Microsoft: "Our future Gears of War, future Forzas, future Halos"

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 23, 2018, 04:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

darkknightkryta

But the shelf life of these games are about 1 year and profits dramatically drop after the first month. Treating games like a service will keep it profitable for longer and maximise the return with microtransactions.
I'm afraid this is the state we're in because it's a model that can weap huge returns.
The Gears and Halo franchise are quite well suited for this type of model.

But to go back to the story this was taken from, I think this makes Xbox game pass very appealing. Something Sony can counter by letting people download games and also stream with the PS Now subscription.

On a side note, why isn't the PS Now tech used to play demos? It seems like an obvious thing to do and I don't want to download huge demos to play for 5 minutes.
When PS Now was still Gaikai, David Perry was actually planning to do just this.  Have the service be used for advertising.  Advertise Call of Duty at IGN for instance, click on the banner and it'd expand and start running a demo of the game.  If I recall correctly, Sony even said before the PS4 launched that they were planning to do just that for demos.  But I guess the cost for running PS Now is too high.  No reason to kill it on PS3 or the T.V.s unless they were losing money.  I think they should make a cross licensing agreement with Netflix and add PS Now as a service for a slightly higher cost.