I'm actually excited for 3D audio next gen

Started by the-pi-guy, May 10, 2020, 12:17 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I have never been an audiophile and never really cared about audio.  Hearing is good enough for me.  

But a few months ago I got myself a decent pair of headphones.  And it's really making me excited about 3D audio.  It's not always compelling.  But there are moments when I have to take off my headphones and double check that the sound came from the video.  

Next gen audio should be a huge leap over what we have right now.  We basically have a dedicated chip that has the same computing power as the entire PS4 CPU.  And even there, audio tends to be something that gets ignored.  

Next gen ought to be one of the biggest audio jumps.  

BananaKing

Yeah its gonna be great. Some games had fantastic audio design like battlefield 1. I imagine being in a huge multiplayer map with 3d audio and a war raging on would epic

kitler53

same. 

i'm of the opinion that sound design does more to make a game good than graphics.  it is easy to not appreciate when it is perfect but impossible to ignore whe it is bad. any improvements to audio possibilities is welcomed by me. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Yeah it should help make places feel alive if used well.

Background sound can be really bad if you stop and listen to it, even in movies. I want a crowded downtown cafe to actually have 30 voices all talking over eachother instead of a flat background track. I want a hot dog stand to sizzle. I want dog collars to clink as they walk by.

As a dev it can actually save time too, at least for people like me that aren't good at this haha. I can treat it more like a simulation vs art.