Nintendo's Next Console: Q1 or 2H 2024

Started by kitler53, Jul 09, 2023, 01:51 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

Jul 09, 2023, 01:51 AM Last Edit: Aug 02, 2023, 06:21 PM by kitler53
so Nintendo's next hardware is starting to get "leaks".  figure we should have a place to talk about it.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Plausible-Nintendo-Switch-2-release-date-period-alluded-to-in-Foxconn-financial-news-report.732868.0.html

In addition, although the overall momentum of game machines this year is mediocre, with the traditional peak season coming in the second half of the year, game machine shipments are expected to increase compared to the first half of the year, and Nintendo plans to launch the Switch in Q1 next year.

Legend

Dr. Pezus

SWORDF1SH

Strange. Nintendo are still shifting a lot of Switchs. Any details on the actual console? I'm just wondering if Nintendo are seeing a shift in the market that they want to get on early or if this is a true dedicated handheld.

I know the Switch is technically an handheld but I surprised Nintendo let go of their grip on a proper handheld that was small and portable. The DS was insanely popular and they just abandoned having a successor. I think a DS2 on the market wouldn't have dented the Switch sales that much.

kitler53

Jul 09, 2023, 01:54 PM Last Edit: Jul 09, 2023, 01:59 PM by kitler53
Fiscal Q1?
1. a leak/rumor to take that for what it is. 

2. yes, this is from a financial document so it would be fiscal reporting. 

Strange. Nintendo are still shifting a lot of Switchs. Any details on the actual console? I'm just wondering if Nintendo are seeing a shift in the market that they want to get on early or if this is a true dedicated handheld.

I know the Switch is technically an handheld but I surprised Nintendo let go of their grip on a proper handheld that was small and portable. The DS was insanely popular and they just abandoned having a successor. I think a DS2 on the market wouldn't have dented the Switch sales that much.
1. switch is soooo old. 

2. switch sales are in a big decline this year.  not catastrophic or anything but Nintendo can't milk this forever. 

3. personally I expect BC and a large cross-grn period just like PS5/Xbox

as far as the actual console the only other things I've seen and didn't post has been
1. a developer in Spain claims to have dev kits. 
2. via the ABK FTC trial Bobby "expects" power similar to a PS4. 

I'll post more as I see them

kitler53

and to add,.. I checked to be sure.  foxconn's fiscal year is aligned with the calendar year: jan-dec. 

the-pi-guy

There already was a DS2. It was the Nintendo 2DS/3DS, and it sold half what the DS did.

Nintendo also has a smaller switch.

Major selling point is that it does both, and Nintendo doesn't have to split up their development resources.

Legend

Will the new console be a switch hd, or will it once again be a new gimmick?

The handheld+home setup is staying for sure but I bet joycons won't return. Just glue them on and force a pro controller when docked.

SWORDF1SH

There already was a DS2. It was the Nintendo 2DS/3DS, and it sold half what the DS did.

Nintendo also has a smaller switch.

Major selling point is that it does both, and Nintendo doesn't have to split up their development resources.
Yeah you're right and I keep forgetting just how old the Switch is.

BananaKing

Nintendo loves useless gimmicks so I think there will be a new gimmick attached to the new console.

But I bet it's a console that's xb1/PS4 level of power with 4 or 6 gb ram and that it's a handheld with a dock our HDMI output

kitler53

Nintendo loves useless gimmicks so I think there will be a new gimmick attached to the new console.

But I bet it's a console that's xb1/PS4 level of power with 4 or 6 gb ram and that it's a handheld with a dock our HDMI output
not every console as been based around a useless gimmick though and many useless gimmicks have been sold separately (balance board, labo).  

if ever there was a time not to "rock the boat" it's after having a huge success.  i don't expect anything drastically different from a switch.  

frankly a "switch HD" is all i want.   my kid wants a switch.  i don't want a console that runs soo poorly especially at the end of the life cycle.   my number 1 priority is full BC  so i can catch up on the 2 gens of nintendo i skipped (wiiU and switch) while also accessing whatever nintendo does next.  i don't have high expectations for nintendo any more but i don't want to buy a console that is 2 gens behind my ps5.

BananaKing

not every console as been based around a useless gimmick though and many useless gimmicks have been sold separately (balance board, labo).  

if ever there was a time not to "rock the boat" it's after having a huge success.  i don't expect anything drastically different from a switch.  

frankly a "switch HD" is all i want.   my kid wants a switch.  i don't want a console that runs soo poorly especially at the end of the life cycle.   my number 1 priority is full BC  so i can catch up on the 2 gens of nintendo i skipped (wiiU and switch) while also accessing whatever nintendo does next.  i don't have high expectations for nintendo any more but i don't want to buy a console that is 2 gens behind my ps5.
There was some sort of commen from the xbox and Activision trial where someone said they expect the next switch to be ps4 level of power.

Nintendo don't want to compete with Sony because they can't, they already been kicked out of the console space. It seems they will always be a gen behind when it comes to power, specially if they keep releasing handles with a dock

I agree though that they shouldn't rock the boat. Just give people a stronger switch with better hardware and software and BC. But I doubt they will do BC so they can remaster and sell their old games... again and again and again

kitler53

I agree though that they shouldn't rock the boat. Just give people a stronger switch with better hardware and software and BC. But I doubt they will do BC so they can remaster and sell their old games... again and again and again
i mean,.. yeah maybe.  ..but also the market today is a lot different than in prior gens.   both ps and xbox has BC for (nearly) 100% of their "last gen" games.   nintendo does their own thing a lot but on this one particular point i think their next console is DoA if it doesn't have BC.  
1. customers love it
2. it makes a lot of sense to the business (imo) to have a cross gen period where games can both satiate next gen early adopters without alienating the massive last gen user base.  

i dunno if BC "for all prior software" makes sense to the business and it probably isn't too important for most customers either.    but 1 gen of BC feels like a must for both customers and console manufactures.

....because after 2 gens even if you could play the original must customers will happily pay for a remake/remaster anyways.

kitler53

not really anything different from what i posted before but:
https://mynintendonews.com/2023/07/27/chinese-manufacturer-says-its-preparing-for-a-new-japanese-games-console-launching-early-2024/

The rumours of a new Nintendo system next year keeps on swirling as you would expect. The Nintendo Switch is approaching its seventh year next year and technology moves at a rapid pace. Today, Chinese manufacturer PixArt, which has provided the SoC powering the Nintendo Switch JoyCon's along with parts for other Nintendo home consoles said in its latest financial report that they will be busy manufacturing components for a brand new console from a Japanese company that hasn't launched a new system in years which is set to release in early 2024. It seems fairly reasonable to assume the console mentioned is the follow up to the Nintendo Switch family of systems, though as always we will have to wait and see.
so basically the exact same thing i posted but from a different financial report from a different manufacturer.   i'm feeling pretty good about the release window.  hope it launches in time for my kids b-day because i've been telling him now is not the time to buy a switch since the next one is just around the corner.   this would make for a good b-day present for him since he's been asking for it quite a bit lately.  

as much as he likes playing ps5 with me i think he feels left out when every other kid has a switch.

Go Up