Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Bungie found a workaround for the loading (that only happens when you are traveling to a new destination... when you are in the open world area of destination there is no loading).

Bungie put the menu inventory to be used all the time including the loading so you can setup your guardian at the load screen making the load time feels smaller than it is.

BTW load time in Destiny relies strong in the guy with the weakest connection in your fireteam... solo with good connection is not that slow.
Destiny devs: hey we have long load times, what should we do?

Other Destiny devs: why not let people change their loadouts during loading?

Anthem devs: hey we have long load times, what should we do?

Other Anthem devs: why not make it so that the loadout menu can only be accessed by loading into a specific area?

Thing is, almost the entire dragon age team was transferred to Anthem to help try and make something resembling a finished game by the time EA were forcing them to have it finished by. There is no "dragon age team" any more, and I think Anthem shows that there's not really much creative talent from anyone who worked on it, and that includes Dragon Age people.

The people who made Bioware so amazing are long gone, and EA won't let them make another pure RPG like their past games again. Bioware is basically dead already.
Mass Effect Andromeda was still cool in a lot of ways. They need better management at Bioware or EA that can pull the games together with a central vision. Anthem has great elements and could have easily been an 7.5/10 game if it was packaged better.

the-pi-guy

I haven't played destiny, but I really like that solution to load times.  

I love figuring stuff out like that.

Xevross

Feb 25, 2019, 03:55 PM Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019, 04:00 PM by Xevross
Destiny devs: hey we have long load times, what should we do?

Other Destiny devs: why not let people change their loadouts during loading?

Anthem devs: hey we have long load times, what should we do?

Other Anthem devs: why not make it so that the loadout menu can only be accessed by loading into a specific area?

Mass Effect Andromeda was still cool in a lot of ways. They need better management at Bioware or EA that can pull the games together with a central vision. Anthem has great elements and could have easily been an 7.5/10 game if it was packaged better.
Lol, yep.

And yet the Andromeda team is no more, they merged with EA motive, which worked on the star wars game with Visceral until... well... Motive is apparently working on another project as well, but that's probably not anything to do with Bioware.

Anthem was worked on for 6 years yet its still mediocre in every way. 7.5/10 should not be some target for Bioware, even 7.5/10 should be beneath them, yet here we are. I have no faith in EA or Bioware at all. I expect Anthem will be supported by a small team and either Bioware gets shut down or DA4 does indeed get worked on, but is just as disappointing.

Its a cool solution, but you're not loading that much in Destiny anyway. You don't have to keep going back to the hub all the time to pick up new contracts or because you've hit your loot limit, or to check what your loot actually is.

Loading screens are pretty much never a problem in games any more, so when something as bad as Anthem comes along its no wonder there's so much attention brought to thing like this.

ethomaz

It is great to prepare your char skills and gears before the next PVP match or PVE activity.

I'm to say (having the risk to be wrong) that Destiny was innovator in that inventory menu accessed all the time... I never saw that in others game I played.

Xevross

It is great to prepare your char skills and gears before the next PVP match or PVE activity.

I'm to say (having the risk to be wrong) that Destiny was innovator in that inventory menu accessed all the time... I never saw that in others game I played.
The first game to have an inventory you can access all the time, or during loading screens??

ethomaz

Feb 25, 2019, 08:07 PM Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019, 08:11 PM by ethomaz
The first game to have an inventory you can access all the time, or during loading screens??
Yes.

That is how you prepare for strikes, Nightfall, raids, PVP... hit Option and change however you want.

You can either watch your ship travel in the void or manage inventory.

the-pi-guy

r/inclusiveor

Xevross

Yes.

That is how you prepare for strikes, Nightfall, raids, PVP... hit Option and change however you want.

You can either watch your ship travel in the void or manage inventory.
Yes? That ain't an answer!

Well if you're talking about loading screens then fair enough, I can't think of any other game which did that. Although most games the loading screens aren't long enough for that to be useful.

But accessing your inventory at any time... its like not even in the first 1000 games to do that.

ethomaz

Yes? That ain't an answer!

Well if you're talking about loading screens then fair enough, I can't think of any other game which did that. Although most games the loading screens aren't long enough for that to be useful.

But accessing your inventory at any time... its like not even in the first 1000 games to do that.
Anytime includes loading screen I think... no?

I played games that let you play a minigame in load screens but never to manage your inventory so I found it so next-gen when I played Destiny but seems like it is an exception.

Legend

Anytime includes loading screen I think... no?

I played games that let you play a minigame in load screens but never to manage your inventory so I found it so next-gen when I played Destiny but seems like it is an exception.
Destiny load screens are essentially matchmaking. If you compare it to multiplayer games, lots of games let you edit your loadout while loading the map and searching for players.

Legend

Horizon Zero Dawn has sold well over 10 million copies worldwide (2 year anniversary update) | ResetEra

It's hard to believe that two whole years have passed since we released Horizon Zero Dawn. When the game launched on February 28, I was attending GDC and counting down the minutes with a group of fellow Guerrillas and Shuhei Yoshida. Early feedback suggested that we had something special on our hands, but we never suspected that we'd still be receiving daily messages of appreciation from our players in 2019.  Click to expand...      And yet, here we are, already well over 10 million copies sold worldwide; the idea that we were able to bring Aloy's journey to so many players is astounding. We've been deeply moved by the enormous amount of fan creations you've posted online, as well as the heartfelt letters you've sent sharing your favorite moments from Aloy's journey.  Click to expand...  https://blog.us.playstation.com/201...anniversary-10-million-copies-sold-worldwide/

Sales history :
 - 2.6m in 2 weeks
 - 7.6m in 1 year
 - Over 10m in 2 years

From Hermen Hulst - Managing Director and Co-Founder of Guerrilla Games :

nnodley

Dr. Pezus

Over 10m for a new IP is crazy!

Cute Pikachu

Very good numbers
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide: