Lets make some!
Release date:
Price:
VR compatible:
Launch games:
Others?

Legend

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I really need to release at least one game before PS4 is replaced.

But anyway, Oct 2020 release.

$400

New PSVR headset, compatible with current one. New PSVR move controllers. Upgraded tracking system, maybe wireless and more room scale.

Controller will be very similar to DS4. I don't really see any reason to change it. Maybe haptic feedback inside the buttons like the triggers on XBOX One. No screen on the controller. Touchpad will stay mostly for backwards compatibility, but I could see it being slightly redesigned.

Horizon 2 will be cross gen. Bloodborne spiritual sequel full exclusive. VR exclusives from London Studio and Media Molecule.

Xevross

What do I want?

Release: Late 2021
Price: $399 / £350
VR: Don't really care but I'll say yes because VR might be really good by this point
Launch games: Just give me some good games to play, PS4 launch was good enough so that quality or better
Controller: Similar to DS4, maybe rework the touch pad and make it fit in the hand nicer like an xbox controller
BC: YES

What do I expect?

Release: Nov. 2020
Price: $399
VR: Yes, new headset which is improved upon PSVR but around the same price. Maybe around this point sony will be pushing for more games to be VR as standard
Launch games: Not so good, the last couple of years on PS4 will be so good leaving PS5 launch quite dry
Controller: Basically a DS4 but small changes
BC: No :(

Legend

BC seems like a given if it releases anytime soon. System architecture hasn't changed that much so PS5 should just be a PS4 Pro with everything upgraded. Also keeping things similar helps with the transition to next gen. Plus MS has it and makes Sony look bad for not having it.

the-pi-guy

Yeah, BC seems likely.

Legend

I could see them cheaping out and making it PS4 BC not PS4 Pro BC though  ::)

Xevross

Oh sure it'd be perfectly possible for them but Sony is a business and BC is nowhere near as profitable for them as remakes/ remasters/ re-releases are. I just don't see it, again unless they come under a lot of pressure from MS who do have it.

Legend

Thinking back on this, fall 2019 can't happen.

That'd be only 2 years after xbox one x and if PS5 was $400, it'd be hardly any stronger. We need more time or else these pro systems will make next gen feel super weak.

darkknightkryta

They'll probably make the AMD equivalent of the Hades Canyon.  Just in a bigger box with more power.  I think they can make a GTX 1080 TI like card but based on Vega on one die (Like what Hades Canyon is).

the-pi-guy

How are people feeling about their predictions?

When will PS5 be announced?  

Xevross

How are people feeling about their predictions?

When will PS5 be announced?  
Well I said Nov 2020, $399, no BC.

Now I have no reason to change from Nov 2020, although it might be earlier in the year. I also think it might be $449 now, and there will be BC.

the-pi-guy

Well I said Nov 2020, $399, no BC.

Now I have no reason to change from Nov 2020, although it might be earlier in the year. I also think it might be $449 now, and there will be BC.
What about being anounced?

Xevross

What about being anounced?
About half a year before release, I guess. So probably around may next year if its releasing november. I feel like the winning strategy for Sony would be to emulate the Switch launch though. Announce January, release March.

There's no need to announce it 9 months before launch like with PS4.

BananaKing

Nov 2020. 399$. PS4 BC

Announced between Feb and April 2020.

1TB hard drive. 16GB DDR5 ram. 11/12 tflops GPU

Xevross

Nov 2020. 399$. PS4 BC

Announced between Feb and April 2020.

1TB hard drive. 16GB DDR5 ram. 11/12 tflops GPU
Basically. Except it'll be a 2TB HDD and people are saying ram might be DDR6, but I think DDR5 is still most likely.