Xbox FY24 Q2

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 30, 2024, 09:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Legend

What is up with all the talk lately about xbox being dead now that ps5 is in stock? Hardware revenue increased.

the-pi-guy

What is up with all the talk lately about xbox being dead now that ps5 is in stock? Hardware revenue increased.
Kind of think most of it is due to Series X selling more and Series S selling less.  

Last week in Japan:
Xbox Series X - 1,428
Xbox Series S - 460

A year ago:
Xbox Series S - 740
Xbox Series X - 205

This is just one example, so maybe I am completely wrong if one looks at the entire data set. Which I don't really have any time to do so, right now.

But I've generally gotten the impression that Series X is selling better.

Apparently in Japan, Xbox sold about half of what it did the previous year, but based on individual weeks (can't find yearly totals for the two separated), it looks like Series X is making a bigger chunk of the sales.

Amazon Charts 2021: Series S at 28, Series X at 80

Amazon Charts 2021: Series S N/A, Series X at 48

Amazon Charts 2021: Series S N/A, Series X at 32

Dr. Pezus

Yeah didn't X have some supply issues in 2022 still while S was everywhere?

kitler53

like Pi said,.. used to be that series S was ~66% of unit sales.  Now it's ~33%.     revenue % != unit %.  

also from what i've seen accessories have been doing quite well on both ps and xbox.   it's baffels me how many people are buying those pro controllers.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

also from what i've seen accessories have been doing quite well on both ps and xbox.   it's baffels me how many people are buying those pro controllers.
Yeah it's wild to me that so many people are buying the $200 DualSense. It usually beats out the regular DualSense on Revenue.

kitler53

Jan 30, 2024, 11:27 PM Last Edit: Jan 30, 2024, 11:34 PM by kitler53
like Pi said,.. used to be that series S was ~66% of unit sales.  Now it's ~33%.     revenue % != unit %. 

also from what i've seen accessories have been doing quite well on both ps and xbox.   it's baffels me how many people are buying those pro controllers.
...and to add. 

in that other discussion I wasn't trying to say Xbox unit sales declined 25% YoY or anything.   

the comparison is between series XS and Xbox one.   series XS had a modest decline in unit sales this year.   for the same year in Xbox one's lifecycle it had ~15% growth.  going into decline a year early puts it on a trajectory significantly below Xbox one. 

...and PS5 is seeing like 25% YoY growth. 

series XS was following Xbox one trajectory pretty perfectly until this year where sales seemed to inverse that of ps5.

in other words,..  total hardware sales are generally flat this year despite huge growth by PS5.

Legend

...and to add.  

in that other discussion I wasn't trying to say Xbox unit sales declined 25% YoY or anything.  

the comparison is between series XS and Xbox one.   series XS had a modest decline in unit sales this year.   for the same year in Xbox one's lifecycle it had ~15% growth.  going into decline a year early puts it on a trajectory significantly below Xbox one.  

...and PS5 is seeing like 25% YoY growth.  

series XS was following Xbox one trajectory pretty perfectly until this year where sales seemed to inverse that of ps5.

in other words,..  total hardware sales are generally flat this year despite huge growth by PS5.
I believe ya, I just don't really know the state of speculation vs fact with xbox sales numbers since MS doesn't report them anymore.

kitler53

I believe ya, I just don't really know the state of speculation vs fact with xbox sales numbers since MS doesn't report them anymore.
the numbers come from tracking services like NPD ect.   even though they really clamped down on leaks there are those that are allowed talk in enough detail to keep tabs on LTD and MoM,YoY changes and relative performance if you want to. 

kitler53

Jan 31, 2024, 12:51 AM Last Edit: Jan 31, 2024, 12:54 AM by kitler53
apparently MS guidance is forecasting -40% in Xbox hardware revenue for next quarter.    ...so <1m in unit shipments next quarter.

the only way I can see that big of a decline is if this quarter the shipped too many consoles.  probably explains why revenue is up a bit when unit sales are down a bit.