(RUMOR) Nintendo NX will not be Android-based but it will emulate Android games.

Started by Legend, Jun 24, 2015, 08:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

(RUMOR) Nintendo NX will not be Android-based but it will emulate Android games. - NeoGAF

This little factoid got lost in the translation of this article, but I thought it deserved its own thread, since the NX = Android rumors have been going around.  Here's my translation of what the original article says.
  • When Nintendo announced their mobile games, Amazon was very interested in having the games also be on the Amazon App store.
  • Nintendo games will be on the Amazon store on day one, or shortly after Play Store and App Store.
  • Amazon is asking Nintendo what they need to do to have Amazon App Store games play on Nintendo consoles
  • Amazon got the impression that Nintendo is thinking about emulating Android games.
  • Nintendo will not create an Android system, but instead will emulate Android games. It's not something that's confirmed, but just an interpretation of the conversations. (Think how Blackberry is doing it)
The GoNintendo translation has most people thinking that the rumor is Amazon will exclusively have Nintendo games on their store, and even on the FireTV; when it's actually the opposite. Amazon wants to make sure they have Nintendo games in their store in addition to the Google and Apple stores.  Source: I'm a native Spanish speaker

Legend

I believe it. Android on non android systems is common nowadays, and it also allows all Nintendo mobile games to run on their own system. Don't think Ninty will allow third party Android games to run on it though.

kitler53

I believe it. Android on non android systems is common nowadays, and it also allows all Nintendo mobile games to run on their own system. Don't think Ninty will allow third party Android games to run on it though.
yeah, fudge third parties.  nintendo don't need none of that shame.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

yeah, fudge third parties.  nintendo don't need none of that shame.
they will actively try to keep the platform pure, for their fans

Legend

Jun 24, 2015, 10:10 PM Last Edit: Jun 25, 2015, 12:35 AM by Legend
they will actively try to keep the platform pure, for their fans
Fighting the good fight.

darkknightkryta

Good luck to Nintendo if any of this is true.

Legend

Good luck to Nintendo if any of this is true.
What's the problem with android?

darkknightkryta

What's the problem with android?
Nothing.  it's possibly Nintendo's understanding of Android.  I'm not gonna buy an NX to play Android games, that's what my phone is for.  Same reason why no one buys Blackberry products, even if it can play Android apps.  If this is true, Nintendo is misreading the market again.

Legend

Nothing.  it's possibly Nintendo's understanding of Android.  I'm not gonna buy an NX to play Android games, that's what my phone is for.  Same reason why no one buys Blackberry products, even if it can play Android apps.  If this is true, Nintendo is misreading the market again.
The rumor isn't that the NX is an android console like Ouya, but that it can play Android games in a similar fashion to its virtual console. Android would simply be a way to play Nintendo mobile games on the NX, while the NX still has native games as well. Plus then Nintendo's next DS could be Android based, and then all those games would work on NX as well.

darkknightkryta

The rumor isn't that the NX is an android console like Ouya, but that it can play Android games in a similar fashion to its virtual console. Android would simply be a way to play Nintendo mobile games on the NX, while the NX still has native games as well. Plus then Nintendo's next DS could be Android based, and then all those games would work on NX as well.
Yeah, I know exactly what it would be like.  Again, Nintendo is missing the point, supposing this is true.

Legend

Yeah, I know exactly what it would be like.  Again, Nintendo is missing the point, supposing this is true.
Then what is the point?

kitler53

Then what is the point?
well what do you think the point is?

who (that can afford a dedicated gaming hardware) doesn't have a smartphone?  i don't need another piece of hardware that can also play mobile games, i just don't give a shame.  a nintendo/vita phone would interest me,.. a phone with dedicated gaming integration.  1 piece of hardware to do both jobs.

a hardware that can also emulate android games is going to be as bad as a vita,.. it becomes a "companion" device immediately.  people don't care to own a vita when almost all of it's library is on ps3/4.   that's the whole problem with this "fusion" idea in my opinion.   currently nintendo can sell twice to it's fans but with fusion people will only buy once.  you'll see the "userbase" cut in half-ish and that will do terrible things for nintendo's revenue, profits, and third party support on both systems.

Legend

well what do you think the point is?

who (that can afford a dedicated gaming hardware) doesn't have a smartphone?  i don't need another piece of hardware that can also play mobile games, i just don't give a shame.  a nintendo/vita phone would interest me,.. a phone with dedicated gaming integration.  1 piece of hardware to do both jobs.

a hardware that can also emulate android games is going to be as bad as a vita,.. it becomes a "companion" device immediately.  people don't care to own a vita when almost all of it's library is on ps3/4.   that's the whole problem with this "fusion" idea in my opinion.   currently nintendo can sell twice to it's fans but with fusion people will only buy once.  you'll see the "userbase" cut in half-ish and that will do terrible things for nintendo's revenue, profits, and third party support on both systems.
I think the point is that Nintendo doesn't like moving their games to mobile, they hate it. By having Android run on NX, they can make sure that owners of their hardware still get to experience all Nintendo software.

The fusion concept would work better for Nintendo than it did for Sony. Vita's biggest problem was that its games were worse compared to the home systems. Playing on it was a compromise. Worse graphics, worse controls, worse connectivity, but hey you can take it with you!

Nintendo doesn't care about graphics, has slower paced games, and is 5 years behind with online. Their 3DS games feel great on 3DS and hardly does anyone ever argue they'd be inherently better on Wii U. A combined ecosystem does make it less likely for a consumer to buy both, but it doesn't turn their handheld into a companion device.

kitler53

I think the point is that Nintendo doesn't like moving their games to mobile, they hate it. By having Android run on NX, they can make sure that owners of their hardware still get to experience all Nintendo software.

The fusion concept would work better for Nintendo than it did for Sony. Vita's biggest problem was that its games were worse compared to the home systems. Playing on it was a compromise. Worse graphics, worse controls, worse connectivity, but hey you can take it with you!

Nintendo doesn't care about graphics, has slower paced games, and is 5 years behind with online. Their 3DS games feel great on 3DS and hardly does anyone ever argue they'd be inherently better on Wii U. A combined ecosystem does make it less likely for a consumer to buy both, but it doesn't turn their handheld into a companion device.
so what you're saying is a fusion console will work because all of their consoles games already have the shaming graphics, compromised gameplay, and featureless social OS features people of come to concede in the portable gaming space...

...this needs to be its own thread.

Legend

so what you're saying is a fusion console will work because all of their consoles games already have the shaming graphics, compromised gameplay, and featureless social OS features people of come to concede in the portable gaming space...

...this needs to be its own thread.
Yes hahaha, but I love Nintendo games regardless.  ;D