It's time for the world to get a second type of currency

Started by Legend, Dec 14, 2018, 08:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

It's fun thinking of the world like a video game. Right now players can only use money to buy things. I think this is flawed because the devs shoehorned this currency to be applied to everything. Goods and services work great with the current system but other things are unbalanced as fudge. Take for example fines as punishment for a crime. A player without a lot of money has to worry about these fines and plan their playthrough accordingly but for a player with lots of money these fines become irrelevant.

The best solution is to release an update that introduces a second currency separate from money. Give it a gimmick like coins expire after 365 days or something so that it functions fundamentally different. Also make sure that it either has very little overlap with things purchased with money or that costs are calculated in a very different way. I.E. make it a "positivity coin" where the cost is associated with the item/action's burden on society. A gas car and an electric car could both cost $50,000 but buying the gas car would also cost a few positivity coins. Being convicted of a crime would then naturally include a positivity fine instead of a monetary fine.

Now I've never worked on a game as complicated as life so I'm not going to pretend like this is necessarily the correct way to implement it, but I definitely feel like something like this would be a huge improvement to the game's balance.

Cute Pikachu

What if we are in a video game
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Legend

What if we are in a video game
Then I'd be a random NPC lol.