The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Aliens: Colonial Marines AI fixed by a single letter | ResetEra

Knowing full well how absurd this sounds on the surface, I took it upon myself to reinstall the PC version of the game, look at the .ini file and check myself. Sure enough, a single letter typo was found exactly where he claimed. I was in disbelief. As recommended, I fixed the typo, saved it in Notepad and booted the game up.

The improvement is immediately recognizable in your first encounters with the Xenos. While they still charge you perched on their hind legs, they now crawl far more often, flank you using vents and holes in the environment and are generally far more engaged and aggressive. Five years after release, a single letter managed to overhaul the entirety of the enemy AI behavior in the game.

While I am still a vehement detractor of Gearbox and the game itself and would recommend against picking this up for any price, if you already own the game on Steam I wholeheartedly recommend trying this out yourself. Also consider enhancing your experience with the TemplarGFX ACM overhaul mod as it brings a host of other small but noticeable improvements to the game. And while I'm here, don't forget to give this ol' gem a watch.

UPDATE:
 JigglesBunny said:       [/size]

Holy shame this is hilarious. How was this not noticed?!
Lol I posted a different article about this in another thread.  

Hmmm, it really seems like a bunch of things would have had to go wrong.  

Why didnt they notice it not working as it should have?  

Was there no error code to make it known?  (Or maybe there was a large number of errors, and they just didn't go through them) The alternative is that they messed up the try catch, or maybe they had it set up to try finding the file and running without it if it wasn't found.