MS in talks with Kojima

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 08, 2021, 02:36 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Abandoned for PS5 is not a secret Hideo Kojima game | VentureBeat

But the biggest piece of evidence I have that Abandoned is not a Kojima joint is that Kojima is in talks with Microsoft about publishing his next game, according to a source familiar with the matter. And yes, that statue on Phil Spencer's shelf was referencing a potential deal with the legendary developer. I cannot confirm if Xbox closed the deal yet, but my understanding is that Kojima is the focus of a Microsoft plan to leverage Japanese talent.

Legend

2 things.

#1. Are we all in agreement now that Microsoft is a significant threat to Sony winning this gen? Until this thread, I hadn't really considered that Kojima's next game could skip playstation.

#2. I can't wait to see his next game. It must be a new IP if Microsoft is looking to publish it. Death Stranding was super unique and it'd be crazy if Kojipro can make something completely new yet again.

the-pi-guy

2 things.

#1. Are we all in agreement now that Microsoft is a significant threat to Sony winning this gen? Until this thread, I hadn't really considered that Kojima's next game could skip playstation.
I had a similar thought.  
MS seems to be making deals left and right.  Bringing MLB to Gamepass, Zenimax, bringing EA Play to Gamepass, there's a rumored Ubisoft deal as well.  Half of these really affect Sony, half of them don't.  

Right this second, I'm starting to wonder if MS is trying push themselves, so that Sony allowing Gamepass on their platform essentially has to happen.

Xevross

2 things.

#2. I can't wait to see his next game. It must be a new IP if Microsoft is looking to publish it. Death Stranding was super unique and it'd be crazy if Kojipro can make something completely new yet again.
1. Yes and not just winning this gen, I think Xbox are gunning for Playstation full stop. I think in the last day or so I've made the decision that I'm gonna get an xbox and use PS5 for first parties only, and only try to buy them at sale price because of the new ridiculous pricing. If I do stick with this decision then Sony will have lost a lot of money from me this coming gen.

2. If I can ever try DS for free some day and I like it then yeah sure, but for now I don't care.

kitler53

so i say it over and over for months and everyone dismisses me but if legend says it once suddenly everyone is on board.   i see what's going on here,.. fudge you guys,.. i'm going home.

sony can still win this if their first party reigns supreme.  games sell consoles.  but MS seems determined to buy up the industry so as i said before,... sony better start making their own acquisitions too because they could quickly find themselves in a nintendo like state where most of the games are first party.   MS has 23 studios now and but like 15 of those were acquired in the last 2 years and all of them were multiplat before.   if MS acquires another 15+ studios in the next 2 years they will basically have purchased a monopoly in gaming.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Apr 08, 2021, 02:35 PM Last Edit: Apr 08, 2021, 02:40 PM by the-pi-guy
so i say it over and over for months and everyone dismisses me but if legend says it once suddenly everyone is on board.   i see what's going on here,.. fudge you guys,.. i'm going home.
I don't remember dismissing you outright...  

Also it doesn't have anything to do with what Legend is saying.   ::)

Xevross

Apr 08, 2021, 03:58 PM Last Edit: Apr 08, 2021, 04:00 PM by Xevross
so i say it over and over for months and everyone dismisses me but if legend says it once suddenly everyone is on board.   i see what's going on here,.. fudge you guys,.. i'm going home.

sony can still win this if their first party reigns supreme.  games sell consoles.  but MS seems determined to buy up the industry so as i said before,... sony better start making their own acquisitions too because they could quickly find themselves in a nintendo like state where most of the games are first party.   MS has 23 studios now and but like 15 of those were acquired in the last 2 years and all of them were multiplat before.   if MS acquires another 15+ studios in the next 2 years they will basically have purchased a monopoly in gaming.
I've been wondering about the impact of the big first party games, I don't think its that much. These games sell 20M at the craziest highs and probably have huge overlaps with each other. I think the biggest reason PS is the market leader by such a way is just its brand presence in every non-English speaking market. Xbox just never landed there. But if they push and try to get into those markets more there's no reason they can't catch up, especially when Sony are complacent and do stuff like making PS5 cost $1000+ in Egypt.

The big first parties are why PS4 won in the US, UK and similar last gen, it tipped them over the edge. But its not enough to sustain the platform if its all Sony has to fall back on, especially when xbox will start putting out more big first party games than them, at a lower cost or basically no cost for game pass users.

the-pi-guy

Apr 08, 2021, 11:33 PM Last Edit: Apr 08, 2021, 11:53 PM by the-pi-guy
Jeff grubb said that it was currently with the lawyers.

Apparently Kojima has a few different projects going on.  A larger one and some smaller ones

the-pi-guy

Legend

And that's why I own an xbox lol.

MGSV and Death Stranding are 2 of my favorite games.

kitler53

sony done iced up here.  ...like really iced up.

the-pi-guy

sony done iced up here.  ...like really iced up.
We shall see. I'm sure Kojima has projects for everyone.  8)

kitler53

We shall see. I'm sure Kojima has projects for everyone.  8)
sony should have bought him outright.  he emboddies playstation.

Xevross

sony done iced up here.  ...like really iced up.
What did Sony do exactly?

sony should have bought him outright.  he emboddies playstation.
They probably wanted to but Kojima wanted independence.

kitler53

What did Sony do exactly?
more like what they didn't do.  whatever game is going Xbox exclusive should have been a playstation exclusive.