Inside Series S

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 09, 2020, 01:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

Lol
my god.  there is soo much ignorance in the world.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I wanted to talk about the design before.

After seeing the reveal, it made a lot of sense. 

The Series X has a split motherboard design going along the long part of the console of course.  Series S was likely to have half the board due to a smaller chip size, less ram, less fan needs.  So they make it half as thick.  But then the top isn't big enough for the vent so they move it to the side of course. 

So if you saw the Series X tear down, it seems pretty clear this is what the Series S was going to look like. The small gamecube design wouldn't work without developing another expensive split board.

Exploded view confirms that:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/09/Still-Image_Xbox-Series-S_6_Exploded-View.jpg

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Sep 10, 2020, 11:11 PM Last Edit: Sep 10, 2020, 11:17 PM by the-pi-guy
https://www.resetera.com/threads/devs-react-to-the-xbox-series-s-specs.284204/

Quote from: Lant_War, post: 44964011, member: 45877
Following the thread we had for the PS5 spec reveal, I'm making this to compile the reactions from developers across Twitter and other social media. For "Official" reactions, Both Xbox's own YT channel as well as Digital Foundry have uploaded videos on the system:

[MEDIA=youtube]fYtJWIxt3-M[/MEDIA]
[MEDIA=youtube]mL4OC46VzFw[/MEDIA]

As for some of the dev reactions:

Developers talked to Patrick Klepek:

Id Software Programmer:

Remedy Technical Producer:

IdSoftware Lead Engine Programmer:

Infinity Ward Multiplayer Designer:

Game Director (ex EA, Infinity Ward and other studios):

Remedy Communications Director:

Flavorworks Creative Director:

Squanch Games Gameplay Programmer (full thread here):

IdSoftware Engine Programmer:

DICE QA:

Devs are surprisingly? negative about Series S.  

Legend

Glad I'm not the only one.

It is a great device but should not get every game and should function as a half gen console.

It's what one x should have been. If series s released in 2017 for $500, would have had a super great life. I wonder if one x was planned to be an entry level next gen option but plans changed after it was developed.

the-pi-guy

Xevross

Yes initial Series S reaction was very positive due to the price but that's all xbox has going for it. Once Sony start to speak again I think xbox will be in trouble. They just have basically no games for the first year while PS5 is looking to have possibly the best first year for exclusives ever seen.

kitler53

Yes initial Series S reaction was very positive due to the price but that's all xbox has going for it. Once Sony start to speak again I think xbox will be in trouble. They just have basically no games for the first year while PS5 is looking to have possibly the best first year for exclusives ever seen.
yeah but xbox has gamepass.  that means gamers get all of those no games day 1 for just $15 per month.  it's an incredible value..

Dr. Pezus

yeah but xbox has gamepass.  that means gamers get all of those no games day 1 for just $15 per month.  it's an incredible value..
Old games are back in style now

the-pi-guy

I don't think that's true. The GPU architecture is much better so it is actually a better GPU overall. The RAM is GDDR6 which gives it an advantage, plus it has the SSD and a vastly superior CPU.
MS confirmed

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xbox-series-s-won%E2%80%99t-apply-xbox-one-x-enhancements-microsoft-confirms.284717/

the-pi-guy

Insomniac game director  ;D

Legend

Deleted lol

kitler53

i have a game night date with one of my best friends on thursdays.  I told him about the series s and his reaction was "what are they trying to do be the next nintendo?  i'm pretty sure nintendo has a lock on the audience that tolerates last gen hardware."

i lol'd.

BananaKing

Lmao^^

I dont see how anyone could look at that GPU and RAM and expect it not to holdback PS5 and XSX

Dr. Pezus

Yeah I wonder what it's really for... No next gen games and it won't run games much better if at all, than xb1x

Go Up