December 2018 NPD - Switch 1.77M, XB1 920k, PS4 797k, Smash 3.6M

Started by Xevross, Jan 22, 2019, 09:06 AM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Results from Magicpork on Era as usual, thank you!

Hardware compared to last year:

Switch 1.50M
XB1 1.36M
PS4 1.05M

Retail leak from csheep on Era, thank you!

Smash Ultimate - 3,592,000
COD Black Ops 4 - 1,647,000
RDR2 - 1,435,000

Xevross

2017 totals:

PS4: 5436k
XB1: 4280k
Switch: 4884k

2018 totals:

PS4: 5327k (-2%)
XB1: 4347k (+1%)
Switch: 5625k (+15%)

Overall great year for PS4 and XB1 thanks to Fortnite + other factors (GOW and Spidey for PS4, X effect for XB1). Switch should have been up more for its second year, I guess its poor SW lineup cost it.

PS4 still has the best year this gen (5736k in 2015). I guess Switch's 2018 pretty much matching PS4 2015 is quite good. Switch needs 6M+ next year though.

Switch did beat PS4's 2015 holiday (Nov+Dec) by about 10k, setting the new holiday record this gen. I remember myself saying before the Nov results were out that this is the minimum I was hoping for Switch, so I guess it achieved that.

ethomaz

Near 2m but not crossing it like I expected... to be fair I expected ~1.9m so 130k off is not that bad.

Expectations were crazy high.

PS4 and XB1 are bad in December but YoY it was great.

Nintendo 20m forecast? Well it is really a dream with these holiday sales in US.

Xevross

Near 2m but not crossing it like I expected... to be fair I expected ~1.9m so 130k off is not that bad.

Expectations were crazy high.

PS4 and XB1 are bad in December but YoY it was great.

Nintendo 20m forecast? Well it is really a dream with these holiday sales in US.
Yeah I think around 1.8M-1.9M was what I was expecting before all the insiders started saying 2M+, so its a shame it went this way.

Indeed, I don't think 20M is happening any more. With Japan flat and US only up 15% YOY overall, I think 18-19M is where its landing and that might take some stuffing as well.

A 1.8M month is still fantastic without any price drops, lets not forget that. Its just with Nintendo's usual big jump from Nov to Dec, and with Smash, I think we were all expecting at least a bit more.

Xevross

Couple of charts from moi.

Holiday 2017 total = 7.76M
Holiday 2018 total = 7.66M

Switch couldn't quite make up for PS4 and XB1 decline.

ethomaz

A bit informative.

PS4 sales for the year was really great.. 3rd best year.

Xevross

A bit informative.

PS4 sales for the year was really great.. 3rd best year.
Yeah PS4 and Xb1 both had great years overall but fairly bad holidays. I think the holiday drops are most indicative or what their performance will be going forwards.

ethomaz

ERA now started to fight about channel stuffing to reach 20m when it was somehow a give before :D

BTW side note.

Benji is a weird guy... he wants attention, he got attention, he doesn't like when he is wrong, he doesn't like when somebody disagree with his view, so he says he will left ERA.

I mean... he hyped the hell of Switch sales and now it is not that "high" so he is sad.

Seems a lot like Aqua in GAF.

Before he wanted to move to Twitter to have more attention to his view of the retail... now he wants left ERA and Twitter lol

Xevross

ERA now started to fight about channel stuffing to reach 20m when it was somehow a give before :D

BTW side note.

Benji is a weird guy... he wants attention, he got attention, he doesn't like when he is wrong, he doesn't like when somebody disagree with his view, so he says he will left ERA.

I mean... he hyped the hell of Switch sales and now it is not that "high" so he is sad.

Seems a lot like Aqua in GAF.

Before he wanted to move to Twitter to have more attention to his view of the retail... now he wants left ERA and Twitter lol
Eh, he says he's stopping doing it because of the hate he's getting. Suggesting he's stopping because he's sad about the numbers or people disagreeing with him is quite insulting to him to be honest and what you're saying here is a false view of events.

He's getting hit with some really bad stuff on twitter, because on Era he said 2M+ looks likely for Switch. Obviously its undeserved and fanboys are being their usual shaming selves, but he did kind of bring it on himself. He shouldn't have posted any actual numbers, just said that Switch is very strong and left it there.

I can see why he wants to stop with the hate he's getting, but he should have been smarter about this. You're right in that he was expanding to try and get more attention and he should have been better aware of what this attention would bring.

ethomaz

Eh, he says he's stopping doing it because of the hate he's getting. Suggesting he's stopping because he's sad about the numbers or people disagreeing with him is quite insulting to him to be honest and what you're saying here is a false view of events.

He's getting hit with some really bad stuff on twitter, because on Era he said 2M+ looks likely for Switch. Obviously its undeserved and fanboys are being their usual shaming selves, but he did kind of bring it on himself. He shouldn't have posted any actual numbers, just said that Switch is very strong and left it there.

I can see why he wants to stop with the hate he's getting, but he should have been smarter about this. You're right in that he was expanding to try and get more attention and he should have been better aware of what this attention would bring.
I don't follow him on Twitter but I didn't see any hate on ERA... I saw a lot of people pointing he was wrong about Switch or disagreeing with his view of the retail... that I guess is fine.

Talking in a geral sense... I don't believe anybody talking about any brand in twitter will not get hate from some... I don't it is something so serious to the point to him stop to give his view... he should just block or ignore these comments.

I guess his pride didn't allow him to ignore or block these "haters" so he get involved.

Seeking attention or popularity will always lead to both sides... bad and good.

I just commented because I found it weird his actions but maybe I'm too calm to be bored for these things lol

Xevross

I don't follow him on Twitter but I didn't see any hate on ERA... I saw a lot of people pointing he was wrong about Switch or disagreeing with his view of the retail... that I guess is fine.

Talking in a geral sense... I don't believe anybody talking about any brand in twitter will not get hate from some... I don't it is something so serious to the point to him stop to give his view... he should just block or ignore these comments.

I guess his pride didn't allow him to ignore or block these "haters" so he get involved.

Seeking attention or popularity will always lead to both sides... bad and good.

I just commented because I found it weird his actions but maybe I'm too calm to be bored for these things lol
He's getting hate on Twitter for stuff he said on Era. People know they won't get away with it on Era so they go to twitter to hate on him. It's kind of respectable honestly.

And what on earth are you on about here, of course he blocks them. He can't see the future and block any twitter account that might give him hate in the future, Jesus.

Stop talking about pride and seeking attention, you clearly have no idea what's going on with him at all.

ethomaz

He's getting hate on Twitter for stuff he said on Era. People know they won't get away with it on Era so they go to twitter to hate on him. It's kind of respectable honestly.

And what on earth are you on about here, of course he blocks them. He can't see the future and block any twitter account that might give him hate in the future, Jesus.

Stop talking about pride and seeking attention, you clearly have no idea what's going on with him at all.
Well that is my opinion.
He wants attention so he needs to deal with the good and the bad but seems like he can't because somehow the bad hurts his feelings (or pride).

Like I said just block and ignore... you don't need to cry because somebody wrote something disgusting to you... let it be and do what you want to do better and better.

There is popular saying here in Brazil like "if what you wrote hit the nail of somebody else that means you are doing something right"... make the critics and hate your steppingstone to the success ;)

Xevross

Well that is my opinion.
He wants attention so he needs to deal with the good and the bad but seems like he can't because somehow the bad hurts his feelings (or pride).

Like I said just block and ignore... you don't need to cry because somebody wrote something disgusting to you... let it be and do what you want to do better and better.

There is popular saying here in Brazil like "if what you wrote hit the nail of somebody else that means you are doing something right"... make the critics and hate your steppingstone to the success ;)
He posts on Era to share insight with the sales community, which he really enjoys. Its not for attention.

And yes, the hate he is getting on twitter is probably hurtful and he's decided its just not worth it for him. If we has seeking attention then he'd be somewhat enjoying all this and he'd keep going.

Xevross

Was just thinking how this was supposed to be an everybody wins kind of month, but all 3 ended up being disappointing in some way. Guess November really was a one-off.

Switch needs to sell 1.9M over the next 4 months to stay ahead of PS4 launch aligned, which obviously isn't happening. I wonder if Switch will ever manage to be ahead of PS4 after April's numbers. It might be able to do it next April, since 2016 was a bit of a dip for PS4.

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens