PS5 |OT| now with PlayStation Portal

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 29, 2020, 11:33 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

the-pi-guy

Some PS5's apparently have an issue with cooling.  There have been a few teardowns, some are showing thermal padding on the RAM, and some aren't.

Not sure why.  Maybe some issue at a factory, that not all were applied or maybe some corners are being cut at some. Or maybe it was added in, later batches.

I'm not sure how big of an impact the thermal pads have. The most thorough analysis I've seen was without thermal pads, and the RAM was tending towards the upper limit of operable temperatures. The impression I get is, it's not the end of the world without it but it's not good either.

On the bright side, that pretty much seems to be the only thing that is an issue with the hardware.

There seem to be quite a few issues on the OS side though.

Some missing features with 8K, VRR, 1440p, RGB 4K 120.  External storage is limited.  Either there is a technical challenge with PS5 on the external drive or they just didn't intend for cold storage to be an option.  Suggested by the fact that they did set up to check if a game could be moved or deleted.  On the bright side here, many of these features seem likely or have already been promised to come.

There also seem to be a score of smaller issues.  Like downloads acting up, the patches not working the way intended.  A game being mysteriously deleted off the drive.

On the brightside, all of these issues seem to be patchable. I'm assuming we will see a fair number of stability patches over the next few months. And then we will see HDMI 2.1 support added in, probably early next year. Maybe that's optimistic, maybe not.