Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

gonna be honest,.. the movies didn't do it for me.  amazing books and i will say traslating them to the movies is not an easy task.   ...but some of the changes they made to the story was just dumb.  i didn't hate the movies.. really i liked them enough.   still didn't love them.  
What changes?

I've read about a bunch of little changes, but nothing absurd.

Legend

The Matrix soft reboot is giving me Men in Black soft reboot vibes.

Wonder if it's just my distaste of bland cgi or if it's just that most soft reboots fail.

BananaKing

The Matrix soft reboot is giving me Men in Black soft reboot vibes.

Wonder if it's just my distaste of bland cgi or if it's just that most soft reboots fail.
I just saw the trailer. I have to say I'm disappointed as well.

Their attempt to make this good seems to be "make everything CGI". The matrix was awesome because it had cool fight scenes that didn't really use CGI much (well the first one).

Plus boo at new morpheus

kitler53

Sep 09, 2021, 06:12 PM Last Edit: Sep 09, 2021, 06:48 PM by kitler53

What changes?

I've read about a bunch of little changes, but nothing absurd.
okay so i found a site that documents stuff:
https://www.theonering.com/

i can say just in general,.. because of the thickness of the books a lot of content had to be cut.   BUT,... there is a crud load of content that was created out of thin air.   some of it feels possible/probable and just not discussed in the books but some of it doesn't seem to fit at all.   generally speaking the movie made up a lot of scenes or changed details about scenes to make the movie more action oriented and dark.   i think this especially hurt the "rise" of the movies,.. encounters went from mild to intense as the story progressed.  a lot of make up crud is in the first movie where they wanted a more exciting movie than the story that was written: orc pod, lurtz, various black rider encounters,  the saruman and gandalf wizards dual.

..but a few key details that really ruffled my feathers.

Faramir was depicted as cruel and greedy by capturing frodo and (the part i was really mad about) taking frodo back to minas tirith.   none of this happens in the book.  faramir (the brother to boromir) is very gentle natured in the books and assists frodo without the need for explanation on his quest.  in the books, his character was made to be a counter-point to boromir whom betrays frodo in the first book.  that whole scence where frodo confronts the ringwraith really pissed me off.  all this fabricated content end in a completely unsubstantiated 180 in faramir sending frodo back on his quest.  it's like 30 minutes of completely fabricated BS that is completely counter to the themes established in the book.

in the first book they cut out tom bombadil.   it was like half of frodos journey from the first book and pretty cool.  why cut what's awesome to put in crud?!?

elves (other than legolas) at the battle of helms deep.   way to completely fudge up the entire back story of the elves bumb...   really there was a lot of changes to the elves to make them feel more important then they were.  the elves were extremely important in the hobbit but the theme in TLoR was fading glory.

one change i do approve of was removing the scouring of the shire.   the final book "ended" and then kept going for like another pointless 100 pages on pointless crud.   it really put a sour note at the end of some excellent books.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

the-pi-guy

So there was a 1978 cartoon movie of Lord of the Rings first book.  
I haven't seen the movie itself, but I've seen various scenes.  And it's so goofy.

Aragorn: Come no closer
Orcs: Ok, we'll stay here.

Goofy looking balrog flies 40 feet, only to land right in front of Gandalf.

Gandalf awkwardly yells at people, that they can't help him.

Gandalf looks like he's out of his mind, and is having PTSD flashbacks.

Sam^

Bilbo looks like he's got something else going on.
Frodo has this tiny fist, ready to punch out his uncle.

the-pi-guy

Spoiler for Hidden:
<div style="text-align:center;margin:auto;padding:5px;max-width:560px;"><div style="position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%;padding-top:0px;height:0;overflow:hidden;" class="youtube swZErNO5l3c"> <iframe style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/swZErNO5l3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div>

Uncharted movie trailer leaked.

the-pi-guy

As I said before, I'm really obsessed with LOTR right now.  I've been on a binge for the past month, whenever I can.  

I don't recall ever watching the third hobbit movie.  But I know that that the Lord of the rings fan base doesn't love it.  

So far this is my favorite scene. And I think it helps me understand one of the big reasons why the hobbit movies are worse.  Besides the other factors like the amount of filler, and the stuff with the elves that most LOTR fans hate.  

I feel like this scene is the closest to LOTR in quality.  
I love the scenes, and there is always music that greatly complements it.

But that rarely happens in the Hobbit.  

the-pi-guy

Not so controversial take.

But the Age of Ultron trailer is so much better than the movie.

BananaKing

Not so controversial take.

But the Age of Ultron trailer is so much better than the movie.
The trailer was fire. It got me so hyped.

The movie was a huge letdown.

Also did anyone watch dune? Is it any good?

the-pi-guy

All true.

My friend described it as "Spectacular"

Dr. Pezus

It's incredible. See it in the cinema

BananaKing

It's incredible. See it in the cinema
The issue is that my friends aren't interested in watching sci fi movies. And one doesn't even have the vaccine so we won't go the cinema when doing stuff because she can't go.

Dr. Pezus

The issue is that my friends aren't interested in watching sci fi movies. And one doesn't even have the vaccine so we won't go the cinema when doing stuff because she can't go.
Go alone!

BananaKing

Go alone!
Going alone is just sad. Its like going to a resturant alone. I dont do that.

Go Up