Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

darkknightkryta

Sandler had his cookie cutter movies that I'm sure he made a lot of money off of back in the 90s.

Dr. Pezus

It's just surprising becsuse the movie got amazing reviews (90 on meta). Meanwhile, JoJo rabbit got noms with 58 meta

Legend

It's just surprising becsuse the movie got amazing reviews (90 on meta). Meanwhile, JoJo rabbit got noms with 58 meta
I saw jojo rabbit yesterday. Shocked it has a 58 meta. Might be the film I'm rooting for on Sunday.

So far I have seen:
Once upon a Time
Joker
Jojo Rabbit
The Irishman
Marriage Story

the-pi-guy

I saw jojo rabbit yesterday. Shocked it has a 58 meta. Might be the film I'm rooting for on Sunday.

So far I have seen:
Once upon a Time
Joker
Jojo Rabbit
The Irishman
Marriage Story

Thoughts on Joker?

Legend

Thoughts on Joker?
Was good. I watched it way after release so I went in with some expectations.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>I expected more bad stuff. The movie &quot;only&quot; had him murder some people while I expected it to show him become a full terrorist.<br><br>Great acting by the main cast. Kinda poor plot/pacing imo. <br>

Dr. Pezus

So far I have seen:
Once upon a Time
Joker
Jojo Rabbit
The Irishman
Marriage Story

Tbf Joker got 59. Both got a way better response from audiences

Also, I hope Joker wins everything. Going to watch Parasite tonight though, which has a lot of buzz.

Xevross

Birds of Prey opened with a poor $33m, way below industry tracking and even below studio expectations which were ($45m). Biggest problem may be that perfect audience for film is teens but they decided to make it R rated, apparently it's only R rated due to lots of swear words that aren't even necessary.

With a budget of about $100m they might make a loss.

Legend

Not at all shocking but ouch. They have promted this movie so much yet it has always looked bad.

BananaKing

Birds of Prey opened with a poor $33m, way below industry tracking and even below studio expectations which were ($45m). Biggest problem may be that perfect audience for film is teens but they decided to make it R rated, apparently it's only R rated due to lots of swear words that aren't even necessary.

With a budget of about $100m they might make a loss.
I think one of the issues is that Harley debuted in suicide squad. Which sucked and people didnt like. This kind associated with that movie

Xevross

I think one of the issues is that Harley debuted in suicide squad. Which sucked and people didnt like. This kind associated with that movie
That definitely lowered hype and expectations, but doesn't explain how the film came in so far below tracking from earlier in the week.

Apparently 35% of the film's audience are under 25 compared to 54% for Suicide Squad and teens are giving it the most positive scores, seems like the R rating was just a disastrous decision. Teens who want to see the film and will probably enjoy it and create WOM aren't being allowed to watch. Marketing was very much trying to be teen appealing as well. Just a really weird clash of ideas on this one.

Overseas opening is possibly even worse for the film with a global opening of $81m (expectation was about $120m). It will probably squek past $200m but not much more, which is very much the territory for being in the red.

Looking forward to seeing how much Parasite jumps in the next week.

the-pi-guy

Feb 10, 2020, 03:08 PM Last Edit: Feb 10, 2020, 03:10 PM by the-pi-guy
I didn't even realize that Harley movie came out.

BananaKing

That definitely lowered hype and expectations, but doesn't explain how the film came in so far below tracking from earlier in the week.

Apparently 35% of the film's audience are under 25 compared to 54% for Suicide Squad and teens are giving it the most positive scores, seems like the R rating was just a disastrous decision. Teens who want to see the film and will probably enjoy it and create WOM aren't being allowed to watch. Marketing was very much trying to be teen appealing as well. Just a really weird clash of ideas on this one.

Overseas opening is possibly even worse for the film with a global opening of $81m (expectation was about $120m). It will probably squek past $200m but not much more, which is very much the territory for being in the red.

Looking forward to seeing how much Parasite jumps in the next week.
Yeah  seems like you are right. Because everytime I see an add to this it does feel like it wants to appeal to that demographic. And if a few curse words are what stopped it then it seems like a bad decision.

Maybe it was influenced by dead pool and wanted to be something like it. Edgy. And thought and R rating wouldnt hurt its perforperformance  

Dr. Pezus

How the eff do a few curse words make it R rated though lol.

Xevross

Its not just a few curse words but its very heavy on the swearing, lots of motherfuckers and stuff like that. Add that onto the violence and some naughtiness and drug references and they got themselves an R rating. Apparently all the swearing adds nothing to the film, its just there for the sake of it. And without all the swearing it would have got by with a teen rating.

Also this is something I've never seen, the film's name has just been changed in theatres. No longer "Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" (the brackets its now called "Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey". This is just so bizzare, Warner Bros have no idea what they're doing with this film it seems.

the-pi-guy

It's not the naughtiness and violence that made it R.  It's the sexy violence.   8)

Go Up