Downtown or uptown, which do you prefer?

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Sep 18, 2019, 09:13 PM

previous topic - next topic

BananaKing

Sure, like Downtown Abbey! ;)

But in seriousness I was being deliberately obtuse because these terms aren't used in the UK at all and if you asked me I wouldn't be 100% sure what Americans use them for. My guess would have been downtown is the central area of a city and uptown is the suburbs. British people would say "city centre" or "town centre" instead of downtown and we don't really have a term for uptown we usually just say the name of the place. There's also abbreviations of those terms people use.

For example everybody in my home city of Preston refers to downtown/ the city centre simply as "town", which everyone understands is short for "town centre". So we say "I'm going into town" to people. idk if that's a common northern thing or if its just my city which says that. And for the uptown part I'd just say the name of the suburb I live in. Uptown wouldn't make sense at all in most cities really, you could be referring to any number of places.
You know what's annoying with you guys in the uk? How you tell time. It's just.... annoying.