Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Dec 18, 2019, 10:21 AM Last Edit: Dec 18, 2019, 04:13 PM by Xevross
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes

Oof, rotten indeed. 54% so far, only 1% above TPM which is the lowest rated film in the franchise. Meta is 53, also the second lowest of the franchise at the moment.

Looks like Disney have upset critics for the first time with Star Wars. Both TFA and TLJ were over 90% and even Solo was over 70%.

Edit: remarkable recovery, its reached 60%! :P
Edit 2: back down to 55%, double oof

Xevross

Audience reviews in China are looking very bad. SW has been declining massively in China and it looks like that won't be stopping here. Decline has also been happening in most of Asia, will be interesting to see how the film performs there.

Dr. Pezus

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) - Rotten Tomatoes

Oof, rotten indeed. 54% so far, only 1% above TPM which is the lowest rated film in the franchise. Meta is 53, also the second lowest of the franchise at the moment.

Looks like Disney have upset critics for the first time with Star Wars. Both TFA and TLJ were over 90% and even Solo was over 70%.

Edit: remarkable recovery, its reached 60%! :P
Edit 2: back down to 55%, double oof
Sad  >:(

BananaKing

Yaaaaassss

Let star wars die... let it die....

Xevross

In the cinema now, will let you guys know what me and friends think in about 3 hours!

BananaKing

In the cinema now, will let you guys know what me and friends think in about 3 hours!
Enjoy!

Xevross

Oh good god. What a mess of a film. I think I like it overall but there is so much wrong with it. TLJ was absolutely shimed all over, they may as well have just released a video saying it's not canon anymore.

Xevross

Audience was very stale, no cheers, gasps or laughs: no jokes landed. My hardcore SW friend who hated TLJ thought it was good, and the casual friend thought it was okay mostly liking the kylo and Rey character development.

Heard one guy Infront of us say "star wars is dead to me now" on the way out so that's something.

Xevross

Dec 19, 2019, 12:41 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2019, 02:38 PM by Xevross
There's a bit of chatter on box office forums about star wars not actually reaching $1b. That would genuinely be astounding but it's certainly possible if general WOM isn't good. In the key European markets where SW is usually huge its opening worse than TLJ so far (Italy, france, germany).

China numbers are a complete and utter disaster, with WOM being so bad it's full opening day was lower than it's 7pm previews. Looks to be making less than $20m total there after TFA was over $120m. Star wars is basically dead there now.

Final week presales in the US have been relatively poor, seems the bad reviews had an impact. Opening weekend could well be less than $200m domestic, a big decline from the previous two films.

Xevross

Dec 19, 2019, 11:36 PM Last Edit: Dec 19, 2019, 11:43 PM by Xevross
Been formulating all my thoughts today, I still need to see the film again to make my mind up but I also don't really want to have to sit through it in cinema again (I watched TLJ 5 times in cinema). My Mum was planning on taking me to go see it with her on Sunday but I think I might just see if she wants to watch Frozen 2 or something because I think she'd enjoy that more and I know I'd much prefer to see F2 again in cinema than Rise of Skywalker. idk if she'll want to wait until its out on DVD though. Anyway, I'm not the biggest SW out there but here's my rankings for all the films now:

Star Wars 10/10
The Empire Strikes Back 10/10
Rogue One 9/10
Return of the Jedi 8/10
Revenge of the Sith 8/10
The Last Jedi 8/10
The Force Awakens 7/10
Solo 7/10
Attack of the Clones 6/10
The Rise of Skywalker 5/10
The Phantom Menace 5/10

Xevross

Dec 20, 2019, 04:46 PM Last Edit: Dec 20, 2019, 05:09 PM by Xevross
$40m previews for TROS. Under $200m OW is happening... yikes. Let's see OD numbers, insider says presales point to about $48m true Friday for $88m OD total.

Overseas openings are 10-20% less than TLJ on average, which is also a yikes. Finales usually open much higher and have worse legs, same is true for the last two SW trilogies as well. Under TLJ total looks quite certain now after most were predicting a bounce back. May well not get much over $1b after all. Mad.

Legend

I decided to not bother seeing it this weekend. Seems many are in the same boat.

In isolation (aka no last jedi and no star wars brand in general) how would you rate it? Are most of its problems due to context or is it just a poor film regardless of how you slice it?

Xevross

I decided to not bother seeing it this weekend. Seems many are in the same boat.

In isolation (aka no last jedi and no star wars brand in general) how would you rate it? Are most of its problems due to context or is it just a poor film regardless of how you slice it?
The star wars stuff is super mixed overall, contributing lots of good and bad. I think without star wars brand the enjoyment that was there would be gone. It's a very mixed film just from a critical standpoint, so without star wars it would be just bleh

Xevross

Full opening day friday for SW TROS is looking $89-92m according to insiders. Comparisons:

Endgame $157m
TFA $119m
Infinity War $106m
TLJ $104m
HP: DH2 $91m
Age of Ultron $84m

So this would be #5 or #6 opening day of all time and quite far off episodes 7 and 8. Probably heading to about $190m OW although hard to tell yet. If it comes in at the high end then has good sat and sun it could well sneak over $200m.

Also here's AJ's spoiler free review which surprisngly amost mirror's all my thoughts exactly, even the score

nnodley

I'm glad i'm not super into star wars.  Haven't seen any in theaters, but i'll likely enjoy it when I watch on digital/bluray.

Go Up