GamesIndustry.biz: Sony shuts down Manchester Studio

Started by Legend, Feb 04, 2020, 10:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

GamesIndustry.biz: Sony shuts down Manchester Studio | ResetEra

Via GamesIndustry.biz: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-02-04-playstation-to-close-manchester-vr-studio
PlayStation will close its Manchester games studio.

The firm confirmed to GamesIndustry.biz that it intends 'to close it as part of our efforts to improve efficiency and operational effectiveness'.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  
The studio was founded in 2015 to develop VR games but has never released anything.  

the-pi-guy

Hiring one week, shut down the next?  

Although that might be why...  

BananaKing

They were hiring a few weeks ago? Wtf?

Dr. Pezus

Feb 04, 2020, 11:02 PM Last Edit: Feb 04, 2020, 11:05 PM by Dr. Pezus
They were hiring a few weeks ago? Wtf?
Less than a week!

Brexit?

BananaKing

Less than a week!

Brexit?
Sony just found out about Brexit?

Dr. Pezus

Sony just found out about Brexit?
They have shut down 5 studios in the UK in the past decade!

They've known about it longer than most of us

DerNebel

I mean sorry to those affected, really.

But this studio was a thing for 5 years and we've seen or heard nothing of the game they were making there. I think it's not too farfetched to think that things weren't going smooth for them.

Legend

I mean sorry to those affected, really.

But this studio was a thing for 5 years and we've seen or heard nothing of the game they were making there. I think it's not too farfetched to think that things weren't going smooth for them.
It's hard to know. My ignorant guess based off the recent hiring was that they were a really small studio focused on exploring VR concepts, and only now were moving in to production.

I'd bet the shutdown was related to scaling up the studio, not past performance.

the-pi-guy

It's hard to know. My ignorant guess based off the recent hiring was that they were a really small studio focused on exploring VR concepts, and only now were moving in to production.

I'd bet the shutdown was related to scaling up the studio, not past performance.

Dr. Pezus

Weird. Sony must be planning something

darkknightkryta

Sony hates England.  On another note Medievil 2 Remake has a bunch of rumours.

the-pi-guy

Sony hates England.  On another note Medievil 2 Remake has a bunch of rumours.
Might just be because the composer said something that got misinterpreted to be a tease.

darkknightkryta

Might just be because the composer said something that got misinterpreted to be a tease.
Probably.  I'm happy enough with just Medievil.  It's just I'm sure the studio that made the original Medievil was shut down.  Not sure if it was Cambridge at the time, or if it was absorbed into Cambridge.  But yeah, Cambridge ded.