What is up with fantasy games and "racism?"

Started by Legend, Jan 07, 2020, 09:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I was watching this good GDC talk. At 1 minute in, it shows a quick trailer for The Witcher 3. I tried finding a direct link to the video but failed, so here it is from the GDC talk.

Start watching at 1 minute.

It's just so laughably bad.

Religious fanaticism=burning a man at a stake. Yeah that makes sense.

War crimes=corpses hanged from a tree rotting. Yeah that makes sense.

Even racism="see her ears? She-elf." I'm sorry what?!?

Having inter species conflict makes total sense in fantasy games but why is it treated like a replacement for real world racism? Just have actual racism like with religious fanaticism and war crimes, or don't market it as an issue your game is tackling.

BananaKing

I don't see the issue?

the-pi-guy

Not the thread I expected. But yeah there's quite a few like that.  

I don't see the issue?
I think if a game is going to make social commentary, that it should make social commentary.  Not skirt the issue while pretending to make commentary.  

BananaKing

Not the thread I expected. But yeah there's quite a few like that.  

I think if a game is going to make social commentary, that it should make social commentary.  Not skirt the issue while pretending to make commentary.  
Its actually interesting to see in a way in fantasy games because the races, unlike human races are actually different. Unlike skin color or facial characteristics (or hair color and so on). They are literally different and not the same. I think that opens new venues to explore discrimination and its effects.

Legend

I don't see the issue?
With the specific Witcher 3 video, there is an ironic dissonance between the narration and the actual scene. The narrator presents it as if we are about to witness something horribly racist that no other dev would present, and yet the actual scene is just a white man pointing out a white woman is an elf.

Its actually interesting to see in a way in fantasy games because the races, unlike human races are actually different. Unlike skin color or facial characteristics (or hair color and so on). They are literally different and not the same. I think that opens new venues to explore discrimination and its effects.
Inter species conflict can definitely be interesting. Here's the tv trope page on it if you are interested Fantastic Racism - TV Tropes

The problem imo is when it's as simplified as it is in most games yet is treated as a substitute for real racism.

BananaKing

With the specific Witcher 3 video, there is an ironic dissonance between the narration and the actual scene. The narrator presents it as if we are about to witness something horribly racist that no other dev would present, and yet the actual scene is just a white man pointing out a white woman is an elf.

Inter species conflict can definitely be interesting. Here's the tv trope page on it if you are interested Fantastic Racism - TV Tropes

The problem imo is when it's as simplified as it is in most games yet is treated as a substitute for real racism.
Okay fair enough. It is a good point because usually these issues are pointed as "one person is being racist to the other, and that's bad". Its basically dumbed down so apparently the masses can understand it.