Astro's Playroom: MC: 83, OC: 84

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 06, 2020, 11:22 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

I got the platinum.  

Spoiler for Review:
<br>I think at first I was a little unsure about this. I didn&#39;t start off super excited to play more Astro and it might have come down to an uncertainty about how the game would compare to the original. &nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>This is still such an experience. It retains the platforming of the original. How Astro controls is unchanged, which is a good thing. &nbsp;<br><br>This game has a two main focuses:<br><br>1.) Be a tribute to PlayStation&#39;s history &nbsp; <br><br>It&#39;s so stunning how it manages to feel so Nintendo and yet so Sony. &nbsp;It manages to evoke the same kinds of nostalgia and great gameplay that you would <span class="bbc_bold">only</span> get out a 3D Mario and yet in no way is it a rip off. &nbsp;<br>It has its own identity, that is part of the PS history. &nbsp;A lot of the world is marked in PlayStation. &nbsp;From the coins to Astrobot himself. This is especially the case in this game, where the world is packed with all kinds of references of famous PS games. From Silent Hill, Jak and Daxter, Bloodborne, Heavy Rain, God of War and many others. <br><br>It&#39;s also absolutely remarkable to be able to collect PS memorabilia. &nbsp;And not just that, but able to view high quality models of them. You can interact with some of the consoles and be able to see the disc inside them come out. <br><br><br>2.) Show off what the controller can do.<br><br>I think largely this is incredible. <br><br>The haptics are incredible and ever present. Being able to feel different parts of the controller make small vibrations, to simulate small drops of rain hitting your hand. &nbsp;Being able to feel the wind, and the sand that you are trudging through. <br><br>It even makes use of the triggers are times. &nbsp;The starting menu even starts off with a demo of the controller. And you can go to different parts of the showing and you can see how different the triggers can feel. &nbsp;<br><br>Some of the potential downsides are the motion and touch pad controls. There are a couple of levels where you control a climbing monkey. And you have to use the triggers and motion controls to be able to climb. &nbsp;<br><br>The other is one where you are a rolling ball using the touchpad. And it&#39;s surprisingly not bad. It&#39;s fun. <br><br>I think these sections are fun. Even if you don&#39;t find them fun, they are still rather short. <br><br>There is a notable deficit. The game is short. The brilliant sections, are fleeting. This was still an issue I had with Rescue Mission. &nbsp;There were so many levels that I would have loved to see entire worlds made up of. &nbsp;I think it helps make everything more novel but it also makes me want more and more Astrobot. <br><br>But it&#39;s so great that this is a pack in for the PS5. Really happy to see Sony give Astrobot a bigger push, and I wait patiently for the next Astrobot adventure. &nbsp;<br>

Legend

Maybe I'll try it again.

I played ssd land and it just didn't click.

the-pi-guy

Maybe I'll try it again.

I played ssd land and it just didn't click.
And if it doesn't clock, it didn't click.

But I do hope you play a bit more. It has some great stuff.

I'd say try a little bit of each world. Different themes, some have different mechanics.

Xevross

I got the platinum.  

Spoiler for Review:
<br>I think at first I was a little unsure about this. I didn&#39;t start off super excited to play more Astro and it might have come down to an uncertainty about how the game would compare to the original. &nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>This is still such an experience. It retains the platforming of the original. How Astro controls is unchanged, which is a good thing. &nbsp;<br><br>This game has a two main focuses:<br><br>1.) Be a tribute to PlayStation&#39;s history &nbsp; <br><br>It&#39;s so stunning how it manages to feel so Nintendo and yet so Sony. &nbsp;It manages to evoke the same kinds of nostalgia and great gameplay that you would <span class="bbc_bold">only</span> get out a 3D Mario and yet in no way is it a rip off. &nbsp;<br>It has its own identity, that is part of the PS history. &nbsp;A lot of the world is marked in PlayStation. &nbsp;From the coins to Astrobot himself. This is especially the case in this game, where the world is packed with all kinds of references of famous PS games. From Silent Hill, Jak and Daxter, Bloodborne, Heavy Rain, God of War and many others. <br><br>It&#39;s also absolutely remarkable to be able to collect PS memorabilia. &nbsp;And not just that, but able to view high quality models of them. You can interact with some of the consoles and be able to see the disc inside them come out. <br><br><br>2.) Show off what the controller can do.<br><br>I think largely this is incredible. <br><br>The haptics are incredible and ever present. Being able to feel different parts of the controller make small vibrations, to simulate small drops of rain hitting your hand. &nbsp;Being able to feel the wind, and the sand that you are trudging through. <br><br>It even makes use of the triggers are times. &nbsp;The starting menu even starts off with a demo of the controller. And you can go to different parts of the showing and you can see how different the triggers can feel. &nbsp;<br><br>Some of the potential downsides are the motion and touch pad controls. There are a couple of levels where you control a climbing monkey. And you have to use the triggers and motion controls to be able to climb. &nbsp;<br><br>The other is one where you are a rolling ball using the touchpad. And it&#39;s surprisingly not bad. It&#39;s fun. <br><br>I think these sections are fun. Even if you don&#39;t find them fun, they are still rather short. <br><br>There is a notable deficit. The game is short. The brilliant sections, are fleeting. This was still an issue I had with Rescue Mission. &nbsp;There were so many levels that I would have loved to see entire worlds made up of. &nbsp;I think it helps make everything more novel but it also makes me want more and more Astrobot. <br><br>But it&#39;s so great that this is a pack in for the PS5. Really happy to see Sony give Astrobot a bigger push, and I wait patiently for the next Astrobot adventure. &nbsp;<br>

Awesome stuff, I'll read your review when I've finished playing it hopefully in less than a week!

Legend

Ok astrobot is great.

Xevross

Ok astrobot is great.
Well well well, how the turn tables.

the-pi-guy

Ok astrobot is great.
Don't say too much!  You will spoil everyone.

Tell us how you really feel!  

Legend

My first ps5 plat!

Also my first non Uncharted plat for a new system.

First and only ps3 plat: Uncharted 3.
First and only vita plat: Uncharted GA.
First ps4 plat: Uncharted 4.

First ps5 plat: Astro's Playroom.

Fave reference was Death Stranding.

the-pi-guy

My first ps5 plat!

Also my first non Uncharted plat for a new system.

First and only ps3 plat: Uncharted 3.
First and only vita plat: Uncharted GA.
First ps4 plat: Uncharted 4.

First ps5 plat: Astro's Playroom.

Fave reference was Death Stranding.
But did you enjoy it?

Go Up