Anthem: bet on the metacritic 60 mc (61 reviews) 60 oc (54 reviews)

Started by Legend, Feb 16, 2019, 06:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

DerNebel

So Crackdown and Anthem destroyed in reviews, Far Cry not faring much better... Metro pretty much the only of the big releases from mid February that actually reviewed well, but that series has never that big in the first place... you know I actually appreciate that they were given some extra time to get away from these releases and to polish up the game a bit more but I think Days Gone would have been fine if it stuck to it's original Feb 20th release date :D

Xevross

So Crackdown and Anthem destroyed in reviews, Far Cry not faring much better... Metro pretty much the only of the big releases from mid February that actually reviewed well, but that series has never that big in the first place... you know I actually appreciate that they were given some extra time to get away from these releases and to polish up the game a bit more but I think Days Gone would have been fine if it stuck to it's original Feb 20th release date :D

Yeah maybe it would, although anthem could still be a huge launch. General audience seems fairly interested.

Also we've only had about 5 scored reviews and the "day one" patch seems extensive. I see this landing in the 70s, which is okay and good enough for a game like this.

Xevross

5.5/10 from flickeringmyth, will go on open apparently. Maybe it won't reach 70 after all ;D

Legend

I'm really suprised how bad it is scoring. It looked fun and cool in a lot of ways. Should have at least been a C game.

Xevross

Feb 19, 2019, 10:25 PM Last Edit: Feb 19, 2019, 10:33 PM by Xevross
I'm really suprised how bad it is scoring. It looked fun and cool in a lot of ways. Should have at least been a C game.
Yeah and it seems like it is fun and cool, but coming from Bioware no one expected that the story would actually be really bad and really short, which would have redeemed it. The only positives I've seen are graphics, sound design and gameplay. And everything else is pretty much unanimously disliked.

It takes Destiny's poor mission design and turns it into a new level of shame. And co-op gameplay doesn't redeem it like in Destiny, as apparently co-op seems like it was an afterthought and this game was designed to be SP. If you're with your friends you miss a lot of the dialogue due to how the game delivers it, for example. Seems like Bioware did want to make a SP game but EA forced them to make it a GaaS destiny like game. Real shame. It doesn't help that the game is quite broken right now, and the day one patch will fix a lot of that, but most reviews seem to only be mentioning the bugs as a small thing and the rest of the game is still poor.

And decisions like loot and xp only being given and shown to you once you finish an expedition/ mission. If you have to leave halfway through or you DC, you get 0 rewards. There's also a loot limit so you have to stop at some point and go load back into the hub zone to check it all and then go back out. The loading screens are awfully long as well.

I've heard the phrase "game designed in a boardroom" and the like too many times already.

Man, how the fudge is this a bioware game? Its completely backwards.

Xevross

Finally another review from a major site... and its a 7/10 from Destructoid. Review: Anthem

3 scored reviews on meta now that are all 70s, not a single score higher than 70 for it yet either.

Dr. Pezus

Will end up around 65 imo

I don't think any of us will be within range lol

Xevross

Best reviewer has the part 1 up.

Will end up around 65 imo

I don't think any of us will be within range lol
Depends how many reviewers wait for day one patch and how good that patch is

ethomaz

Anthem wants to take the title of worst game of 2019 from Crackdown 3.

Dr. Pezus

Best reviewer has the part 1 up.
Depends how many reviewers wait for day one patch and how good that patch is
No way a patch can increase the score that much. If it could, why didn't EA delay the release a few days?

Legend

No way a patch can increase the score that much. If it could, why didn't EA delay the release a few days?
The game needed to be done a while ago. Game gets approved by platform holders, discs are stamped, and boxes make their way to stores. A day one patch could easily be a month of work.

Xevross

EA were never going to delay. Anthem is only out now because EA want it to be. Bioware knew it wasn't ready, but EA didn't care. And they forced anthem to be put on this early access shame they've been pushing even thought its clearly hurt the game more than anything. EA are clueless, that much is clear.

And I think the patch could help a lot, there's a very long list of issues being fixed and people's experiences are being quite negatively affected by these right now. I'm not saying the patch will do anything crazy, but it might help the game reach the 71+ to put it in my range :P

Xevross

Anthem Review - No I In Team - GameSpot

6/10 from Gamespot

Also the "day one" patch has gone live, apparently loading times are much improved. Guess we'll see if it makes a difference.

Dr. Pezus

Anthem Review - No I In Team - GameSpot

6/10 from Gamespot

Also the "day one" patch has gone live, apparently loading times are much improved. Guess we'll see if it makes a difference.
Ain't reaching 71 lol

Go Up