Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

maybe,  ms's commitement to cross platfom and series s pretty much gaurentees that they can't make a god of war or TLoU level of impressive game.   the cross platform is just too much of a drag and optimization.

also, other than obsidian ms's studios are pretty much trash.  maybe they'll get better but that takes time.  so like maybe next gen.   besides, the business clearly wants gamepass and not big block busters.  their games will get bogged down by a GaaS model prioritization for gamepass.  
Well the forza devs (both) are good. Also the heavenly sword devs (can't remember the name right now)

Xevross

Well the forza devs (both) are good. Also the heavenly sword devs (can't remember the name right now)
Gears is also a very solid series now and they have lots of newer studios.

kitler53

Gears is also a very solid series now and they have lots of newer studios.
lulz..

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Sep 08, 2020, 04:07 PM Last Edit: Sep 08, 2020, 04:10 PM by Xevross
I really wonder how many consoles xbox are producing and what's the split between them. Any predictions?

XB1 had shipped 3.9M by end of Dec 2013 and on Nov 12th 2014 they announced they passed 10M shipments with an estimated 12M by the end of December 2014.

I think it'll be 5M by end of Dec this time and at least 15M by end of 2021, probably more like 18M roughly matching PS4's sales trajectory.

Split I'd say 3M XSX and 2M XSS in the first 5M. By the end of 2021 it'll be more like 60:40 in favour of Series S, so I'm predicting roughly 10M Series S and 8M Series X end of 2021. Growth from XB1 comes entirely from Series S.

kitler53

I really wonder how many consoles xbox are producing and what's the split between them. Any predictions?

XB1 had shipped 3.9M by end of Dec 2013 and on Nov 12th 2014 they announced they passed 10M shipments with an estimated 12M by the end of December 2014.

I think it'll be 5M by end of Dec this time and at least 15M by end of 2021, probably more like 18M roughly matching PS4's sales trajectory.

Split I'd say 3M XSX and 2M XSS in the first 5M. By the end of 2021 it'll be more like 60:40 in favour of Series S, so I'm predicting roughly 10M Series S and 8M Series X end of 2021. Growth from XB1 comes entirely from Series S.
just no.

xbox one has crashed and burned and there are literally no next gen exclusives for series s/x.    furthermore, there are no exciting cross gen games either.   xbox has done everything in their power to ensure that upgrading to the latest hardware is not urgent.   

i am 1000% confident that xbox can't match ps4's sales curve.  the real question is can ps5 do it either?   ...not without a better line-up of launch games.

Xevross

Sep 08, 2020, 04:21 PM Last Edit: Sep 08, 2020, 04:23 PM by Xevross
just no.

xbox one has crashed and burned and there are literally no next gen exclusives for series s/x.    furthermore, there are no exciting cross gen games either.   xbox has done everything in their power to ensure that upgrading to the latest hardware is not urgent.   

i am 1000% confident that xbox can't match ps4's sales curve.  the real question is can ps5 do it either?   ...not without a better line-up of launch games.
Maybe it will fall short, but its easily going ahead of XB1's 12M. 15M+ I'm pretty confident on now with the $299 Series S. PS4 was 19.9M shipped don't forget, so I'm not predicting XBS will quite match it.

PS5 will be the fastest selling console of all time if its priced right, its first year lineup is just pure nuts. ~8M shipped this year, ~25M end of 2021. Bold prediction but its gonna happen! If Sony get the price wrong or the reaction to their event is unexpectedly bad I'm adjusting it down, but it'll still be over 20M and ahead of PS4.

Technology becomes more and more frontloaded every year.

kitler53

Maybe it will fall short, but its easily going ahead of XB1's 12M. 15M+ I'm pretty confident on now with the $299 Series S. PS4 was 19.9M shipped don't forget, so I'm not predicting XBS will quite match it.

PS5 will be the fastest selling console of all time if its priced right, its first year lineup is just pure nuts. ~8M shipped this year, ~25M end of 2021. Bold prediction but its gonna happen! If Sony get the price wrong or the reaction to their event is unexpectedly bad I'm adjusting it down, but it'll still be over 20M and ahead of PS4.

Technology becomes more and more frontloaded every year.
maybe other technologies.   

how many times has this forum talked about this being the least enticing gen ever?   if we hardcore gamers are underwhelmed i can't imagine how disengaged the average consumer is feeling.

Xevross

Sep 14, 2020, 01:02 PM Last Edit: Sep 14, 2020, 01:23 PM by Xevross

Switch with the randomly amazing August in the US. Its still selling everything it ships.

482k < Switch < 553k (NDS 2009)

Legend

Crazy that it is doing this good yet Nintendo is bold enough to rock the boat with switch hd/switch 2 next year. Not at all like how they handled Wii.

kitler53

Crazy that it is doing this good yet Nintendo is bold enough to rock the boat with switch hd/switch 2 next year. Not at all like how they handled Wii.
i don't trust the rumors.

i do believe we could see a "better" model but not anywhere near the "switch 4k" rumors going around.   if the wishes rumors were all true the switch HD would cost like $600.  absolutely no fudgy way can nintendo nvidia get xbss performance into switches form factor in 2021.   

i think it will be like more like the upgrade we got in the 3DS XL,.. just a slight boost in power.   That might be just enough juice to power DLSS 2.0 on top of existing games and frankly would make much more sense.   add in a slightly larger battery, slightly higher rez screen, and controllers that don't drift and nintendo will get the nintendo die-hards to rebuy their hardware again for another 20 million in sales.

anything more than that is too much, imo.

Legend

i don't trust the rumors.

i do believe we could see a "better" model but not anywhere near the "switch 4k" rumors going around.   if the wishes rumors were all true the switch HD would cost like $600.  absolutely no fudgy way can nintendo nvidia get xbss performance into switches form factor in 2021.  

i think it will be like more like the upgrade we got in the 3DS XL,.. just a slight boost in power.   That might be just enough juice to power DLSS 2.0 on top of existing games and frankly would make much more sense.   add in a slightly larger battery, slightly higher rez screen, and controllers that don't drift and nintendo will get the nintendo die-hards to rebuy their hardware again for another 20 million in sales.

anything more than that is too much, imo.
I think it's important for Nintendo to have some way to keep up with next gen. Switch ports right now are hard but next gen will be impossible regardless of how much money switch ports make.

Also DLSS more or less runs on tensor cores added to the gpu. I don't know if enough tensor cores could be added without redesigning other components.

My 3 spec predictions.

Option 1: New Switch
Slightly upgraded CPU
Slightly upgraded GPU+tensor cores for 720p to 4k
8GB ram
Faster storage

Option 2: Switch home system with streaming
Closer to series s but focus on DLSS 2.0

Option 3: Switch HD dock
Put tensor cores+hardware in the dock and not the switch
DLSS to 4k while plugged in, regular switch when not

kitler53

Sep 14, 2020, 04:12 PM Last Edit: Sep 14, 2020, 04:14 PM by kitler53
I think it's important for Nintendo to have some way to keep up with next gen. Switch ports right now are hard but next gen will be impossible regardless of how much money switch ports make.

Also DLSS more or less runs on tensor cores added to the gpu. I don't know if enough tensor cores could be added without redesigning other components.

My 3 spec predictions.

Option 1: New Switch
Slightly upgraded CPU
Slightly upgraded GPU+tensor cores for 720p to 4k
8GB ram
Faster storage

Option 2: Switch home system with streaming
Closer to series s but focus on DLSS 2.0

Option 3: Switch HD dock
Put tensor cores+hardware in the dock and not the switch
DLSS to 4k while plugged in, regular switch when not

i mean, i don't know technology as well as you it would seem so i'll trust you on the tensor core thing.  i'm okay with that,.. i'm much more of a software guy then a hardware guy.  you're predictions sound reasonable i suppose.  what you did that i'm not seeing in the rumors is make the "xbss" specs a home console only device.  i can get behind that idea.   i really don't see option 3 happening.

however,.. those don't look like small architecture changes to me.  how natively BC would that be to the switch's software library?  seems to me to be kind of disruptive.

but i'd be more likely to buy a home console only switch then the current version.  i don't really want a switch for myself but my kid is 6.75 years old this christmas so it's been in the back of my mind he'll be getting one.  he loves playing lego games on ps4 with me but we are down to only 3 more games and after lego there isn't much in the way in age appropriate content.   a home console only version gives me a lot more control in when and where he plays as well as making it easier for us to play together.

sony really needs to put some more focus kid appropriate content, imo, because it is sony moreso than nintendo that will be selling me a nintendo switch..

Legend

i mean, i don't know technology as well as you it would seem so i'll trust you on the tensor core thing.  i'm okay with that,.. i'm much more of a software guy then a hardware guy.  you're predictions sound reasonable i suppose.  what you did that i'm not seeing in the rumors is make the "xbss" specs a home console only device.  i can get behind that idea.   i really don't see option 3 happening.

however,.. those don't look like small architecture changes to me.  how natively BC would that be to the switch's software library?  seems to me to be kind of disruptive.

but i'd be more likely to buy a home console only switch then the current version.  i don't really want a switch for myself but my kid is 6.75 years old this christmas so it's been in the back of my mind he'll be getting one.  he loves playing lego games on ps4 with me but we are down to only 3 more games and after lego there isn't much in the way in age appropriate content.   a home console only version gives me a lot more control in when and where he plays as well as making it easier for us to play together.

sony really needs to put some more focus kid appropriate content, imo, because it is sony moreso than nintendo that will be selling me a nintendo switch..
A portable xbox series s will certainly not be happening for years. I have no idea what Nintendo should do in the face of next gen. Everything will be disruptive and unless they are really disruptive, they still wouldn't be strong enough for ports. My options 1 and 3 would only be enough to make Switch games look good on 4k screens.

Switch is great. Maybe you could buy a cheap one online with a busted battery so that it only works as a home console. I only use mine docked because my left joycon has drift issues. Need to use my pro controller.

kitler53

A portable xbox series s will certainly not be happening for years. I have no idea what Nintendo should do in the face of next gen. Everything will be disruptive and unless they are really disruptive, they still wouldn't be strong enough for ports. My options 1 and 3 would only be enough to make Switch games look good on 4k screens.

Switch is great. Maybe you could buy a cheap one online with a busted battery so that it only works as a home console. I only use mine docked because my left joycon has drift issues. Need to use my pro controller.
meh, i've done a bit of research and there just aren't the games i want to play.  yeah, there is a decent catalog of nintendo games but it is soo incredibly barren of 3rd parties game in general and the ones they do have are terrible ports of games i could play on ps4.

maybe my tastes are a bit counter to the typical nintendo fan at this point.   like i loved smash bros when i was in college but now that i'm all grown up the game is actually pretty terrible when i don't have 3 friends on the couch with me.   i just hated smash on wii because of that,.. who knew 80% of the fun was the trash talk.  i'm really not inclined to pay for online (even at $20) when i know i'd almost never use it so lot's of games (like mario kart) feel worthless.   i'd play BotW and super mario odyssey and a few others but i couldn't get to 10 games in switch's entire library i would buy.  it's just a "nintendo" machine and as i've said before i view them as a garbage developer these days.

Xevross

Sep 18, 2020, 11:03 AM Last Edit: Sep 18, 2020, 11:07 AM by Xevross
PS5 has appeared on the amazon UK best sellers chart. Its the #9 best selling video game item for the entire year, sold more than Super Mario 3D all stars which has been glued to #1 on the current best sellers chart for a long time.

Digital PS5 isn't in the top 100 for the year. But looking at the September chart, PS5 is #1 with the digital being #11. DualSense and the headset are selling more than the digital console at #7 and #10 for september respectively.

PS5 has outsold every game SKU on amazon UK this year except TLOU2 and Animal Crossing.

Go Up