Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

I'm gonna talk out of my dog here, but brick and motar stores don't really have sales outside of Boxing Day/Black Friday.  Digital marketplaces have sales almost daily.  I was tempted to buy the Witcher a few times when the complete edition hit 20 bucks.  I don't think I can find the complete edition 20 bucks in a store as easily.  If you want the game right away, it doesn't make sense to buy digital.  If you're going to buy the game later, just buy digital on sale for dirt cheap.
The bigger reason would be because in the latter years PC sold the most, and thats mostly a digital platform.

Legend

I only buy steam games digitally. I think Star Wars Battlefront and Destiny1 with DLC are the only PS4 digital games my brother or I have purchased.

Xevross

I buy physical mostly on console. This is mainly due to low hard drive space and faster installation times, but also I quite like having physical discs of games I own. On PC I buy exclusively digital, because steam. And also games are much smaller and I have a bigger hard drive.

Dr. Pezus

The bigger reason would be because in the latter years PC sold the most, and thats mostly a digital platform.
Well if you look at the two images again it's not the only reason.

the-pi-guy

I'm pretty sure Steam has had some awesome sales, so that'd be a big reason for higher PC sales and higher digital sales.  I'd guess almost all of the PC sales were digital. That's about 2/3rds of the digital sales this year.  

Even if PS4/XB1 digital sales remained constant, PC is probably the big digital driver here.  

Kerotan

Would used sales damage retail sales after launch and year 1? Surely there is a correlation??

the-pi-guy

Would used sales damage retail sales after launch and year 1? Surely there is a correlation??
Used sales would certainly have an impact.  
But sales also went up for the third year.  

darkknightkryta

This is somewhat off topic, but I started thinking when Kerotan started talking about used games.  Is that dudebro culture still around?  Like the guys who would buy whatever, beat said games, and then trade it in?  I see less and less games catering to them.  Specifically I'm reminded of the mountains and mountains of used Halo 3 and Gears of War that we used to get when I was working at EB Games.  I just don't see that push for used games nearly as much.  Did those gamers stop playing?

Legend

This is somewhat off topic, but I started thinking when Kerotan started talking about used games.  Is that dudebro culture still around?  Like the guys who would buy whatever, beat said games, and then trade it in?  I see less and less games catering to them.  Specifically I'm reminded of the mountains and mountains of used Halo 3 and Gears of War that we used to get when I was working at EB Games.  I just don't see that push for used games nearly as much.  Did those gamers stop playing?
Game devs are moving into live service games so trading in is becoming less common.

Sea of Thieves debuts at #1 in UK charts | ResetEra

In what is easily the biggest shakeup in months, the top four slots in the UK Charts were all captured by debuting titles last week, which forced their way into the big leagues. ... The string of successful debuts was led by Microsoft's seafaring adventure title Sea of Thieves, which was then followed by EA's co-op only prison break title, No Way Out. In third place was beautiful RPG sequel Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, with Ubisoft's remastered edition of 2014's Assassin's Creed Rogue slotting neatly into number four.Click to expand...
Physical-only first week sales, but that's a respectable standing for SoT. These are reported regularly, so we'll have the perspective of how it does in later weeks (alongside the other "small" titles in that top four). (Original article link)U.K. video game sales chart w/e: March 24 2018(Chart reflects in-store sales only)1. Sea of Thieves - Microsoft 2. A Way Out - Electronic Arts 3. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Bandai Namco 4. Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered - Ubisoft 5. FIFA 18 - Electronic Arts 6. Burnout Paradise Remastered - Electronic Arts 7. Grand Theft Auto V - Take 2 8. EA Sports UFC 3 - Electronic Arts 9. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Nintendo 10. Super Mario Odyssey - NintendoU.K. video game charts (GFK Chart-Track) ___________________________________________ And as proof that God has abondoned us:
Elsewhere in the charts, Nintendo 3DS release Detective Pikachu had a disappointing first week, debuting at number 23, while Bandai Namco's Attack on Titan 2 landed at a respectable number 17.Click to expand...

Xevross

Game devs are moving into live service games so trading in is becoming less common.

Sea of Thieves debuts at #1 in UK charts | ResetEra

Physical-only first week sales, but that's a respectable standing for SoT. These are reported regularly, so we'll have the perspective of how it does in later weeks (alongside the other "small" titles in that top four). (Original article link)U.K. video game sales chart w/e: March 24 2018(Chart reflects in-store sales only)1. Sea of Thieves - Microsoft 2. A Way Out - Electronic Arts 3. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - Bandai Namco 4. Assassin's Creed Rogue Remastered - Ubisoft 5. FIFA 18 - Electronic Arts 6. Burnout Paradise Remastered - Electronic Arts 7. Grand Theft Auto V - Take 2 8. EA Sports UFC 3 - Electronic Arts 9. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Nintendo 10. Super Mario Odyssey - NintendoU.K. video game charts (GFK Chart-Track) ___________________________________________ And as proof that God has abondoned us:      
^^ what this misses is that the six new titles combined sold less than the one new title in the same week last year (Mass Effect: Andromeda), so sales were pretty disappointing.

Legend

Mar 26, 2018, 10:14 PM Last Edit: Mar 26, 2018, 10:31 PM by Legend
^^ what this misses is that the six new titles combined sold less than the one new title in the same week last year (Mass Effect: Andromeda), so sales were pretty disappointing.
Yeah I disagree with the reset era post but it's the simplest way to share news.

Also calls it "no way out" ::)

the-pi-guy

. The string of successful debuts was led by Microsoft's seafaring adventure title Sea of Thieves, which was then followed by EA's co-op only prison break title, No Way Out.

2. A Way Out
Hmmm... :o

Can't believe they released the sequel already.  

Dr. Pezus

ダウンロード版販売本数(1/29~2/25) | ゲームよりどりサブカルみどりパーク

MHW digital sales in Feb in Japan

Combined with Jan and retail sales this brings the total to around 2.8m (with March DD sales not included) in Japan alone!

the-pi-guy

ダウンロード版販売本数(1/29~2/25) | ゲームよりどりサブカルみどりパーク

MHW digital sales in Feb in Japan

Combined with Jan and retail sales this brings the total to around 2.8m (with March DD sales not included) in Japan alone!
日本語を読みますか。

Dr. Pezus

Go Up