said before it'll probably be around 5-6 million shipped after december).
Thanks for correcting me in a constructive way.

SMP is doing so much better than I expected, its pretty crazy to see. Its performance in Japan this week is particularly crazy. Pokemon is a bit disappointing in Japan but I think that was to be expected, hopefully legs are okay.

Kerotan

For switch to end up better then ps4 it's going to have to blow the early years of ps4 out of the water. It's not doing that.

Xevross

Cute Pikachu

Cute Pikachu

I guess the launch weekend comparisons.

1. SSB Ultimate: >5M
2. Pokémon Let's Go: >3M
3. Super Mario Odyssey: >2M
4. Breath of the Wild: >1M
5. Splatoon 2: >1M(Japan was 700k so 300k West would easily make it to a million)

BananaKing

I guess the launch weekend comparisons.

1. SSB Ultimate: >5M
2. Pokémon Let's Go: >3M
3. Super Mario Odyssey: >2M
4. Breath of the Wild: >1M
5. Splatoon 2: >1M(Japan was 700k so 300k West would easily make it to a million)

Interesting to see how much install base had affected launch numbers for earlier titles. It would have been interesting to see the numbers of year 1 games on a big install base.

Cute Pikachu

Dec 21, 2018, 05:24 AM Last Edit: Dec 21, 2018, 05:26 AM by Cute Pikachu
Interesting to see how much install base had affected launch numbers for earlier titles. It would have been interesting to see the numbers of year 1 games on a big install base.
Splatoon 2 would be the biggest opening in Japan if it came out in Smash Bros spot. It did 700k on a 1.2 million install base which is ridiculous.
Next games to do a million plus weekends:
Animal Crossing
Pokémon Gen 8
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Maybe Luigi's Mansion 3

Xevross

Pretty good then, and as expected the main Christmas shopping week is still bigger than BF week for Nintendo. December is gonna be massive.

Kerotan

Dec 22, 2018, 02:20 PM Last Edit: Dec 22, 2018, 02:43 PM by Kerotan
Why is the era media create thread filled with Nintendo fans who hate Sony?

Apparently the ps4 should be steamrolling the switch in Japan. And it's sales are pathetic. Do these people live in an anti ps4 bubble?

Kerotan

Apparently I'm the new pyschomantis.

DerNebel

Dec 22, 2018, 05:07 PM Last Edit: Dec 22, 2018, 07:05 PM by DerNebel
Because that's the kind of trash community that Chris has fostered over there. If you don't view Nintendo as the infallible god of gaming and the PS4 as a major failure in Japan as well as the one single reason for why the japanese market has been so bad for their third parties this generation, then you're a thorn in their side.

Cause clearly it couldn't be that japanese third parties keep cheaply shitting out the same dang games every couple months. That couldn't be the reason that gamers tire of these games. Who else but Sony could be to blame for gamers not wanting to buy the X'th iteration of the same mediocre 3D brawler or shoestring budget JRPG, that looks like a blown up Vita game, on their freaking PS4's?

So if you dare go against the grain you'll simply be collectively mocked or personally insulted until you don't feel like it's worth bothering their little circlejerk anymore. And if that doesn't work they'll just whine to their mods, to get you banned. I mean clearly Psycho-Mantis was a huge problem, with him interrupting their quality discussions like "Hey, isn't Capcom retarded for not releasing MH:W (exclusively) on Switch?" or "Look at the PS4 killing all those franchises, clearly the only solution here is to have those games come (exclusively) to the Switch (instead of maybe looking at the games themselves as the problem, or their terrible marketing)". Oh and I know, that they never explicitly state that they want those games exclusively on the Switch but it could hardly be more blatantly obvious, that that's the case.

Oh also they get pissed really easily once someone points out how their blatant fanboyism leads them to constantly overestimate Nintendo while they underestimate Sony. Remember how the PS4 was never even supposed to reach 5 million? Or how Dragon Quest XI on PS4 wasn't supposed to come close to the 3DS version? Or how MH:W's ceiling was supposed to be what DQXI sold on PS4? Or how the Switch was supposed to overtake the PS4 months ago?

Yeah, those threads are nothing but a weekly dumpster fire.

Go Up