Thread for interesting news you just learned, regardless of how old the news is.

Started by Legend, Mar 30, 2021, 11:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

In 2017 the first ever interstellar object was discovered flying through our solar system. It was all over the news and was an incredible discovery. ʻOumuamua - Wikipedia

Well I just discovered that a second one was discovered in 2019. 2I/Borisov - Wikipedia

the-pi-guy

In 2017 the first ever interstellar object was discovered flying through our solar system. It was all over the news and was an incredible discovery. ʻOumuamua - Wikipedia

A second one was discovered in 2019. 2I/Borisov - Wikipedia

Legend discovered there was a second in 2019, in 2021.  Legend

Can't wait to see what they have in 2023!!!
Sorry couldn't resist.

Legend

Another thing I discovered yesterday that I somehow just learned, there is an "anti Pluto."

It is almost as large as Pluto, has a large moon like Pluto, and is a similar distance from Earth as Pluto, but has the "opposite" orbit.

File:TheKuiperBelt Orbits Orcus2.svg

90482 Orcus - Wikipedia

Discovered in 2004. Caused me to feel like a space newb.

BananaKing

Well I just discovered that a second one was discovered in 2019. 2I/Borisov - Wikipedia
Isn't the moon pheobe the first interstellar object known to us humans?

Legend

Isn't the moon pheobe the first interstellar object known to us humans?
Nah phoebe is just from the far reaches of our solar system, says wikipedia.

Legend

TLOU2 Dina was modeled after Cascina Caradonna which I knew, but today I learned that she was voiced by Shannon Woodward from Raising Hope and Westworld.

I'm shocked I didn't recognize her voice.