Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Far Cry 4 had good legs right?

I doubt 5 will beat it by that much once the dust settles, but that's a great launch. LOL at the going viral comment. That doesn't seem accurate at all.

Xevross

Far Cry 4 had good legs right?

I doubt 5 will beat it by that much once the dust settles, but that's a great launch. LOL at the going viral comment. That doesn't seem accurate at all.
Yeah it did. I think launch week was average but it did well throughout the rest of the holiday season.

I have no idea what that source is, but people seem to think its accurate so...  :-\

Legend

Yeah it did. I think launch week was average but it did well throughout the rest of the holiday season.

I have no idea what that source is, but people seem to think its accurate so...  :-\
Every big game goes "viral" so are they acting like the holiday games and MhW didn't? Or are they acting like fortnight only went viral a month ago?

the-pi-guy

Ubi announced $310 million revenue

For far cry 5

Dr. Pezus

Every big game goes "viral" so are they acting like the holiday games and MhW didn't? Or are they acting like fortnight only went viral a month ago?
Well it depends on what they call viral but yeah MHW for example is one game that did at least as well as far Cry at launch

Legend

Well it depends on what they call viral but yeah MHW for example is one game that did at least as well as far Cry at launch
Exactly, hence why that part of the release seems odd to me.

Xevross

Fortnite only really went viral after all the big holiday games released. And Far Cry 5 is by far the biggest game of the year so far (only MHW comes fairly close).

Its a weird thing to say, but you can see where they're coming from.

Dr. Pezus

Fortnite only really went viral after all the big holiday games released. And Far Cry 5 is by far the biggest game of the year so far (only MHW comes fairly close).

Its a weird thing to say, but you can see where they're coming from.
Both far Cry and MhW sold 5m at launch. So they're about the same

Xevross

Both far Cry and MhW sold 5m at launch. So they're about the same
Oh yeah you're right I thought MHW took a lot longer.

Oh, I guess Ubi don't consider MHW to be AAA. Didn't they say a few months ago that only a few pubs make AAA games now, according to their definition.

Dr. Pezus

Oh yeah you're right I thought MHW took a lot longer.

Oh, I guess Ubi don't consider MHW to be AAA. Didn't they say a few months ago that only a few pubs make AAA games now, according to their definition.
Lol that's stupid though. Why wouldn't MHW be AAA

Xevross

Budget wasn't over $100m. Something along those lines.

Dr. Pezus

I have a hard time believing FC5 had a budget of over 100m, considering they've been rehashing the same engine for a long time.

Xevross

I have a hard time believing FC5 had a budget of over 100m, considering they've been rehashing the same engine for a long time.
*shrugs* Ubi are just full of themselves like that I guess. "We make AAA games, you don't!"

the-pi-guy

1000 people working on it though.  
Far Cry 5's development team was over 1000 people | ResetEra

Probably not too surprising given this is also true of The Division 2, and at one point, Assassin's Creed (though that was for mutliple products at one IIRC). GamesIndustry.biz said:  
Going from producer to managing director of a co-development studio will require some adjustment on Long's part. He certainly has experience in distributed development teams. Far Cry 5's team was over 1,000 people worldwide, and spread between a number of studios. Ubisoft Toronto did about one-third of the game's open world, Ubisoft Shanghai was responsible for populating it with wildlife, and Ubisoft Kiev did work on the engine and the PC version.Click to expand...
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-06-ubisoft-opening-winnipeg-studio  

Go Up