PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Firesprite seems to be winding down it's crazy growth rate.

Seems like hiring across the board is largely settled. With Guerilla and Naughty Dog being notable exceptions with lots of openings.

Well Insomniac has quite a few, as well.  But most don't seem to have as many as they did.

kitler53

i think everyone everywhere is worried about a global recession.  i'm hearing a lot of places either slowing hiring or outright pre-emptively downsizing (mostly via attrition) already.  gaming seems to have take a big hit and i wouldn't be surprised if sony is a bit worried.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

i think everyone everywhere is worried about a global recession.  i'm hearing a lot of places either slowing hiring or outright pre-emptively downsizing (mostly via attrition) already.  gaming seems to have take a big hit and i wouldn't be surprised if sony is a bit worried.
For sure.

I wonder if this will change their acquisition plans. They promised to spend like ~$20 billion on acquisitions and I think they have only spent half of that.

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Dragun
Wanted to share a list of links that is or could be cooking under SIE.
Transmedia Storytelling across SIE stands out.
Rumored Code Names in quotations.

SIE's First Party Studios
All of the links broke when posting, but pretty solid list of what's going on.

Legend

All of the links broke when posting, but pretty solid list of what's going on.
Will be fun to see how well this ages in the coming years.

Firesprite seems to be winding down it's crazy growth rate.

Seems like hiring across the board is largely settled. With Guerilla and Naughty Dog being notable exceptions with lots of openings.

Well Insomniac has quite a few, as well.  But most don't seem to have as many as they did.

You said they cancelled their action shooter in the other thread. Sad.

Hopefully those devs are being reassigned, which would definitely slow down their growth.

the-pi-guy

Haven: Machine learning's potential for players and developers

In formally launching the studio's Montreal office space last week, Haven co-founder Jade Raymond said more than 30% of the studio is currently working on advanced machine learning, artificial intelligence, and cloud-based dev tools.

"We really have this vision to bring a new type of player-centric, community-driven game to life," Raymond said. "And to do that, these investments are very important."

While it's not quite clear yet exactly what kind of payoff those investments will have, Haven shared an early look at technology that it believes could potentially be used in game development down the road.
Cerny was particularly interested in how tools like Olson demonstrated could be used to create lots of content quickly that may not be "directly publishable AAA content," but is good enough to get an idea across.

"The first thing I see is before the game even begins, the whole process of conceptualization is going to get so much freer and faster," Cerny said.

Legend

Seems like a waste to have the studio itself working on that. The tech is coming incredibly fast regardless of what this specific studio is working on. Seams cheaper to go with a fast follower approach.

The tech itself is incredible though. Just describe a game asset and the fully textured 3D model will pop into existence.

kitler53

maybe it's just me because i'm an engineer but...

...i wish someone was pursuing a first principles approach.   at least for natural landscapes.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

This is a "chair" I produced on low settings using the first free AI I found on google. With better non free servers you can produce stuff like this:

Give it a year and nearly every studio will be using AI to generate non important assets in some form or another.

the-pi-guy

Sony's studio growth:

Naughty Dog - 53
Guerrilla Games - 38
Insomniac - 28 + 17 internships
Firewalk - 27
Sucker Punch - 21
Deviation Games - 20
Polyphony Digital - 16
Team Asobi - 13
Haven - 13
London Studio - 10
San Diego - 10
Santa Monica - 10
Bluepoint - 9
Bend Studio - 8
Housemarque - 8
Media Molecule - 6
Nixxes - 6
Valkyrie Entertainment - 6
Firesprite 1 + 7 Speculative

the-pi-guy

Horizon

Let's get some predictions out here! Within the first year I think these will all be announced:

Wushu existing IP game (explains why Shinobi won't divulge anything on Sony), Bluepoint game/Demon Souls remake, Ratchet and Clank, Silent Hill, Housemarque new I.P and Horizon Zero Dawn 2.

Wasn't a million miles away just under 2 years though

the-pi-guy

Wasn't a million miles away just under 2 years though
He has returned.  :o

Horizon

I've been taking a look on linkedin (assuming numbers are close) it's clear Sony are going to lean on Naughty Dog, Insomniac,Guerrilla and Santa Monica for output this gen. ND have around 720 employees, Insomniac 480, Guerrilla 402 and Santa Monica 365. I suspect they plan to build Firesprite to be around 350 one day. Sucker Punch definitely would be up there but they seem reluctant to grow massively but I think they'll hit 200 soon. The rest of Sony studios are all under 150 and it seems we'll be lucky to get 2 games from some devs such as Bend. Housemarque and Bluepoint do seem very productive considering their size but Bluepoints new project might test them and we might not see it for years.

He has returned.  :o
You know what I forgot the name of the website lol. Vizioneck isn't the easiest name to remember.

Go Up