Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

I'm curious what PS4 shipments for this quarter will look like, since Sony still expect to sell 16 million consoles this year, if I recall correctly. Either sales are holding way better or are even growing in "second tier markets" or they have to be planning some sort of permanent price cut to get there later in the year, I imagine. Death Stranding, Final Fantasy VII Remake and if it hits its rumored February release, TLOU2 will be solid hardware movers but not enough to offset these drops by themselves, not in the consoles 7th year.
At this point with sales so low they must be planning a permanent price drop and/or super slim console at this point. No way they'll make it to 16m if it continues to be down this much YOY. Those games will help but at this point in its life PS4 ain't getting muhc of a boost from games like that, probably 100-200k from each maximum.

Personally I think if they're gonna hit it they need to drop to $199 or $249 with a free game as standard in a super slim.

Legend

Xevross

No NPD leaks this month it seems. Man, following game sales is so sad after paying attention to box office. Video games industry is just so weirdly secretive about everything.

Dr. Pezus

Spidey is best selling superhero game ever though in the US. Impressive considering it's exclusive to one platform

the-pi-guy

Spidey is best selling superhero game ever though in the US. Impressive considering it's exclusive to one platform
Probably worldwide, as well. 
Arkham Knight sold 5 million worldwide in 4 months.  Spiderman did 3.3 million in just 3 days in just the US. 

Xevross

Jul 19, 2019, 10:10 PM Last Edit: Jul 19, 2019, 10:16 PM by Xevross
Probably worldwide, as well. 
Arkham Knight sold 5 million worldwide in 4 months.  Spiderman did 3.3 million in just 3 days in just the US. 
Yeah I reckon worldwide record fell long before the US. Batman is huge in the US and pretty popular overseas, while Spidey is massive everywhere. We know Spidey surpassed 9mil worldwide by 25th November, so should be way over 10mil by now. Arkham City was the previous record holder anyway, that game did 4.6mil first week which is probably a bit bigger than Spidey. Spidey's legs and huge bundle sales is what will have tipped it WW. The US record is based on dollar sales so doesn't even count bundles, meaning unit-wise its smoked Arkham City by a long way, most likely.

That 3.3m figure is worldwide by the way, 3.3m in US in 3 days would be absolutely bananas, I don't think even COD sells that well.

the-pi-guy

Yeah I reckon worldwide record fell long before the US. Batman is huge in the US and pretty popular overseas, while Spidey is massive everywhere. We know Spidey surpassed 9mil worldwide by 25th November, so should be way over 10mil by now.

That 3.3m figure is worldwide by the way, 3.3m in US in 3 days would be absolutely bananas, I don't think even COD sells that well.
Dang wiki lied to me.  

Xevross

Dang wiki lied to me.  
Yeah I saw the wiki thing when I was trying to find the november update. I edited it so we'll see if it gets put back to being wrong ;D

Dr. Pezus

Yeah I reckon worldwide record fell long before the US. Batman is huge in the US and pretty popular overseas, while Spidey is massive everywhere. We know Spidey surpassed 9mil worldwide by 25th November, so should be way over 10mil by now. Arkham City was the previous record holder anyway, that game did 4.6mil first week which is probably a bit bigger than Spidey. Spidey's legs and huge bundle sales is what will have tipped it WW. The US record is based on dollar sales so doesn't even count bundles, meaning unit-wise its smoked Arkham City by a long way, most likely.

CoD did sell that well in its peak

the-pi-guy

Jeez that's the second blatant error I've seen on Wiki today.  

They claimed that BOII sold 7.5 million launch day, and it links to an article about the whole month of November.

Xevross

Jeez that's the second blatant error I've seen on Wiki today.  

They claimed that BOII sold 7.5 million launch day, and it links to an article about the whole month of November.
Lol and my correction got changed back to being wrong on the Spidey page. Don't believe everything you read on wikipedia!

CoD did sell that well in its peak
Yes it probably did. IIRC Black Ops III which is about the peak of COD in this gen sold ~4million in its launch month in the US

Dr. Pezus

Lol and my correction got changed back to being wrong on the Spidey page. Don't believe everything you read on wikipedia!
Yes it probably did. IIRC Black Ops III which is about the peak of COD in this gen sold ~4million in its launch month in the US
CoD was even bigger last gen tbh. At least the last few

the-pi-guy

CoD was even bigger last gen tbh. At least the last few
Yeah CoD isn't quite the powerhouse it used to be.

BananaKing

Yeah CoD isn't quite the powerhouse it used to be.

The spat between infinity ward and Activision really hurt them in the long run IMO. The quality dropped from the main CoD developer considerably.  The black ops games really benefited from the explosion of MW games before them.

And as well as fatigue,  games a service being more popular, resulting in people spending more time with less titles overall, and more competition from games like overwatch, PUBG, fortnite hurt its overall sales  

the-pi-guy

Go Up