The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Viewing single post

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

the-pi-guy

I think a lot about the future of VR, obviously...

Right now there are 4 big companies that are leading the industry.  They're not the only ones making good VR headsets, but they're the ones selling them en masse.  (Sony, Facebook, HTC, Valve).  They're all very different.  

For HTC, VR is pretty much their big thing right now.  They don't have a lot to fall back on.  

For Facebook, they're probably investing the most in VR.  They obviously have a lot to fall back on, and tons of money to burn.  

Valve, is a small company, but they have Steam to fall back on.  They're in a weird place where they have enough that they can make good advances, but they're also probably smaller than any of the others.  

Sony is a big company like Facebook (they might not have as much money).  They're probably investing into VR at like a fifth of the rate FB is.  (Totally made up guestimate).  But they're interesting because they're working on all kinds of other technologies for other stuff that could actually be used on VR.  An example for this is there was a showing where Sucker Punch showed Infamous Second Son with eye tracking.  Sony has huge channels for hardware and software development.  

I'm sure none of them will really fall behind the others too substantially, but I usually think of Facebook having an edge.  But I think really the only company that I don't have much confidence in is HTC.