Apple Vision Pro is here, unboxings and reviews

Started by Legend, Jan 30, 2024, 04:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

the-pi-guy

Hey, wait. This isn't my thread.

nnodley

i wanna be excited for this, but I just can't.  I'm waiting for the AR contact lenses that can replace my current contacts I wear. lmao. Then i'll be excited for AR/VR

Dr. Pezus

Sounds like it's got some 1st gen problems. Not really a 3500 product imo

the-pi-guy

uploadVR summary

The good:

CNET called the displays "vivid, richly colored, HDR and just stunning. Not only is it good enough for movies - something Apple is touting constantly - but it's better than any TV in my house."
Ian reported in his hands-on time, Vision Pro's passthrough is so good that in ideal conditions it rivals transparent optics, and the reviewers agree.

The Verge described it as "an astonishing engineering achievement to do all of this in real time, at high resolution, in a computer that fits over your eyes".
The bad:

"visionOS feels also designed for an eye tracking system that's just slightly more precise than it actually is -- a lot of controls are just a little too small and a little too close together to let you quickly bop around the system. You have to look, make sure you're looking at the thing you want, and then tap, or you might end up clicking on the wrong thing. Sometimes the fastest way to select what you want is to look away entirely and try again."
Worse, they say Vision Pro's lenses are "not sharp edge to edge", and have "a little bit of color fringing, distortion, and vignetting around the edges of the lenses, which shrinks the usable field of view even more".
While the reviewers all agree the passthrough is incredible in the right lighting, as with all cameras the performance will decrease as less light is available.

The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern said in low light she "couldn't read things with smaller print" and couldn't see pepper coming out of a shaker. She also said low light reduced the color accuracy.

The Verge's Nilay Patel noted that while he could easily use his iPhone in good lighting, as the sun set the iPhone screen "got noticeably blurrier".
"Apple's headset has all the characteristics of a first-generation product: It's big and heavy, it's battery life sucks, there are few great apps and it can be buggy. And come on, have you seen what this thing thinks I look like?

Yet so much of what the Vision Pro can do feels sci-fi. I'm flicking apps all over my home office. I've got multiple virtual timers hovering over my stove. I'm watching holograms of my kid petting a llama. It's the best mixed-reality headset I've ever tried, way more advanced than its only real competition, the far cheaper Meta Quest Pro and Quest 3."

Dr. Pezus

Price too steep imo for something with flaws

Legend

Agrees with The Verge on many takes but is a lot more positive overall. Has the complete opposite take on passthrough and thinks it's great, good enough to play ping pong in.

The external screen looks so incredibly bad. Is it an aliasing issue or something cause it looks like it has glitchy chunky pixels on top of being so dim.

Legend

Legend

Can't be used while moving lol. So no cars or trains.

Weird that visual tracking isn't prioritized enough to allow this. Quest works fine I think.

Dr. Pezus

Can't be used while moving lol. So no cars or trains.

Weird that visual tracking isn't prioritized enough to allow this. Quest works fine I think.

Planes?

Legend

Planes?

Seems to mostly work but with degraded quality.