Religion

Started by Raven, Aug 14, 2014, 02:00 AM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

TIL that Pezus is an Atheist. 

I would ask whether or not Pezus outright rejects the idea of the existence of any gods before declaring him atheist. I'm personally agnostic when it comes to the general idea but become atheist towards specific declarations.

Gooch_Suplex_Hold

I would ask whether or not Pezus outright rejects the idea of the existence of any gods before declaring him atheist. I'm personally agnostic when it comes to the general idea but become atheist towards specific declarations.

So you're an agnostic atheist?

the-pi-guy

Gooch, are you YEC?

Gooch_Suplex_Hold

the-pi-guy

Gooch_Suplex_Hold

Raven

So you're an agnostic atheist?

I'll put it this way. I do not feel that we have nor will we ever have the knowledge that tells us for certain that a god does not exist. We cannot know for a complete certainty that something doesn't exist. Dragons may exist on another planet. Fairies may exist in an alternate dimension we haven't discovered yet. So we can never say they certainly don't exist. We can only say we know WHERE they don't exist. Dragons clearly do not live in Los Angeles, as an example. So I leave open the possibility that a god or gods exist but that we don't actually have knowledge of their existence and therefor should not be insisting that they do. Only speculate that they could. That is my agnosticism. Where I am atheist is when someone begins telling me that a particular god they believe in exists and begins describing to me the qualities of this being. As this being is specified and given ideological shape I very quickly reach a point where one has gone too far for me to simply accept that it may exist as I begin looking at all the reasons why such a being would certainly not based on both scientific and philosophical grounds. I am agnostic to the possible existence of gods or godlike beings. I am atheist to every human claim of a god that has been made so far.

the-pi-guy

Dragons clearly do not live in Los Angeles, as an example.

That's what you think. 

Xevross

BananaKing

Dr. Pezus

TIL that Pezus is an Atheist. 

SURPRISED?! Well I am not entirely against the idea of gods but I simply do not believe in anything. So agnostic would fit me better maybe.

Dr. Pezus

I'll put it this way. I do not feel that we have nor will we ever have the knowledge that tells us for certain that a god does not exist. We cannot know for a complete certainty that something doesn't exist. Dragons may exist on another planet. Fairies may exist in an alternate dimension we haven't discovered yet. So we can never say they certainly don't exist. We can only say we know WHERE they don't exist. Dragons clearly do not live in Los Angeles, as an example. So I leave open the possibility that a god or gods exist but that we don't actually have knowledge of their existence and therefor should not be insisting that they do. Only speculate that they could. That is my agnosticism. Where I am atheist is when someone begins telling me that a particular god they believe in exists and begins describing to me the qualities of this being. As this being is specified and given ideological shape I very quickly reach a point where one has gone too far for me to simply accept that it may exist as I begin looking at all the reasons why such a being would certainly not based on both scientific and philosophical grounds. I am agnostic to the possible existence of gods or godlike beings. I am atheist to every human claim of a god that has been made so far.

Both dragons and fairies live in Iceland

Raven

Both dragons and fairies live in Iceland

We're not talking about dragons and fairies.

Gooch_Suplex_Hold

We're not talking about dragons and fairies.

from Ohio?

Raven

from Ohio?

You're from the Carolinas. That's only marginally better than being from the Dakotas. You effectively live in one of the two states collectively referred to as America's second bumb.

Go Up