Will Ghost of Tsushima suck?

Started by kitler53, May 08, 2020, 06:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

My evidence:

The game releases in ~2 months (July 17th).

So far this is all we know about it:

2017 Announcement Trailer

2018 Gameplay Trailer

2019  New Gameplay Trailer

That's almost no effort market this game.  ..it's like sony knows this game is going to suck and doesn't want to waste the effor.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I think the marketing has been great, dare I say amazing. This game is talked about so much and people are excited about it, despite Sucker Punch not being a known super star studio. It's very similar to Horizon pre release.

That said... I do kinda worry the unseen elements will be negative instead of positive. Infamous had good combat, the trailers have good combat, but will Tsushima have good peaceful moments? Modern games have so many slow parts without enemies so will this one handle them well?

BananaKing

To be honest I never had faith in the game since its E3 gameplay reveal. Which i found underwhelming. I've been waiting for a proper gameplay video since to hopefully change my mind but nothing.

Horizon

Absolutely not. This will be Sucker Punch's Horizon moment.

Xevross

This is a joke thread right? You've clearly missed a lot of the marketing, and a lot of the mainstream ads can't ramp up until TLOU2 is out. It could suck, but everything we've seen suggests the opposite.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

I think the bigger issue is that the game is largely being buried by TLoU 2.

Ghost of Tsushima's promotional campaign was very very strange. | ResetEra

This game probably got started sometime in 2014. In late 2017, the game was announced with teaser-ish trailer. The game was announced shortly after Sony said they didn't want to announce games too early anymore so that was kind of funny. At e3 2018, the game was introduced at Sony's very controversial e3 2018. It still didn't have much of a HUD, but it showed the gameplay approach they were going for, just without much or any details to give context to what we saw. Despite the lack of gameplay information, it did look very pretty. Sony as a whole skipped e3 2019 and showed the game at the end of the year at the TGAs. The TGA trailer was mostly a cinematic trailer to give more story information, but there was only 15 seconds of gameplay footage with all of it being traversal.

The game is finally coming out in two months but is still being buried promotion wise by the bigger Last of Us 2. Obviously COVID-19 has impacted any preview events Sony would have liked to have done, but it's hard exactly to pinpoint when they could have a preview event for Ghost before the release of The Last of Us 2 regardless as they're focusing on TLOU2. The game has looked fine from the very limited footage we have seen, but this has just been a little bit of a weird promotional campaign.  
[/size]

DerNebel

That thread is about as moronic a take as one can expect out of Resetera. Ghost of Tsushima's promotional campaign is entirely in line with other SIE titles. At best it suffered from Covid preventing any sort of hands on preview event for the press. Other than that the game is still going to receive it's final marketing push over the next 2 motnhs.

kitler53

to an extent this is my point.  

i don't really thing GoT will suck.  I'm excited for it.  but if truth be told i'm not excited about it because of any amazing trailers or details about this game i've read from any amount of marketing.  the only real reason i'm excited is that i loved infamous and i have faith sucker punch can make another good game.  the "feudal japan" setting is also helping as that is refreshingly not a zombie game.   ..but that's about it.  realistically i know very little about this game and i don't think that is my fault.  i eat up all gaming related news and so far i've seen 3 trailers and most of them involve landscape traversal.

Horizon

We are most likely going to see gameplay in the next week or so.

Xevross

We are most likely going to see gameplay in the next week or so.
Ghost of Tsushima State of Play on May 14th | ResetEra

The episode will be focused entirely on Ghost of Tsushima, coming to PS4 July 17. You'll get an extended look at new gameplay footage, including exploration, combat and more. The current cut is clocking in around 18 minutes, give or take.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
Don't expect PS5 info:
And just to be clear -- there won't be any PS5 news or updates in this episode, just a big, beautiful look at Sucker Punch's PS4 open-world epic.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
LET'S fudgy GOOOOOO  
You were right!

the-pi-guy

Is 18 minutes long enough for it to not suck?  

kitler53

Is 18 minutes long enough for it to not suck?  
depends.  it is 18 minutes of terrain traversal?

I want to see them actually detail the combat system.  they've show the combat only kind of because they showed it with the HUD turned off.  that gave it a nice cinematic look but does little to show how the gameplay actually works.   for horizon they really dug deep into showing the combat and crafting system.

darkknightkryta

I'm in the same boat.  The game looks average, I don't see any kind of hook other than it being in Japan.  So was Onimusha (Not saying Onimusha will be better).  I'm sure it will turn out good.  Second Son was great.  But this looks very bland.  Hopefully that state of play will change my mind.