PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Xevross

Any fps impressions with the dualsense? People seem impressed with cod
I'm on the fence about getting COD for PS5, I think if there's a decent BF deal for it I will.

Not an FPS but Borderlands 3 supposedly has great dualsense implementation for a shooter, I might download it and give it a go.

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

Xevross

Nov 22, 2020, 03:50 PM Last Edit: Nov 22, 2020, 04:13 PM by Xevross
I got the glitch that some people got with the new Demon's Souls update where it just doesn't want to install no matter what you do, only solution is to download the entire game again. Then at the same time my PS5 seemingly somehow forgot Dirt 5 was installed and tried to copy it from disc again, I cancelled the copy and then Dirt 5 was deleted from my SSD.

So since I now have to re-install the two games I was playing I decided to factory reset my PS5 anyway to hopefully clear any issues that might have been causing these problems. And now PS5 is doing the exact same thing my PS4 does - downloading extremely slowly while turned on but at full speed in rest mode. So I guess I'm just leaving my PS5 in rest mode today while it downloads stuff again. Fun.

Edit: now I think about it, as soon as I took dirt 5 out and put borderlands 3 in dirt 5 disappeared off my ps5 home, I just assumed it only showed the disc you have in and can currently play but now I realise it just immediately deleted Dirt 5 off my system for some reason, no idea what caused it. I just did the same thing again to test but with GoT instead of Borderlands and Dirt 5 stuck around this time.

the-pi-guy

Some PS5's apparently have an issue with cooling.  There have been a few teardowns, some are showing thermal padding on the RAM, and some aren't.

Not sure why.  Maybe some issue at a factory, that not all were applied or maybe some corners are being cut at some. Or maybe it was added in, later batches.

I'm not sure how big of an impact the thermal pads have. The most thorough analysis I've seen was without thermal pads, and the RAM was tending towards the upper limit of operable temperatures. The impression I get is, it's not the end of the world without it but it's not good either.

On the bright side, that pretty much seems to be the only thing that is an issue with the hardware.

There seem to be quite a few issues on the OS side though.

Some missing features with 8K, VRR, 1440p, RGB 4K 120.  External storage is limited.  Either there is a technical challenge with PS5 on the external drive or they just didn't intend for cold storage to be an option.  Suggested by the fact that they did set up to check if a game could be moved or deleted.  On the bright side here, many of these features seem likely or have already been promised to come.

There also seem to be a score of smaller issues.  Like downloads acting up, the patches not working the way intended.  A game being mysteriously deleted off the drive.

On the brightside, all of these issues seem to be patchable. I'm assuming we will see a fair number of stability patches over the next few months. And then we will see HDMI 2.1 support added in, probably early next year. Maybe that's optimistic, maybe not.  

kitler53

but what does "some" mean.  there will always be lemons.   near as i can tell neither system has anything that has called a wide spread problem.   the problem with the internet is that if MSony sells 10 million units this holiday you'll see all 50 failed units on the internet and it will start to look like a huge problem when in reality the failure rate is 0.0005 % which is a fantastic level of reliability.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

but what does "some" mean.  there will always be lemons.   near as i can tell neither system has anything that has called a wide spread problem.   the problem with the internet is that if MSony sells 10 million units this holiday you'll see all 50 failed units on the internet and it will start to look like a huge problem when in reality the failure rate is 0.0005 % which is a fantastic level of reliability.  
Aye, exactly. That's pretty much I was implying.
On the whole doesn't seem to be any major issue.

Dr. Pezus

I'm just glad I didn't pre-order with all those burning ps5s

Xevross

Nov 23, 2020, 09:53 PM Last Edit: Nov 23, 2020, 09:55 PM by Xevross
I think PS5 is actually seeing a very, very low hardware failure rate. There's just lots of problems with the firmware right now. The two problems I reported yesterday (Demon's patch not installing and disc game disappearing) are common problems that Sony seem to be fixing.

PS5 will be super clean in a few months, and it will already have plenty of killer games by then too. Its gonna be a hot hot product next year.

No sales numbers?
And yeah no sales numbers is super odd. No idea what Sony are waiting for. If PS5 was tracking lower than PS4 so far then I can kinda see it, but we have every reason to think the opposite is true.

Dr. Pezus

I think PS5 is actually seeing a very, very low hardware failure rate. There's just lots of problems with the firmware right now. The two problems I reported yesterday (Demon's patch not installing and disc game disappearing) are common problems that Sony seem to be fixing.

PS5 will be super clean in a few months, and it will already have plenty of killer games by then too. Its gonna be a hot hot product next year.
And yeah no sales numbers is super odd. No idea what Sony are waiting for. If PS5 was tracking lower than PS4 so far then I can kinda see it, but we have every reason to think the opposite is true.
Yeah Jim Ryan even said all of them were sold out. Maybe they don't want to show lower than expected production numbers?

DerNebel

Yeah Jim Ryan even said all of them were sold out. Maybe they don't want to show lower than expected production numbers?
Maybe they're reading the room and feel it'd be awkward to brag about their sales numbers, when so much of the internet is still enraged because they can't get one.... but more likely they are just being new Playstation, who is super inconsistent with this stuff.

Maybe they'll give an update around when they'll give us a clearer picture on the next few months of game releases on PS5. Which I'm guessing will happen in early to mid December?

kitler53

they will brag when they are good and ready to brag.  

I feel like last gen they gave too many updated.  led to much "concern" when sony failed to announce each and every million units sold. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

So my dualsense controllers wouldn't turn on my ps5 today from rest mode.  Had to hold the button on the console till it turned off then they started working.  Freaked me the fudge out. lol

Legend

So my dualsense controllers wouldn't turn on my ps5 today from rest mode.  Had to hold the button on the console till it turned off then they started working.  Freaked me the fudge out. lol
I had that on ps4 a few times. Very scary!

Go Up