Jose Mourinho: Manchester United sack manager

Started by SWORDF1SH, Dec 18, 2018, 07:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

SWORDF1SH

Manchester United have sacked Jose Mourinho as manager after two and a half years in charge.
The Portuguese, 55, won the League Cup and the Europa League at Old Trafford.
But United are sixth in the Premier League, 19 points behind leaders Liverpool, who beat them 3-1 on Sunday.
Jose Mourinho: Manchester United sack manager - BBC Sport

SWORDF1SH

As a Man United fan, I really wanted Jose to sort things out but it increasingly looked worse with every game played. Right decision in the end.

Xevross

Mourinho is one of the most overrated managers out there. It seems like every club he goes to he might have a successful first season or two, but then he creates such a hostile atmosphere that everything falls apart and the club is severely damaged. And that's not mentioning his style of football is awful to watch.

Hope he fudges off from English football, I don't want to watch any of his teams again. And good luck to any top team who hires him, they'll need it.

As a Man United fan, I really wanted Jose to sort things out but it increasingly looked worse with every game played. Right decision in the end.
One of my best friends is a United fan and he was saying the same thing to me. He thinks they should get a head of football now to enforce United's philosophy, and then hire coaches appropriately.

Who do you want to replace him?

BananaKing

It just reached a point that even if he was the right man for the utd job a drastic change was needed. He wasn't getting the most out of the players, he was fighting with key members, he wasn't getting along with the staff or management. And most importantly they played like shame. They played much worse than they should considering the squad they have.

SWORDF1SH

Mourinho is one of the most overrated managers out there. It seems like every club he goes to he might have a successful first season or two, but then he creates such a hostile atmosphere that everything falls apart and the club is severely damaged. And that's not mentioning his style of football is awful to watch.

Hope he fudges off from English football, I don't want to watch any of his teams again. And good luck to any top team who hires him, they'll need it.
One of my best friends is a United fan and he was saying the same thing to me. He thinks they should get a head of football now to enforce United's philosophy, and then hire coaches appropriately.

Who do you want to replace him?
I honestly don't think there was anything wrong with what he was trying to do on the pitch, the problem was that he couldn't get his players to play for him. A poor playing side will always look like a defensive side no matter what style they play.
Look at past games when a lot of the players where actually on form, we played positive attacking football. The start of last season we were destroying teams 4 nil for fun. What happened along the way was Jose falling out with his players with Pogba and Martial the main players taking a disliking to Jose.

I agree with your friend and also Gary Neville that the problem is a lot deeper.

I'm not sure who I'd like to see in but Pochettino would be a great choice. I'm just not sure how committed he is current project with Tottenham and if the draw from a bigger club would be big enough to lure him away.
If I could have any manager it would be Pep, but that will never happen in a million years.

Xevross

I honestly don't think there was anything wrong with what he was trying to do on the pitch, the problem was that he couldn't get his players to play for him. A poor playing side will always look like a defensive side no matter what style they play.
Look at past games when a lot of the players where actually on form, we played positive attacking football. The start of last season we were destroying teams 4 nil for fun. What happened along the way was Jose falling out with his players with Pogba and Martial the main players taking a disliking to Jose.

I agree with your friend and also Gary Neville that the problem is a lot deeper.

I'm not sure who I'd like to see in but Pochettino would be a great choice. I'm just not sure how committed he is current project with Tottenham and if the draw from a bigger club would be big enough to lure him away.
If I could have any manager it would be Pep, but that will never happen in a million years.
Yeah his tactics are fine, they are defensive but they work. The problem is that he makes everyone hate him off the pitch, he's done it the last few jobs he's been at now. No matter what, key players and staff seem to start hating him after a couple of years. He certainly wasn't the man to carry you forward, there's a reason he has never stayed at a club more than four years.

It's a shame from Utd's perspective it took so long to get rid of him, it was never going to work out.

SWORDF1SH

Yeah his tactics are fine, they are defensive but they work. The problem is that he makes everyone hate him off the pitch, he's done it the last few jobs he's been at now. No matter what, key players and staff seem to start hating him after a couple of years. He certainly wasn't the man to carry you forward, there's a reason he has never stayed at a club more than four years.

It's a shame from Utd's perspective it took so long to get rid of him, it was never going to work out.
I wouldn't say his ta tactics were defensive, more like balanced.

Dr. Pezus

Good riddance in the end but United's problems are bigger than him unfortunately. It's been almost 6 years since SAF with no progress and many players have actually got worse than they were (Rashford, Pogba, Sanchez, Matic etc) . Hopefully a new coach can inject some life into their play again but they need someone who can make a team a team, not just individuals.

Kerotan

Speaking of resetera and vgchartz who is the guy on chartz with the same avatar as this guy on Era? https://www.resetera.com/members/wescoast76.47989/

SWORDF1SH

Solskjaer will be interim manager.  I'm glad they will take the time to decide on who will get the permanent job.
Solskjaer doesn't need to do much other than massage a few egos to get a few players playing again. Long term Solkjaer isn't good enough to be Manchester United.

BananaKing

Solskjaer will be interim manager.  I'm glad they will take the time to decide on who will get the permanent job.
Solskjaer doesn't need to do much other than massage a few egos to get a few players playing again. Long term Solkjaer isn't good enough to be Manchester United.

He needs to get a top 4 spot. It's still doable and should manage to get there. They have the players to be able to do so.

SWORDF1SH

He needs to get a top 4 spot. It's still doable and should manage to get there. They have the players to be able to do so.
11 points behind Chelsea in 4th. Basically we need Chelsea to lose 4 times more than we do. I think that's improbable.

SWORDF1SH

11 points behind Chelsea in 4th. Basically we need Chelsea to lose 4 times more than we do. I think that's improbable.
And then Chelsea go and lose at home to Leicester. Odds have improved.

Kerotan

Hey sword there's actually a sports thread. You could update that instead maybe?

Dr. Pezus

Great first match. 5 goals for the first time in forever as well