MS feels like they are ahead of Sony

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 19, 2020, 02:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Mar 19, 2020, 02:20 AM Last Edit: Mar 19, 2020, 02:46 AM by the-pi-guy
So I'm sure that most people won't agree with me on this. But I feel like Sony is messing up their messaging with the PS5. And MS is doing well.

Here's why I think so:

-MS announced their specs first.  And some of the more notable specs are better on the Series X. The graphical difference will be fairly small, but Xbox still has the numbers. 

-MS is promising a lot of backwards compatibility across their entire Xbox line up.  Sony has promised PS4 BC, but their messaging today has been confusing at best, dismal at worst. 

Polygon - PS5 will be backwards compatible with most of the top 100 PS4 games
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/03/ps5s_backwards_compatibility_with_ps4_has_fans_baffled

-MS has already shown their box, their controller and some small features like quick resume. 

In practice, the differences will be much smaller, the PS5 will likely have a better price.  But right now it feels like MS's messaging is better. 

It doesn't help that Sony's first public discussion about PS5 was an hour long technical breakdown with very little for the consumer. 

None of this may matter in a year, but right now it's kind of concerning.  This doesn't feel like the same Sony that launched the PS4 (and it arguably isn't). 

2013 Sony started off the PS4 with some technical discussions, but they announced several games for it day 1.

Compared to their messaging in 2013 it feels like Sony is pivoting away from gamers and me towards developers.  While MS is pivoting towards gamers, and away from casuals.

Even MS's messaging on their specs feels like it's as much towards developers as gamers.  They're focusing on numbers instead of getting into the deep technical explanations.

I'll say it again, none of this will probably matter in a year. In the meantime though, confidence in Sony feels lower than it has been in several years.

Legend

I agree.

PS5 hardware is great. It is super awesome from my point of view.

The marketing however has been very poor.

I'm not a fan of Xbox Series X marketing but it looks great compared to PS5.

To recap.

2018 e3: Microsoft teases their next gen system. All hype and no info, but next gen systems are pure hype so it works.

2019 April: first PS5 Wired article. Not a lot of info and zero hype, but is fun to have the next gen system confirmed.

Xbox>PlayStation at this point.

2019 E3: another xsx teaser. Light on info but some fun hype.

2019 October: second Wired article. Bit more info but no hype beyond being about PS5.

Xbox > PlayStation for this round too.

2019 Dec: XSX reveal at the game awards. Awesome surprise with a next gen game showcase. Not enough info imo but great hype.

2019 Dec and 2020 Jan: Godfall randomly shown for PS5. Cool but not that big. PS5 logo at CES.

Xbox >>>>> PlayStation for this round.

2020 few days ago: xsx specs, a teardown, and some impressions. Not that cool but still a solid marketing beat.

2020 today: spec sheat and a odd long video talking about stuff that's hard for gamers to enjoy. Poor timing with xsx days before.

Xbox > PlayStation once again.

It's like Sony doesn't care about hype anymore. Every single PS5 thing so far has only used existing interest in the console. If we were talking about a next gen system by Google, very few would care.

There is still time to bring out the big guns but modern Sony isn't acting like PS4 Sony.

the-pi-guy

I agree.

PS5 hardware is great. It is super awesome from my point of view.

The marketing however has been very poor.

There is still time to bring out the big guns but modern Sony isn't acting like PS4 Sony.
2013-2016 Sony was probably the GOAT.  

They started PS4 with great games, and showed more just months later.
Honestly I'd say marketing wise:
PS4 >> Series X >> Xbox One >> PS5

Xevross

People will forget all this once the full reveals with games happen. Sony are lacking so far but hopefully they start to get it right down the line.

2013-2016 Sony was probably the GOAT.  

They started PS4 with great games, and showed more just months later.
Honestly I'd say marketing wise:
PS4 >> Series X >> Xbox One >> PS5
XB1 > PS5 are you mad? XB1 was a disaster show when it was first revealed. PS5 has been confusing but it hasn't put off hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of customers due to ridiculous consumer policies.

What won PS4 last gen was being cheaper at launch and having better games, we'll have to see how that goes this time. XSX being 2 consoles mixes things up a bit. Microsoft could really mess it up if they get the messaging with that wrong.

kitler53

People will forget all this once the full reveals with games happen. Sony are lacking so far but hopefully they start to get it right down the line.

XB1 > PS5 are you mad? XB1 was a disaster show when it was first revealed. PS5 has been confusing but it hasn't put off hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of customers due to ridiculous consumer policies.

What won PS4 last gen was being cheaper at launch and having better games, we'll have to see how that goes this time. XSX being 2 consoles mixes things up a bit. Microsoft could really mess it up if they get the messaging with that wrong.
strongly agree with both:

PS4 >>> Series X >PS5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xbox One 

as far as games goes,.. series x could have twice the flops and naught dog would still have a game that is better looking and better playing than anything any studio MS owns is capable of.

@Legend.  your timeline is very revisionist,..  when sony stealth dropped their ps5 announcement and confirmed an SSD and gave that spiderman load time demo a ton of hype was generated.   sony won that "phase" easily.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Legend

strongly agree with both:

PS4 >>> Series X >PS5 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xbox One

as far as games goes,.. series x could have twice the flops and naught dog would still have a game that is better looking and better playing than anything any studio MS owns is capable of.

@Legend.  your timeline is very revisionist,..  when sony stealth dropped their ps5 announcement and confirmed an SSD and gave that spiderman load time demo a ton of hype was generated.   sony won that "phase" easily.  

They definitely won it and every round up till this week. I'm arguing however that their victories have been a result of PlayStation being such a strong brand at the moment, and not because their marketing was better.

Dr. Pezus

Sony is just lowering expectations so that people will be blown away with the full reveal

Xevross

Wow there's some bad journalism going rampant spreading fake news about PS5. Seems like most people think only 2.5% of PS4's library will be playable on PS5.

Sony could not have handled this worse, what a complete horror show. What on earth is their marketing department doing right now?

the-pi-guy

Sony could not have handled this worse, what a complete horror show. What on earth is their marketing department doing right now?
This is a big part of what I'm talking about.

There have been like 6 big threads on Era about BC. Just feels like Sony isn't paying attention to gamers right now. Just sticking to what they plan to say, and not making corrections or clarifications.  

the-pi-guy

BananaKing

I feel Sony Hasnt been Marketing PS5 as good. While xbox are doing a better job so far. This wont matter much when next gen games are shown.

I'm not sure why they both took this approach to be honest. They showed off specs. But no games. Xb1 just showed one game. Around june we will see what these games have to offer

Legend

What do you all think will be the next move from Sony?

Will they follow this up with a big e3 style blowout and try to re-reveal the system?

Or will it be another small thing like they have been doing so far? Reveal one game, show the box, or something like that?

I think they need to follow this up with a killer game. If it's ready in a few weeks then just have it on its own, or wait a few months and have a big show.

The PS5 hype needs to be reset before other news will work imo. If they show the box it'll just feed into the current problems. Either it'll be too small and people will keep thinking it's weak or it'll be too large and people will mock it.

Demos of loading could also be nice. If they just put out copies of the two xsx videos that were 3x faster, it'd be great. Show the power.

BananaKing

I think they just need a E3 type show with amazing games and nobody will give a shame.

TLou2 with raytracing and 4k. New spiderman and horizon and will have people going crazy

the-pi-guy

Mar 20, 2020, 02:27 AM Last Edit: Mar 20, 2020, 02:59 AM by the-pi-guy
A small thing they should be doing right now is giving an explanation about their BC.  

Have a big showing of games is the big thing they should be doing next.  End a conference showing off the PS5.  

With PS4, it felt like Sony's messaging was that it's a console for gamers and developers.

With PS5, it so far feels like it's a console just for developers.

Xbox One felt like it was for cable users.

Series X feels like a much worse version of PS4's.

Go Up