Climate Change

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 15, 2016, 06:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Causes:
One major discovery in the 1800's, is absorption lines.  It was long assumed that the sun displayed every frequency.

What happens is that very particular frequencies get absorbed by particles. 

Some links

Sunshine is a manifestation of solar radiation and when it is absorbed by the surface of the Earth, the surface heats up and emits a different kind of radiation, known as infrared radiation. Carbon dioxide is a special chemical in that it is transparent to solar radiation and yet it absorbs infrared radiation. Thus, the presence of carbon dioxode in our atmosphere allows sunshine to penetrate to the surface but inhibits the emission of infrared radiation to space.
CO2 in our atmosphere isn't a bad thing.  The issue is that our environment is stable with a certain amount of CO2, and with industry we are creating huge amounts of CO2 that our environment isn't particularly set up to handle.

Imagine a bath tub, faucet on, and draining water in equilibrium.  Our industries are an additional faucet that the drain wasn't intended to handle. 

Effect:
Temperatures rise -> Ice melts -> floods

NASA climate change effects

Earth Temperature Timeline

As you can see from the above graph, we must get rid of the internet, it's causing global warming! 

Aura7541

Also, sea levels not only rise from melting land ice, but also thermal expansion.

Legend

Climate change is the biggest threat humanity has ever faced.

It's hard to hear statements like that and not brush them off as exaggerated fear mongering, but it's the true true. Climate change, nuclear winter, a super virus, and a large rock from space are pretty much the only things that could make humans extinct. Those last three are unlikely to happen but nevertheless society is doing everything possible to prevent/mitigate them. Meanwhile climate change is happening right now and even though the only unknown is "how bad?," society has a hard time investing resources to slow it.

Hopefully 2016 was just a fluke for being so hot but at least it's starting to make the average person take climate change more serious.

Also China actually seems to be pretty onboard with everything. They are fighting hard to decrease CO2.

the-pi-guy

Also China actually seems to be pretty onboard with everything. They are fighting hard to decrease CO2.
This part is really surprising.  
They are pushing really hard to keep the US to do the same.

darkknightkryta

It's hard to hear statements like that and not brush them off as exaggerated fear mongering, but it's the true true. Climate change, nuclear winter, a super virus, and a large rock from space are pretty much the only things that could make humans extinct. Those last three are unlikely to happen but nevertheless society is doing everything possible to prevent/mitigate them. Meanwhile climate change is happening right now and even though the only unknown is "how bad?," society has a hard time investing resources to slow it.

Hopefully 2016 was just a fluke for being so hot but at least it's starting to make the average person take climate change more serious.

My astrophysics teacher suggested that our solar system actually has a sister star that kills everything on the planet at set intervals.

I actually think the poles are starting to shift (This should have happened already from what I understand).  Add that in with the sun getting hotter, our orbit, co2 levels, etc and well... I don't think we're going to be living on this planet for much longer.

@Legend I think the statistic is that air pollution is the number 1 cause of deaths in China.

DD_Bwest

i think one of the problems is we still have boat loads of people who still think that the vast majority of that long info graph showing temperatures during certain human events, never actually happend.

the-pi-guy

Nov 15, 2016, 07:46 PM Last Edit: Nov 15, 2016, 07:50 PM by the-pi-guy
@Legend I think the statistic is that air pollution is the number 1 cause of deaths in China.
Lung cancer because of air pollution and widespread smoking.  
Cancer causes 28% of all deaths in China.  That's insane.  

Sauce

Also air pollution is really a separate (though related) issue.  

i think one of the problems is we still have boat loads of people who still think that the vast majority of that long info graph showing temperatures during certain human events, never actually happend.
Climate change is kinda like infrastructure.  Even though there are people that care about it, no one wants to care of it.  No one wants to pay a few more cents for better roads.  No one cares until the bridge starts falling.  

It gets worse because there's a lot of people out there, that don't even believe in it.  
Some people, it's for religious reasons, God controls everything kind of thing.

I've been having some huge discussions with my uncles about this.  Getting nowhere, but it isn't for religious reasons.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

But was it hot. i know in my area it was a mild summer but its not getting cold as fast as it normally does. hell 4 years ago we had a record for over 30 days in a row of 110 degree weather. and its been nornal or mild every ear after.

I think thats a big issue, everyones perception is different  

the-pi-guy

But was it hot. i know in my area it was a mild summer but its not getting cold as fast as it normally does. hell 4 years ago we had a record for over 30 days in a row of 110 degree weather. and its been nornal or mild every ear after.
I think thats a big issue, everyones perception is different  
Yeah, climate is long term.
Whereas the thing people really notice is short term weather, or if things are really weird (like snow in July).  
Aside from that, a few degrees warmer will get unnoticed.

Max King of the Wild

Global population control should have happened decades ago

the-pi-guy

Global population control should have happened decades ago
Don't think that'd really help.  

The richest parts of the world (that tend to contribute the most to CO2 emissions) are also having fewer children than others.  

Max King of the Wild

Don't think that'd really help.  

The richest parts of the world (that tend to contribute the most to CO2 emissions) are also having fewer children than others.  
They would have even less

nnodley

Yeah it wasn't super hot where I am and was a pretty mild summer, but like @fish it's not getting cold fast here.  By now we usually have close to freezing temps as highs but we been consistently in the low to high 60s.  Also this never usually happens but literally every tree around us is bare, but the tree in our backyard and a couple in my neighbors back yards are mostly full and still green.

But yeah I still can't understand how people can deny this stuff.

darkknightkryta

Nov 17, 2016, 01:32 AM Last Edit: Nov 17, 2016, 01:33 AM by darkknightkryta
Yeah it wasn't super hot where I am and was a pretty mild summer, but like @fish it's not getting cold fast here.  By now we usually have close to freezing temps as highs but we been consistently in the low to high 60s.  Also this never usually happens but literally every tree around us is bare, but the tree in our backyard and a couple in my neighbors back yards are mostly full and still green.

But yeah I still can't understand how people can deny this stuff.
Because the winter's have been the coldest they've ever been here ;o

It's global cooling from where I'm standing :P

ethomaz

Here in Brazil at hot season it is already 30-40 celsius in a normal day.

I can't take more hot please.