Microsoft in talks to buy Discord for 10 billion+

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 26, 2021, 12:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Microsoft Is in Exclusive Talks to Acquire Discord - WSJ

Microsoft Corp. is in advanced talks to acquire messaging platform Discord Inc. for $10 billion or more, according to people familiar with the matter, as the software giant seeks to deepen its consumer offerings.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

so how's that skype acquisition going?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

I remember I had a talk with my friend about that, since they had MSN, why bother with Skype?  We came to  the conclusion that Microsoft needed a business focused messenger app.  No idea why they want Discord.  Unless Discord is blowing up in the business realm.

kitler53

I remember I had a talk with my friend about that, since they had MSN, why bother with Skype?  We came to  the conclusion that Microsoft needed a business focused messenger app.  No idea why they want Discord.  Unless Discord is blowing up in the business realm.
from what i've heard discord has replaced skyped from a popularity perspective.   that's the problem with things sorts of things,.. it's soo easy for the user base to just move on.  generational angst (kids don't want to be on facebook because that's where their parents are) means these sorts of social platforms are almost certain to die out.

BananaKing

Because for the life of them, Microsoft can not innovative and create new and big products. If they didn't have the cash cows that are office and Windows, which are products that are 40~ years old. MS would have shivered up and died.

The only thing I can give them credit for are their cloud solutions, but those are a result of the massive money they could pour into it. Again, from windows and office. if they didn't have a monopoly on PCs they would have died a long, long, long time ago.

the-pi-guy

I doubt they're too upset, Teams has taken off.

No idea why they want Discord.  Unless Discord is blowing up in the business realm.
It sounds like it's being driven by the game division.

Legend

This is the stuff that makes me worry as an indie dev. So many games use nothing but discord for building communities and now Microsoft could fully control that.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

Good, going public was always the better choice.

Dr. Pezus