It's frustrating how close the Quest 2 is

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 04, 2022, 12:06 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Disclaimer: I rarely ever use my Quest. Hard to use it a lot when there are toddlers.  

The Quest 2 is great in a lot of ways. The display is streets ahead from the PSVR/Rift. It's very much in good enough territory. The resolution isn't perfect, but it's not distractingly bad like the Rift/PSVR are. The audio is good quality and it's not through headphones that cover your ears.  

But there are so many short comings.

Passthrough is okay (the ability to see your surroundings). But there is a lot of artifacting, and it's in black and white.  

The headset itself is the most uncomfortable one I've ever had. It's much worse than the PSVR/Rift. This is my biggest complaint.  

This is why I'm making the thread though: so many bits of the software are missing features or have silly issues.

Like why is it so hard for an app to let you resize the window and move the window and let you have pass through?

Why does the hand tracking automatically turn off after I turn it on with no feedback to the user?

Why does pass through stop working, sometimes when I walk away?

Like, silly little quality of life features and silly bug fixed would go a long way to make this a pretty good experience.  

Legend

I feel that way with VR in general. Every time I turn it on I feel transported to another world. I absolutely love it. Then I shut it off for the night and end up not touching it for another 12 months.

I watched an interview about Myst VR and hadn't thought about how limiting hand tracking is. You have to always hold your hands in front of you.