PSVR 2 officially in the works

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 23, 2021, 02:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Today I'm pleased to share that our next-generation VR system will be coming to PlayStation 5, enabling the ultimate entertainment experience with dramatic leaps in performance and interactivity. Players will feel an even greater sense of presence and become even more immersed in their game worlds once they put on the new headset.

We're continuing to innovate with our new VR system so that our fans can continue to enjoy the unique experiences that are synonymous with PlayStation. We're taking what we've learned since launching PS VR on PS4 to develop a next-gen VR system that enhances everything from resolution and field of view to tracking and input. It will connect to PS5 with a single cord to simplify setup and improve ease-of-use, while enabling a high-fidelity visual experience.

One of the innovations we're excited about is our new VR controller, which will incorporate some of the key features found in the DualSense wireless controller, along with a focus on great ergonomics. That's just one of the examples of future-proof technology we're developing to match our vision for a whole new generation of VR games and experiences.

There's still a lot of development underway for our new VR system, so it won't be launching in 2021.

the-pi-guy

There's not much here though.

- not wireless (unless there's another model)
- sounds like haptics is likely for controllers
- 2022 seems likely, as I have been predicting for months (years?)

kitler53

wow.  what a non-announcement.

i guess it is good to know though.  the "single-cord" is a bit surprising considering the patents we've seen.  ...or maybe even more surprising is that with all the lack of information in that article they chose to confirm that particular detail.   new controllers is fantastic though,.. haptics sounds wonderful but improved tracking is a must.

is it true that ps5 can't play people's media like ps3/ps4 and doesn't have a web browser?   i'm not ashamed to say that most of my VR consumption is bad stuff.  if the ps5's VR doesn't support bad stuff i won't be buying.  i was hoping ps5 would have better support for higher resolutions and 3D videos.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

wow.  what a non-announcement.

i guess it is good to know though.  the "single-cord" is a bit surprising considering the patents we've seen.  ...or maybe even more surprising is that with all the lack of information in that article they chose to confirm that particular detail.   new controllers is fantastic though,.. haptics sounds wonderful but improved tracking is a must.

is it true that ps5 can't play people's media like ps3/ps4 and doesn't have a web browser?   i'm not ashamed to say that most of my VR consumption is bad stuff.  if the ps5's VR doesn't support bad stuff i won't be buying.  i was hoping ps5 would have better support for higher resolutions and 3D videos.
PS5: How to watch videos and listen to music from a USB drive | TweakTown

No web browser though.  I am sure they will have more features when PSVR2 launches. 

Legend

PS5 has a web browser but they don't want people to use it. Can only be used to check psn status and click on links you find there. Maybe one day they'll flip the switch and let people use it for other websites, but idk.

And psvr 2? So shocking!!! I wish it was coming out sooner since for a time Hapax supported vr, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with it right now.

kitler53

PS5: How to watch videos and listen to music from a USB drive | TweakTown

No web browser though.  I am sure they will have more features when PSVR2 launches.  
hmm..  seems pretty bare bones.  consistent with what i heard i guess which was "ps5 doesn't have a media player".    hard to say for sure from that write up but it does not appear to support VR formats.  hopefully they'll add that along side the new psvr.

the web browser on ps4 doesn't support streaming anyways so it's not necessarily a bad thing in this context.  still it feel wrong to have these kinds of missing features.  i didn't use it a lot but it was convenient from time to time.

PS5 has a web browser but they don't want people to use it. Can only be used to check psn status and click on links you find there. Maybe one day they'll flip the switch and let people use it for other websites, but idk.

And psvr 2? So shocking!!! I wish it was coming out sooner since for a time Hapax supported vr, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with it right now.
release now and when psvr2 comes out add psvr support and re-release your game at a higher price...

Legend

release now and when psvr2 comes out add psvr support and re-release your game at a higher price...
I was thinking of a free update, but that sounds even better. $70 Hapax Directors Cut edition with full PSVR2 support and 3 bonus endings!

kitler53

I was thinking of a free update, but that sounds even better. $70 Hapax Directors Cut edition with full PSVR2 support and 3 bonus endings!
i would (re)buy it!