Anthem: bet on the metacritic 60 mc (61 reviews) 60 oc (54 reviews)

Started by Legend, Feb 16, 2019, 06:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

Destiny and The Division suffered same issues. Low content at launch. But they both had top notch gameplay.

This is following the same steps that both those first games had. Though after Destiny 2, and The Divisions updates which made it a really strong game. So anthem looks much worse.
Destiny at least had a PvP mode, varied environments (4 planets?) a story that lasted a decent amount of time, good enemy AI etc. Can't speak for The Division but it had stuff like the dark zone with PvP or whatever that was called.

Anthem just kind of sucks. Its only got one environment and everything looks the same, no PvP, very short story, AI is terrible which makes gameplay basically braindead with no strategy to it at all. Its as barebones as it could possibly be. Add on to that the loading screens, no inventory and the myriad of other issues its created for itself...

This isn't following the footsteps of Destiny and Division. It's a lot worse than they ever were.

Xevross

nnodley

First couple missions of the game are pretty much like a single player story. Not sure why we cant just have the best of both worlds.  A dope singleplayer story and then have the freeplay/strongholds/contracts be co-op in the open world.

But i'm loving it so far

I wouldn't score it that low as of now.  It's a solid 8.5 for me right now.  But could go either way later on.  Love the lore too.

Legend

Woah when did opencritic's website get a redesign? It's so confusing now.

Xevross

Woah when did opencritic's website get a redesign? It's so confusing now.
At least a couple of months ago I think. I've already got used to it :P

It was better before though.

Xevross

ethomaz

Some very good points here. This type of game seems like the dream mesh of genres. I remember when Destiny was first announced and my hype was beyond belief, but this is just so true of all of these games at launch. Destiny 2 forsaken is apparently a brilliant game, Bungie have found the way to make it work. As have Ubi with The Division, which is in a great state now. Warframe is one of the most loved games now as well. Yet Anthem has learned nothing from these games and is launching possibly even worse than any of them, making the same mistakes they did with some new even worse mistakes.
I agree all these games had big flaws at launch but not at the level of Anthem.

Destiny = story telling was bad but gunplay was unbelievable good and end game was saved by VoG
The Division = story and gunplay were fine but end gaming content was almost inexistent
Warframe = story and end game content is good but the gunplay/gameplay is bad and performance was shame

Anthem = well you can sun everything and add bad performance with ridiculous loadtime for everything... well the only think not bad in the game is the gunplay I guess

Xevross

I agree all these games had big flaws at launch but not at the level of Anthem.

Destiny = story telling was bad but gunplay was unbelievable good and end game was saved by VoG
The Division = story and gunplay were fine but end gaming content was almost inexistent
Warframe = story and end game content is good but the gunplay/gameplay is bad and performance was shame

Anthem = well you can sun everything and add bad performance with ridiculous loadtime for everything... well the only think not bad in the game is the gunplay I guess
Indeed, Anthem is the worst of them all. It made pretty much every mistake that the others made at launch + even more of its own new mistakes.

I had good fun playing through Destiny's story, strikes and raid at launch and even though it didn't hook me to stay it was a good game and I got my money's worth. Warframe I have 50 hours in on PC and I'm still in the early game. Its a very good game and of course its free, so it was well worth it. Gameplay is very fun.

Anthem... well I was getting bored after just a few hours of playing the demo and once I'd finished all the demo's content I was done. Combat feels great for a while but the lack of any intelligence in the AI and lack of any variety in environments or mission design just made the game so boring to play, so quickly. Add on to that the horrible loading all the time and its just bad.

I'm starting to think I don't even want Dragon Age 4 to come out, its clear Bioware has lost all of its talent. DA4 would just be another huge disappointment.

Xevross

Legend

nnodley

i'm still of the mind that it's much better than a 60.  Story is pretty good though it still has that weird structure these co-op open world game games tend to have, but I like the story a lot more than destiny. Loading times really are not that long, but the amount of them is the most annoying.  The stories you can hear and talk about at fort tarsis are great, but sucks they don't lead to different story missions or endings like ME and others.

Xevross

i'm still of the mind that it's much better than a 60.  Story is pretty good though it still has that weird structure these co-op open world game games tend to have, but I like the story a lot more than destiny. Loading times really are not that long, but the amount of them is the most annoying.  The stories you can hear and talk about at fort tarsis are great, but sucks they don't lead to different story missions or endings like ME and others.
I get the feeling your opinion will keep dropping. I've read enough reviews and opinions to know that this game just wears you down. Hoping you still enjoy it though, of course!

AJ's review is at 2 million views already, holy crud. Its got a great L/D as well (113k likes to 3.1k dislikes), so people aren't hating on the review either. Legs are not gonna be good for this game, word that the game is meh has reached everyone.

nnodley

I get the feeling your opinion will keep dropping. I've read enough reviews and opinions to know that this game just wears you down. Hoping you still enjoy it though, of course!

AJ's review is at 2 million views already, holy crud. Its got a great L/D as well (113k likes to 3.1k dislikes), so people aren't hating on the review either. Legs are not gonna be good for this game, word that the game is meh has reached everyone.
yeah we will see.  i think i am at the point in the story where it falls off for people.  I do feel i'll keep enjoying it so far though.

kitler53

Some very good points here. This type of game seems like the dream mesh of genres. I remember when Destiny was first announced and my hype was beyond belief, but this is just so true of all of these games at launch. Destiny 2 forsaken is apparently a brilliant game, Bungie have found the way to make it work. As have Ubi with The Division, which is in a great state now. Warframe is one of the most loved games now as well. Yet Anthem has learned nothing from these games and is launching possibly even worse than any of them, making the same mistakes they did with some new even worse mistakes.
as a guy who is playing destiny a lot lately,...

...i wouldn't call forsaken brilliant.  it is better though.  from your picture it basically corrected the "shooter" problem.  their is an actual campaign with actual level design and set pieces.  not the best campaign in the world but a campaign didn't suck like in the previous releases.  it still has all the other problems,.. loot is very grindy and samey.  story narrative isn't anything to brag about.  

basically i play destiny because the moment to moment gameplay is good and because i have a friend that i have a standing thursday night gaming night date with.  there are only so many games that have online gameplay that isn't pvp (a thing we both hate).  my friend is kind of poor too so he can't afford to buy a game to only play a 12 hour campaign worth of co-op.  we were playing monster hunter for a while but the co-op in that is frustratingly bad.  thus destiny it is!

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I pretty much watched all of the Angry Legend video.  

And it sounds less like a bad game.  And more like a good game with a host of bad design and story issues.  

Some of that can be fixed pretty easily with a patch, some of it requires a lot of work.

Go Up