What do you hope Sony does moving forward?

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 08, 2021, 04:09 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

I think the thread is pretty straightforward, what do you hope Sony does better with?

I'll write up a response myself in a bit, but just to have people start thinking.  

BananaKing

Multiplayer games. Their Ps3 multiplayer games were great, but they didn't have much success.

Uncharted 2/3 were awesome. Killzone 2 is still the best fps experience I ever had. Killzone 3 was okay. Starhawk was uniquely great, and would have been absolutely amazing if it had the player numbers.

The rest of their output is fine, and hopefully they continue to grow their first party.

I dont really care about BC other than for PS4 games, and to play the pro versions of games. Sure, added framerates or res would be nice, but its not in anyways really important to me.

Xevross

Improve PS5 OS and features. Reverse the price raise or make regional pricing more reasonable. Vastly improve PS Now or make a new service - "playstation pass". Stop shutting down studios and driving out talent in places like Japan and the UK. Be a lot more open with communication and listen to consumers more.

BananaKing

Also, I hope we have more miles morales/uncharted lost legacy games. Where they come in cheaper and quicker. You get almost a full game, in a quick time frame, that can explore some new ideas. Yes, they won't push the hardware further or implement new tech usually, but they are awesome to play and are worth it. They are basically story DLCs with a lot of effort put in them.

Legend

I hope they invest in PS5 instead of extracting from it. Most of their recent actions feel like the later.

So reverse the price hike for games, expand studios instead of shrinking them, stop porting to other platforms, etc.

I also think the lack of big launch games is hurting them. Yeah Miles was good and Demon's Souls is a port of a great game, but PS5 and Xbox are in a drought. This fall if Halo flops while Horizon dominates, the conversation could easily spin back to Microsoft's mismanagement of their studios.

the-pi-guy

Games:

Diversify more: genre wise and region wise.

More smaller games:  Naughty Dog only released 3 new games on the PS4, compared to 4 on the PS3.  Imagine if Lost Legacy didn't happen.  They've gone from releasing games every 2 years to more like 3.  And it sucks.  

I don't mind that Sony is putting games on PC, but it really sucks when it looks like they're supporting PC more than they're supporting their own hardware.  

Communication:

One of their big failings this gen I think is their communication.  I don't think Sony is doing all that terribly, but they have been awful on communication.  

It's absurd to me that it took them ~6 months to confirm that by ray tracing, they really meant hardware accelerated ray tracing.  BC wasn't much better.  They put out a statement a couple days later, but they didn't respond to it past that.  

I feel like their current model is to let the games do the talking, but that doesn't work when we are waiting months for games.

They don't have a lovable public face anymore.  

System itself:

I think expanding backwards compatibility would be a great move.  
Combine it with PS Now, have it so you could download any of the games to your PS5.  

BananaKing

I agree with Pi on communication. At times it was absurd. But it wasnt all bad.

Xevross

Apr 08, 2021, 06:12 PM Last Edit: Apr 08, 2021, 06:20 PM by Xevross
Also, I hope we have more miles morales/uncharted lost legacy games. Where they come in cheaper and quicker. You get almost a full game, in a quick time frame, that can explore some new ideas. Yes, they won't push the hardware further or implement new tech usually, but they are awesome to play and are worth it. They are basically story DLCs with a lot of effort put in them.
Absolutely, I love both of those games you mentioned.

I hope they invest in PS5 instead of extracting from it. Most of their recent actions feel like the later.

So reverse the price hike for games, expand studios instead of shrinking them, stop porting to other platforms, etc.

I also think the lack of big launch games is hurting them. Yeah Miles was good and Demon's Souls is a port of a great game, but PS5 and Xbox are in a drought. This fall if Halo flops while Horizon dominates, the conversation could easily spin back to Microsoft's mismanagement of their studios.
Agree with all this as well, I forgot to mention stop porting to other platforms. As a person with PS5 already of course I don't want this, it devalues my purchase.
Games:

Diversify more: genre wise and region wise.

More smaller games:  Naughty Dog only released 3 new games on the PS4, compared to 4 on the PS3.  Imagine if Lost Legacy didn't happen.  They've gone from releasing games every 2 years to more like 3.  And it sucks.  

I don't mind that Sony is putting games on PC, but it really sucks when it looks like they're supporting PC more than they're supporting their own hardware.  

Communication:

One of their big failings this gen I think is their communication.  I don't think Sony is doing all that terribly, but they have been awful on communication.  

It's absurd to me that it took them ~6 months to confirm that by ray tracing, they really meant hardware accelerated ray tracing.  BC wasn't much better.  They put out a statement a couple days later, but they didn't respond to it past that.  

I feel like their current model is to let the games do the talking, but that doesn't work when we are waiting months for games.

They don't have a lovable public face anymore.  

System itself:

I think expanding backwards compatibility would be a great move.  
Combine it with PS Now, have it so you could download any of the games to your PS5.  
Yep you gave some good examples as to why their communication is so poor. The whole of 2020 was just dire, they kept hidden features that they should have been proudly advertising, made fumbles with game announcements and cross-gen stuff and are still being overly secretive and hiding so much stuff.

BananaKing

Sometimes they baffle me. Like the Vr thing, they just announced it, when it was too soon. BC they stayed very silent about it, despite having an incredible BC solution for the PS4. And when there was confusion, they just stayed silent for a long time. It was weird.

Legend

Sometimes they baffle me. Like the Vr thing, they just announced it, when it was too soon. BC they stayed very silent about it, despite having an incredible BC solution for the PS4. And when there was confusion, they just stayed silent for a long time. It was weird.
As a developer, it's pretty funky. The lead up to PS5 was so secretive that imo it was actively harming development efforts. Yet in the end the info is released in such a boring way.

The reveal of the PS5 outsides was the only thing I can think of that was treated as an event.