The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

the-pi-guy

What is that?
The steam hardware results.  
The blue is Vive at 66%, the blue-ish green is the Rift CV1 at 27.75%, and the DK2 is still at 6.25%.
valve-steam-hardware-and-software-survey-vr-headsets-april-june-2016-2

the-pi-guy

Would like to see VR games add a running (teleportation) button.

Legend

Would like to see VR games add a running (teleportation) button.
Don't most use a form of blinking?

The steam hardware results.  
The blue is Vive at 66%, the blue-ish green is the Rift CV1 at 27.75%, and the DK2 is still at 6.25%.
valve-steam-hardware-and-software-survey-vr-headsets-april-june-2016-2
We can use that info to guestimate sales. >120k DK2s have been sold and that number is probably a lot higher nowadays. Round to 100k on steam though and we know 1.5 million OR+Vive are on steam.

the-pi-guy

Don't most use a form of blinking?
Out of the ~7 games I've played, 6 try artificial locomotion,  but I'm including the 3 racing/space games in that. Only 1 uses blinking. 

But what I would like to see is have artificial locomotion but then have a button for teleportation. Get the best of both worlds.

I really want to play more games that do stuff like that to really see what they feel like. 

We can use that info to guestimate sales. >120k DK2s have been sold and that number is probably a lot higher nowadays. Round to 100k on steam though and we know 1.5 million OR+Vive are on steam.
That seems very very optimistic. 
It sounds like the Rift is only counted if Oculus Home is running. 

Legend

Out of the ~7 games I've played, 6 try artificial locomotion,  but I'm including the 3 racing/space games in that. Only 1 uses blinking.  

But what I would like to see is have artificial locomotion but then have a button for teleportation. Get the best of both worlds.

I really want to play more games that do stuff like that to really see what they feel like.  
That seems very very optimistic.  
It sounds like the Rift is only counted if Oculus Home is running.  
By artificial locomotion you mean standard press button to move controls?

Have you tried any games with tank controls? Just hold the move button and move in the direction you're looking? I feel like that might feel a bit better than strafing.

Even the DK2 needs to be connected to Oculus Home for steam? Then nevermind!

How do the reflections feel in the games you've played? In standard stereo 3D I often lost my suspension of disbelief from them, so I imagine it's worse in VR.

the-pi-guy

By artificial locomotion you mean standard press button to move controls?
Yes, apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology.

Have you tried any games with tank controls? Just hold the move button and move in the direction you're looking? I feel like that might feel a bit better than strafing.
I think there's an option for that in Crystal Rift, but I've gotten used to how it's set up.
But I haven't played any VR games like that. 

Even the DK2 needs to be connected to Oculus Home for steam? Then nevermind!
I'm not certain.  I'm guessing so, because even if you start SteamVR for the CV1, it automatically opens up Oculus Home.
So they seem to have CV1 pretty tied down to their own software, would be fairly surprised if it was different on the DK2.

How do the reflections feel in the games you've played? In standard stereo 3D I often lost my suspension of disbelief from them, so I imagine it's worse in VR.
Hmmm, I'm having trouble even thinking of games that really had noticeable reflections. 
Most of my playtime has involved games that basically look like this.

This is actually the only thing that I can think of.

This demo is waay cool for reasons though. 
The masks or whatever you want to call them, mirror your motions.  I really love it.

Legend

I thought you've played Elite Dangerous? It should have a ton of reflective/glossy surfaces.

Problem with reflections (I'd expect) is that the reflections are either in 2D and have the same depth as the surface, or they are infinitely far away and look odd because of that too.

the-pi-guy

I thought you've played Elite Dangerous? It should have a ton of reflective/glossy surfaces.

Problem with reflections (I'd expect) is that the reflections are either in 2D and have the same depth as the surface, or they are infinitely far away and look odd because of that too.
I think I've only played like 20 min of it. If that.

Tacos had played a lot more!  

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Mmm_fish_tacos

the-pi-guy

?, like a mirror?

Mmm_fish_tacos

the-pi-guy

Go Up